PDA

View Full Version : Best lube for .44 cal conical?

Captain*Kirk
01-18-2010, 01:54 AM
Looking for the best lube for my cast (pure lead) .44 cal conical boolits for my BP pistols. I've been using Crisco, but it't messy. These boolits have grooves around the base, and I''m planning on rolling paper cartridges with them.....any suggestions?

NickSS
01-18-2010, 04:33 AM
If what you are loading is a cap and ball revolver I would lube the lube groove with SPG or some other black powder cartridge lube (I make my own out of 40% bees wax, 40 % White crisco and 20% olive oil by volume). I would also put a felt wad soaked in the same lube and then let dry before loading it under the bullet. This should keep you shooting for a good number of rounds.

StrawHat
01-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Whatever lube you use, make sure it doesn't carry through the paper into the powder.

Good luck with the paper cartridge project.

Maven
01-18-2010, 01:05 PM
"I would lube the lube groove with SPG or some other black powder cartridge lube (I make my own out of 40% bees wax, 40 % White crisco and 20% olive oil by volume."

Captain*Kirk, NickSS's recipe for BP lube is close enough to Emmert's Lube for your purposes and easy enough to make. Just don't overheat the ingredients when preparing it. Btw, the recipes for traditional Emmert's Lube that I've read, made no mention of lanolin. However, Dale53 adds it for better adhesion to the CB.