PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get started

Mattog22
01-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Trying to get started casting my own. I want to start off casting for my revolvers. I will be casting for the .500 S&W, 44 mag, .357, and .38. Is there any link that can help me get started with equipment and techniques? I have also been calling around trying to find a source for lead such as wheel weights but all the tire shops have contracts for someone to come and recycle them so I am having trouble there too. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks everyone.

Matt

beagle
01-18-2010, 06:53 PM
On wheelweights, sometimes you have to go in person and be prepared to shell out a little $$$$ for the guys on the floor for pizza when the boss is gone. His stock answer is we give them back for recycling. That his answer for the EPA nosies. When you get to the guys that sweep the floor, usually money talks./beagle

targetshootr
01-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Small places off the beaten path work best. And I wouldn't bother calling, better to show up with a cast boolit to show 'em. Most guys don't cast so they're fascinated.

Faret
01-18-2010, 08:24 PM
On wheelweights, sometimes you have to go in person and be prepared to shell out a little $$$$ for the guys on the floor for pizza when the boss is gone. His stock answer is we give them back for recycling. That his answer for the EPA nosies. When you get to the guys that sweep the floor, usually money talks./beagle
Unless you know the boss!!!:razz:

01-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Mattog22,

Here's what I did:
Read the stickies in each different forum.
Spent a lot of time here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/f-8.html
And here: http://www.castpics.net/
And here: http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Also, you can:
Request catalogues from Lyman, RCBS, Midsouth, Midway, etc.
Buy Lyman's "Cast Bullet Handbook" and read through it three or four times.

Inquiring by phone for wheel weights, as mentioned, does not work. You need to visit each store in person. Find out what the weights are worth, i.e. doughnuts, sodas, pizza, boolits, fishing weights, cash...they'll let you know. Be sure to take a 5-gallon bucket with you.

kbstenberg
01-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Faret for technique to casting. Just start reading the stickies. Learning will be a lot faster than by learning on your own. Also the Lyman book on casting is very informative. No one will make fun of any question you ask because most everyone here has had the prob. you have or have made the mistake you made. There will be fixes you never thought of.

sucngas
01-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Another thought for aquiring wheel weights, make sure you include a bucket of weights in the negotiations next time you buy a set of tires. I also agree that it is far better to ask in person, rather than over the phone. I had much better luck in the mom and pop shops in small towns, I didn't get a single weight out of any tire shop in Helena, but tire shops in Dillon, Townsend, and Anaconda were all very willing to help out.

docone31
01-18-2010, 09:41 PM
The best advice I can give is keep the entire process simple!!! Simple works real well.
Bring a five gallon pail to the tire places! I have gotten wheel weights by bringing a pail.
Talk to roofers. Lead is on every roof.
Scrappers usually have a 55 gallon drum in the back, full of oil, water, and wheel weights.
You can find roof lead, wheel weights, zinc. Everything.
If worst comes to worse, buy it! Ebay, Rotometals up above, fellow casters here.
The list goes on, and if you are creative, you will be amazed!
Keep it simple. Keep Lee molds hot to cast with. Keep the pot hot. Even if you get zinc, the extra heat will allow it to pass.
Do not ingot from your casting pot! Find another way!
In all. Keep it simple.
You can do it.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-18-2010, 10:52 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. There are a lot of people using a lot of different types and brands of equipment. Its best to do as much reading as you can before making any commitment. 462 made some excellent recommendations on where to go right here on the forum and what reference material to check out as well as catalogues to obtain. Ask questions constantly and someone will always answer you. The more knowledge you build up then the easier it is to make the right decisions when the time comes to do so. Although you are eager to begin, use the interim time to A) line up your funds and B) scrounge for Wheelweights. Lead, Linotype, and read other people's experiences, problems, solutions and their successes and C) start taking notes/setting up your record keeping. Best of Luck. LLS

Mattog22
01-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Thank you guys for all the help, I realized real quick that the phone method does not work. If they ask for cash how much is a reasonable price? In other words, how much are you guys giving on average in cash when they ask? Thanks for the links to the sticky's, since I don't know all the terms it made searching a little more difficult.

Matt

epj
01-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Around these parts $20-25 is usually the minimum going price for a 5 gal bucket. The 5 gal bucket, which really may be a 6-7 gal bucket, should weigh between 125-150 lb. It should yield at least 100 lb of alloy unless it's full of trash.

BrianB
01-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Scrap recyclers in my area buy WW's from tire dealers, shops for about 10 cents a pound then turn around and sell it for about 80 cents per pound. So, the tire guys who are selling it to recyclers aren't getting much.

The prices may be different in your area, but I'm sure the recycler mark-up is about the same. Maybe that will help you determine what WW's are worth in your area.