PDA

View Full Version : Win low wall

GOPHER SLAYER
01-18-2010, 07:12 PM
I started a thread back in Dec., saying I wanted to share pictures of my single shot rifles. I had no trouble uploading my Martini cadet but then the train left the rails and I had to call on my daughter to get me back on track. I would make this epistle longer but she has to get home and type my granddaughter's school report. I will just say that I got this low wall along with six others in a trade which cost me some very cherished guns but I think in retrospect that I got the better of the deal. I will give more info when I get to the other guns.

No_1
01-18-2010, 07:51 PM
That is a very nice looking rifle. Can you provide some details about it?

Robert

GOPHER SLAYER
01-18-2010, 09:31 PM
Yes No.1 I can. When I made the trade for the collection of seven rifles, I was not particularly interested in the low wall. After several years, I only have two left and of course it is one of them. This rifle was sold to the U.S. Army and is so marked, complete with the flaming bomb. They were used as inexspensive traing rifles.It retains about 95 percent of the original blue and the wood is in great shape, except for the right side of the pistol grip were some previous owner {idiot} decided to try his hand at checkering. I took more pictures of the right side with my new camera but they did not turn out as well as my daughters camera produced. As I stated earlier the gun is in great condition on the outside. The same cannot be said for the bore. It looks lke the inside of your cars muffler. It is chambered for the .22 short, but the chamber has been recut to long rifle , which it will not stabilize because of the slow twist. The bullits would turn sideways at fifty yards. One day I had the gun at the range and I got a bright idea. {I don't get many} I tried five .22cal minimags. Bingo, It shot a group I could cover with a dime at fifty yrds. I suppose it was because the mini mag uses the same weight bullit as the short. The Army also bought Win Hi Walls, some of which are reffered to as Winder muskets. I don't know which ones. I have a fondness forWinchester single shots and I have have owned some nice ones but sadly I don't have them now.

Southern Son
01-19-2010, 04:12 AM
very sweet rifle.

Bad Ass Wallace
01-25-2010, 09:07 AM
I have one off getting a new barrel fitted and this one in 32WCF fited with a BSA No. 8 aperature sight

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/3220LW.jpg

GOPHER SLAYER
01-25-2010, 05:40 PM
B.A. Wallace,you and I share a taste for nice single shot rifles. I have some very nice ones waiting in the wings . At a younger age I would have converted my low wall trainer to a sporter like yours, that was before I saw the light .Of course that would be commiting one of the seven deadly sins. I don't remember which one. Come judgement day ,I would have to answer for it.