PDA

View Full Version : Smoked cases

Jack Stanley
01-17-2010, 06:15 PM
And no I didn't light one up and take a puff of it :-P

Seldom do I run into cases getting smoked with low pressure loads but here's a question I'm sure one of you can answer . When the cases are getting smoked when the powder is laying wherever in the case but the smoking goes away when the muzzle is tipped up before the shot ...... How much more powder is needed to make the smoking go away for the random position ?

If it helps the load data is ; Outside temperature twenty-eight degrees .
Cartridge ; 7.62X54R Cases ; S&B Primers ; Winchester large rifle
Powder ; Reloder seven Bullets ; 311291 sized a thousanths over groove and just under throat size Lubed with LBT blue BHN ; is ten or so Hornady gas check Over all length just short of rifling . Cases are not sized excessively .

Rifle and ammo were allowed to come down to outside temps before shooting started .

Thanks for any help , Jack

madsenshooter
01-17-2010, 06:44 PM
It takes somewhere around 35,000psi to seal a case. I don't have any references that would tell me how much ReLoader 7 that would be in your case with that bullet. Work up to that point.

Frank46
01-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Try at least .002 over bore dia and also try 4759. Re #7 may be position sensitive. hence the no smoke tipping the barrel gets the powder closer to the primer. Frank

FWAddit
01-19-2010, 09:27 PM
In my experience, RL7 burns weakly at low temperatures. Loads that work nicely in summer may fizzle when chilled below freezing. I second Frank46's recommendation: try IMR 4759.

Jack Stanley
01-19-2010, 09:48 PM
Thanks , if the stuff is temperature sensitive too I'll find something else to use . While I don't have any 4759 on hand I do have 2400 , Blue Dot and a few other things I can try . Not that I have anything against another powder , rather just trying to clean up a few odd ones laying around .

Of course I could just wait till summer to use it up huh? ;-)

Jack

Frank46
01-20-2010, 12:31 AM
I tried RL7 in the 45/70 with 300 gr rem bulk bullets. Up to a point it left unburnt powder granules in the bore. Don't remember the charge weight about when the powder burned completely though. 5744 does the same thing. That's why I suggested 4759, never had a problem with it. 20 grains with lymans 314299 burns clean and accurate. Frank