PDA

View Full Version : Enfield Number1 MKIII

Dakoma
01-18-2010, 05:35 AM
Got a good deal on 2 Enfield No.1 MKIII rifles that were converted to 410ga. singleshot shotguns,one is in great shape the other has isues,small parts missing,safety,triggerguard and trigger,missing upper handguard but most of all the barrel has deep pits in one side that make me cringe.I went to my book Cartridges of the World and in no thme found the 40-70 Maynard,it showed pictures of the 40-60 also and the 40-40 and all brass can be formed from the 303 British blowed out straight and shooting cast boolets of 260,270,300 and 330gr.with a diameter of .417.I thought great I will rebarrel and have it chambered for the 40-70 Maynard and also can shoot the 40-60 just need to figure out what twist barrel and who to send it to for a rebarrel.Well seems gunsmiths I have found act like the rifle has Leprosy or some other bad desease and have had no luck.Any help would be apreciated as far as a gunsmith and barrel twist to fire cast boolets of these weights.This cartridge was used for hunting and target shooting and would be great for Hog,Black Bear and Deer hunting here in Tennessee.Any help please ? Dakoma:smile:

Cactus Farmer
01-18-2010, 05:57 AM
I have a reamer that fits 30-40 Krag blown out to 2.3". 40-60 Maynard is 2.1" and I just couldn't see cutting off perfectly good brass so.......
It will hold 65-70 grains of black depending on the density of the powder your using. Smokeless is what ever you want. I'm sure it will send a 400 grn pill screaming with nitro cellulose behind it.
PM me and we'll talk. Lewis

Dakoma
01-19-2010, 12:47 AM
I have a reamer that fits 30-40 Krag blown out to 2.3". 40-60 Maynard is 2.1" and I just couldn't see cutting off perfectly good brass so.......
It will hold 65-70 grains of black depending on the density of the powder your using. Smokeless is what ever you want. I'm sure it will send a 400 grn pill screaming with nitro cellulose behind it.
PM me and we'll talk. Lewis

Sure will ,and I might add you build one of the best and pretty rifles I have ever seen.Dakoma:shock: