PDA

View Full Version : Garand In The Snow.

Uncle R.
01-18-2010, 12:55 AM
Got a mild case of cabin fever yesterday and found myself out at the range with an old and close friend for a few hours of shooting in the snow. We were supposedly checking zeroes for a steel plate match next weekend but mostly were just out to burn some powder.
Thinking that it might be fun to shoot the plate match with iron sights and a classic rifle I took out the "CMP Special" Garand that I bought a little over a year ago. I had test fired it with Greek and LC ball ammo when it first came to me and was well pleased with the results but I confess that I haven't worked with it since.
Anyway, I got her zeroed with HXP 74 Greek at 200 yards and as I worked with the rifle I fell in love again. I shot prone with the GI leather sling that came with the rifle. It was Wisconsin winter cold and I was bundled up in multiple layers. As I struggled into the sling I found a "winter" problem that I'd never noticed with the cotton "M14" slings that I usually use. Even with the forward loop let out to the last pair of slots I couldn't raise the muzzle enough to get on target from prone. I had to remove my outer coat to get a good Point Of Aim. A cold but happy shooter, I was soon keeping them on an 8" square target at 200 yards again and again and again and... Even better, I was calling the location of the hits in the square with fair accuracy.
I know that's nothing much to a serious high power competitor but to a dub like me - with my not-so-good-anymore vision and using issue iron sights it's phenomonal.
I sure do like my "CMP Special" Garand with the brand-new Criterion barrel. I suspect that someone with more skill than me could keep that HXP ball very close to 2 MOA and real match-grade ammo would probably - well I certainly wouldn't be able to do it justice with those irons. I have other rifles that are more accurate - and carry scopes that make ME more accurate at shooting them - but that Garand is just a lot of fun to shoot and a solid performer as well.
This is my third Garand. The first two were very disappointing, but I hit the jackpot this time. THIS one's not for sale.
:smile:
Uncle R.

exile
01-18-2010, 03:20 AM
Good for you. I dream of Garands, but I have never been able to afford one, yet.

exile

Lead Fred
01-18-2010, 04:18 AM
The M1 Garand comes well tested in winter.

My uncle was one of the field testers

http://www.bevinalexander.com/korea/photos/korea-032.jpg

dualsport
01-18-2010, 02:10 PM
exile; I got mine, it took a year to save up. Get a 'Garand jar' and put all your change and some 1s in there. It adds up fast.

zuke
01-18-2010, 02:16 PM
I went to Walmart and picked up an automatic coin sorter for $20.00. You put in your change, slide a button over and it sort's it all out.
You take a paper sleve and pour the change into it and your done.
That's how I get all my expensive toy's.
Empty your pocket every day and you'll be surprised how fast it add's up.

garandsrus
01-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Uncle R,

As you found, HXP ball shoots great! I have found that it's almost as good as match ammo.

John

dualsport
01-19-2010, 01:16 AM
P.B.-If it was me I probably woulda pm'd that one.

Lead Fred
01-19-2010, 02:57 AM
Lead Fred

"Live free or die - death is not the worst of evils." is a quote from General John Stark not Robert Rogers.

See ya just cant trust the stuff you read on the internet. I found that one a Roger's Rangers website.

dualsport
01-19-2010, 09:15 PM
PHIN, well said/well done. Like they say, no harm no foul. I may have been in a slightly crabby frame of mind and over reacted. The upside is now we all know something interesting from history. It sounds like you know your history, can you recommend a book about Roger's Rangers? I'm almost done with "A Time for Trumpets" by CB McDonald. It's a beast of a book about the Battle of the Bulge.

Echo
01-21-2010, 11:11 PM
It sounds like you know your history, can you recommend a book about Roger's Rangers? I'm almost done with "A Time for Trumpets" by CB McDonald. It's a beast of a book about the Battle of the Bulge.

+1 on a book about Roger's Rangers...

David2011
01-22-2010, 02:04 AM
I was fortunate enough to get a CMP Special Garand in 2007. It is a beautiful specimen and shoots well. It will hold well inside 2" at 100 yd. I've been shooting 48-50 grains of 4064 with 147-150 gr bullets. The first 3 at 100 yds last Sunday were in a 1-1/4" group. I had already shot some at closer distances after someone looking at my rifle reached out and gave one of the sight adjustment knobs a healthy turn for me. Point being, it had several fouling shots before the 100 yd attempt. I LOVE shooting that rifle. What other .30-'06 can you shoot a few dozen rounds through without major bruising? I'm looking forward to culling feral hogs with it.

David

David

smokemjoe
01-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Keep shooting them iron sights, your eyes will come back better the more you use irons.Joe

leadman
02-07-2010, 01:51 AM
I believe smokemjoe is right.

madsenshooter
02-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Yeah, target fuzzy, front sight sharp. My problem is the itty bitty pupils I have. I have to have a big hole in a rear peep in order to collect enough light. Those national match apertures just don't cut it.

DanOH
02-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Yeah, target fuzzy, front sight sharp. My problem is the itty bitty pupils I have. I have to have a big hole in a rear peep in order to collect enough light. Those national match apertures just don't cut it.

I have the opposite trouble with my garand.
It has the battle sights with the big peep in back.
Front sight is on the furry side, target looks good.
Ihave shooting glasses for pistol shooting that helps with sharpening up
the picture but it goes a touch too far and the target is a blob...
I don't shoot the thing enough to invest in just the right lense.
I need to change that....

NHlever
02-07-2010, 11:35 AM
You might enjoy books by Kenneth Roberts of Maine. They show a different slant on the War, and make a good read. History based fiction. "Rabble in Arms" I believe is the one about the Robert's Rangers.

376Steyr
02-07-2010, 04:02 PM
"Northwest Passage" is the one with Roger's Rangers. It was also made into a movie with Spencer Tracy. Hopefully Hollywood won't try to remake the movie.