PDA

View Full Version : new project and a question

Richard B
01-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Hi folks

This is my first post altough I have been trying to soak up as much wisdom as possible from previous posts.

I decied that I needed a walking around/target/plinking gun and was able to find a Savage Model 23C in .32-20 that is on the way to me. I was able to round up cases, primers and a nice selection of cast bullets ( 96,98 and 115 grn). Ken Waters suggested that I try Unique and ebay provided an inexpensive set of Lee loading dies.

So far so good but my question revolves around sights.The rifle has open sights and my old eyes definitely prefer either receiver sghts or a scope and based on research a reciever sight will be difficult to find so I will probably scope the rifle until I locate the receiver sights(I am an optimist). What scope base would I use to mount a 1" scope?

thanks

Richard

mpmarty
01-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Try here:
http://www.leupold.com/

geargnasher
01-17-2010, 08:28 PM
My first call would be to Savage. I believe that gun is drilled/tapped already for a weaver-style base, (more than sufficient for your purposes). Another tack would be look it up at Midwayusa.com or brownells.com by application. There are also a few web companies that specialize in sight mounts and bases, google should help here.

BTW, for general use, I've found the red-dot type sights to be very fast and cooperative with my bad eyes, you might look at some of those if you don't mind turning them on/off all the time.

Gear

WHITETAIL
01-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Richard B, Welcome to the forum!:drinks:

Shiloh
01-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Weaver makes bases for most rifles. Check to see if Weaver has a sight to find what yu need, then order from one of the common vendors. Midway, Natchez, Midsouth Shooters Supply, ect.
Brownells may be more informative with what you need.

Prices are usually more economical from someone other than the factory.

Shiloh

Bent Ramrod
01-18-2010, 06:00 PM
A friend of mine has a 23B in .25-20, and his gunsmith drilled and tapped the top of the receiver-cum-barrel for standard Weaver bases and then put a standard 4X Weaver scope in them. This, of course, does nothing for the gun's "collector's item" factor, but he bought the rifle to shoot, and that it does quite well.

When the rifles were in production, generally they were drilled on the left side to take the Weaver "T" mounts or suchlike. These were single pieces of sheet metal which went around the side of the receiver and had half-circular flanges to hold the 3/4" scopes of the day over the center of the receiver/barrel. Two semicircular straps were screwed over the scope to hold it in the mount.

The factory-drilled holes in the top of the receiver were for a special sight that (I believe) only Savage made. It was normally put on their 1919 NRA model, and optional on the rest of the 23 series. These sights are pretty uncommon, but might show up from time to time at gun shows or on e-bay. A guy named Garry Fellers in Texas used to sell a lot of iron sights; if he is still in business maybe he has one. But it would probably be cheaper to D&T and mount a Weaver.

Marvin S
01-18-2010, 08:49 PM
There has been quite a bit of info posted about these lately just search for it. I just got a 23B 25-20 and just shot it for the first time today.
Most all of these were never drilled and tapped from the factory other than the two holes spaced about 1 1/16" apart and positioned @12:00 on the rear of the receiver. If you have other holes in it chances are you can find a sight still in production to fit it. Lots of them seem to have the stock notched out for this.The other post I speak of have pictures attached.Also welcome to best shooting board on the net.

canyon-ghost
01-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I love your choice of caliber, the 32-20 is excellent in cast. I shoot a 10" barreled TC Contender in 32-20. The two loads that Ive worked up are with 2400 but, Unique is always a good choice too. Most all my contenders have Weaver bases and rings #49042, the quick detach with steel tops. I do lap all mine in so, I have no damage to the scope finish. I really like the steel topped rings as opposed to the all aluminum ones. #49042 is a high ring for 40mm scopes, 1", in matte black finish.

Hope that helps some,

Ron

grouch
01-19-2010, 01:43 PM
Try contacting Lyman and Williams, tell them the diameter of your reciever and which side it needs to be. Chances are good they'll have something that can be made to fit.
Grouch

badgeredd
01-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi folks

This is my first post altough I have been trying to soak up as much wisdom as possible from previous posts.

I decied that I needed a walking around/target/plinking gun and was able to find a Savage Model 23C in .32-20. What scope base would I use to mount a 1" scope?

thanks

Richard

FWIW, I have a 23B that has had a Redfield one piece steel mount installed. It doesn't appear to be made for the rifle as the mount is modified over the loading port to allow better access to the area. It is screwed into one of the rear original holes (the forward one) and the barrel is d&t for the front screws. It a nice looking steel mount with steel Redfield rings.

I love my 25-20 and have thought often about trying to find a 32-20.

Edd

2Tite
01-19-2010, 02:33 PM
That's funny. I have the same project in mind for warmer weather. I picked up the Savage a couple of months ago. I have several suitable molds and intend to start trying it out as soon as it gets warmer. The last few days I've been refinshing the wood. Mine is scoped with an older Unertl fixed power scope. I can look to see if the one piece base has any markings as to #'s but I don't think it does. It might be interesting to share load data and results if you're up for that........

Richard B
01-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all the help. It looks like a trip to the gunsmith to have it drilled and tapped is the solution. I like the idea of a fixed power 4X sight and might look for an old El Paso Weaver (I have a 2 1/2x on my .35 Rem)

I would be more than happy to share load data when the rifle arrives some time in February. I hope that our weather holds as February can be brutal in Alberta.

Richard

Bret4207
01-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Don't bother calling Savage, they don't have anything for the 23 series. Weaver still lists and produces bases for the 23 series, I forget the numbers, but IIRC the rear base mounts on the recv'r and front on the barrel. All my 23's (22, 25-20,32-20) have scopes, 3 have Weaver bases- 2 standard and one sidemount. The side mount is still available too for 3/4 and 1" I think.

A word of advice- should you run onto any 23 magazines GRAB THEM. They're like gold.

You got a fantastic rifle, enjoy. If you can find one a Lyman 311316 is tops in this cartridge/gun combo. You can run them up into the 1800 fps area easily.

Richard B
01-20-2010, 09:01 AM
You got a fantastic rifle, enjoy. If you can find one a Lyman 311316 is tops in this cartridge/gun combo. You can run them up into the 1800 fps area easily.

Thanks Brett

I was wondering about the strength of this action as there seems to be several loading levels recommended in the reloading books. I am not a load to the max kinda guy, if I need more power I just get a bigger cartridge.

Richard

Bret4207
01-20-2010, 01:02 PM
If you run the 23's too hot the lug will set back, kind of like the 43 Win. I've had 85 gr stuff up over 21-2200 fps with no issue. I'd guess they'd run fine with Win 92 loads, but use you're own judgment. The 32-20 really kills out of proportion for it's energy IMO, I'm happy with the 311316 at 15-1600 fps up to coyotes sized stuff.