PDA

View Full Version : 45 Colt and Varget

Taylor
01-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Don't think it would work,never have tried it...but I just loaded 35 rounds with 6 gr of Varget. The charge was meant to be Titegroup.After I had finished and was placing the left over powder back in to the container, I realized what I had done.I guess I grabbed the wrong can. Damn it man! What a waste. I have a bullet puller but it will not grasp the lead to remove it from the case.At least I caught my mistake before it was to late.

LAcaster
01-17-2010, 08:55 PM
try one of the Impact bullet pullers a couple of good wacks and the round is apart works great for saving the components.

runfiverun
01-17-2010, 10:39 PM
good luck with the whacker.
i have a couple of brand new 44 special cases i finally just threw away.
cast boolits don't like to come out.
shoulda filled the cases full of the varget,

MT Gianni
01-17-2010, 10:48 PM
No die just a shellholder and run it up til just the boolit shows above the press threads. Grasp the boolit with vicegrips and lower. You'll save the cases and the powder, recast the lead.

Uncle R.
01-17-2010, 11:22 PM
No die just a shellholder and run it up til just the boolit shows above the press threads. Grasp the boolit with vicegrips and lower. You'll save the cases and the powder, recast the lead.

Yep - done that too many times when I had a brain fade of my own.
If vise grips doesn't grab boolit good enough - use a big side cutter. After it cuts halfway through boolit it will hold on as you lower the ram to pull the boolit.

Heavy lead
01-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Yep - done that too many times when I had a brain fade of my own.
If vise grips doesn't grab boolit good enough - use a big side cutter. After it cuts halfway through boolit it will hold on as you lower the ram to pull the boolit.

Yup, I have an old Lee Challenger that is set up for two dedicated reasons, first for push through sizing, second for pulling boolits (and bullets in cases that won't fit in a hammer puller). Sidcutters are perfect for this IMO.

crabo
01-18-2010, 01:05 AM
I'm not going to tell you how many I had to pull, twice, but I tried the pliers and vice grips and wore my hands out. I went to a small set of bolt cutters, with about 16" of handle, and it works extremely easily. Like stated before, cut half way into the boolit and even something like the H&G 68 pulls easily.

MtGun44
01-18-2010, 03:02 AM
Hmm. I just pulled down about 150 rds of very old .38 Super salvaged IPSC chrono ammo
yesterday with my hammer type puller. No real problems, just boring as heck. A few had
grown attached to their locations ( this ammo is around 20 yrs old) and took at least 7-8
HARD hits on the concrete to get it to let loose.

Bill

Taylor
01-18-2010, 09:10 AM
I don't mind the work involved to remove the lead, it's the mistake part that bothers me. At least I caught it,but that don't make me any happier about it.