PDA

View Full Version : Best lube for .44 cal conical?

Captain*Kirk
01-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Looking for the best lube for my cast (pure lead) .44 cal conical boolits for my BP pistols. I've been using Crisco, but it't messy. These boolits have grooves around the base, and I''m planning on rolling paper cartridges with them.....any suggestions?

MtGun44
01-18-2010, 02:59 AM
SPG is made for BP. Seems like a good fit.

Bill

Dale53
01-18-2010, 12:28 PM
My choice of lube for black powder cartridge guns has long been "Emmert's Home Mix". It is 50% pure natural beeswax, 40% Crisco, and 10% Canola Oil. In the past few years I have modified this by replacing the Canola Oil with Anhydrous Lanolin for longer lube life on the bullet.

This has worked extremely well with my Black Powder Cartridge Rifles as well as my .45 Colt revolvers. I pan lube several hundred bullets at a time using 9" cake pans. It pan lubes quite well.

Do NOT overheat the lube as this will destroy the properties of this fine lube. I use a double boiler.

By the way, the mix is in melted volume. I use a large Pyrex cup (one quart size) to mix the lube using the graduations on the container. If you put a couple of canning lids in the bottom of a sauce pan, then sit the Pyrex cup on top you have a dandy double boiler with no damage to the sauce pan.

FWIW
Dale53