PDA

View Full Version : 22 Revolver?

dk17hmr
01-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Thinkin I would like to get a 22lr/22mag single action, for plinkin and rabbit hunting. Something with a 6.5" barrel or longer.....about $200 worth of revolver.

That Heritage Rough Rider seems to fit the bill but I would like and adjustable sight, which they do have but cost a bit more.

Anyone have one of those little revolvers?

Bullshop Junior
01-17-2010, 05:10 PM
My dad had one of the old ones, and he said it was junk. He had it before I has ever born. He said after he faced down a big foot with it, he got rid of it.

I have a Ruger Single Six 6.5" that my dad got off of auction arms for about $200 with only the 22 mag cylinder. It was in a flood, and has some pitting, and it shoots better them my dads single six. My dad had a 22 LR cylinder lying around, and we fit it to my gun, and it works good.

Shooter6br
01-17-2010, 05:20 PM
My father said"Buy the best you can afford and cry only once" I had an Arminus 22RF/mag. I bought it instead of the Ruger Single Six. I sold it 30 yrs latter for what I payed for it($134.00) Bought a Ruger Single Six S.S with 22 mag cylinder .Never looked back

jhrosier
01-17-2010, 05:44 PM
You might find a Single-Six in that price range, if you are patient, but $300-$350 is more likely.
There hasn't been much available for decent quality, inexpensive .22 revolvers since H&R got out of the business. Even the old H&Rs fetch a hefty price now.
I've been shooting this one for twenty or so years and it was about fifteen years old when I got it.
http://images14.fotki.com/v255/photos/5/590147/2786028/SingleSix61_2-vi.jpg

I paid a hundred bucks for it back then and had to send it to Ruger for a .22LR cylinder. I just retired it in favor of a Single-Six Hunter:
http://ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixHunter/images/0662.jpg

I like the Hunter because I can drop a scope in it for precice shooting or take it off for plinking.
I was trying a bunch of different types of ammo for best accuracy recently and found that it seems to really like the Federal Champions.
http://images47.fotki.com/v1588/photos/5/590147/2786028/sshunterfedchamp-vi.jpg

It was quite a bit more than $200, BTW.

Jack

BCB
01-17-2010, 06:34 PM
I agree with the Ruger Single-Six...

I never owned a 22 except in rifles. I wasn't sure about a handgun, but I did purchase the Ruger...

It is amazingly accurate as the groups that were posted show. I have many as good. Might take a picture and post it also...

From a sandbag rest, I can hit 12 ounce beer cans at 100 feet most of the time...

Try to find one of them, and I don't think you will be dissatisfied...

Good-luck...BCB

Lloyd Smale
01-17-2010, 06:52 PM
like was said shop around the gun shops and the aution and classifieds and id about bet you will find a single six in that price range. No doubt a better choise.

BCB
01-17-2010, 06:59 PM
A couple of pics as promised...

Both groups were fired from my Single-Six using Federal Champion ammo...

The Black target is 50 shots at 15 yards (45 feet)...

The UL sticker target is 25 shots at 15 yards (45 feet)...

Both were fired one cylinder full after another. No resting or cleaning the barrel...

I am pleased with this single action 22 rimfire...

Unfortunately the 22 Magnum cylinder is not as accurate...

Good-luck...BCB

Archer
01-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Doug,
As to your question, Yes I have a Heritage 22-22mag with a 6 1/4"
barrel. It shoots pretty well, but the action is not as smooth as my
Colt Frontier 62 that I've had for forty some years. That being said,
It's not bad for what I paid for it. If you can find a used Ruger, single six
for what you want to spend, You will probably like it better. Taurus makes
a single action to, and if they shoot like my double action, they may be worth looking at.
Good Luck with whatever you get.

jh45gun
01-17-2010, 08:12 PM
Nice groups BCB Not all Single Sixes shoot that well.

MT Gianni
01-17-2010, 10:52 PM
The heritage I shot had alignment issues and spit lead. The owner said "yea it does that" but didn't understand why it didn't group. I'd keep looking or go with an auto.

dk17hmr
01-18-2010, 02:22 AM
Have a Ruger Target 5.5" its a good little semi auto handgun and quite accurate, dont have a revolver in 22lr yet though.

Besides Single Six's what else is a good revolver?
I guess it doesnt need to be single action or 22 magnum either.

Bullshop Junior
01-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Taurus makes nice guns......

lead-1
01-18-2010, 04:49 AM
My cousin bought his son a Rough Rider .22 and he asked me to look at it because it was lucky to fire two rounds out of six. I took it out and tried to fire it and sure enough only two of six fired. I removed the cylinder with the rounds still in it and the four that didn't fire had very little if any firing pin marks so I dumped the brass out and the four that didn't fire sat in egg shaped holes. You could actually wiggle the rounds in and out from the center to the edge of the cylinder, the bullet exit end was perfectly round. I don't know what he ever did with that because he didn't have the .22 mag. cylinder and it was used so the dealer wouldn't take it back, were really smart allecks about it. I bought my son one and have no problems at all with it and it is reasonably accurate, he hits 2" bulls at 30 feet pretty consistantly.

Bret4207
01-18-2010, 09:08 AM
The heritage guns have a fair reputation locally. Rugged, accurate enough, they seem to work.

Echo
01-18-2010, 11:45 AM
You might consider the Smith Kit gun, a small frame .22 with adjustable sights. Handy for dropping in a pocket for hiking, or whatever.

Or. Consider an old autoloader. It's fair to say that an autoloader will be more accurate than a wheel gun, at least in .22 caliber. My choice for a .22 hiking gun would be a Ruger, any model.

atr
01-18-2010, 12:00 PM
you may be pushed to find something in your price range,,,,even 22 handguns are getting expensive
I have a Colt New Frontier 22 with 22Mag interchangeable cylinder...it also has adjustable sights,,,,a very solid handgun and very accurate....I bought mine for $100 many years ago....I recommend it highly
atr

Bucks Owin
01-18-2010, 12:09 PM
This OM with mag cyl only cost me $200 about 5 yrs ago at GB. I swapped the mag cyl for a .22 LR and had one hole recut to WMR. http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/22WM001.jpghttp://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/Snake002.jpg

Bucks Owin
01-18-2010, 12:19 PM
BTW, that old Ruger garnered this for me the first time I shot it in rimfire "Field Pistol" silhouette. Had to shoot off against a 10" Contender too! http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/IMAGE063.jpg I kinda like that old "fivegun"! :bigsmyl2:

jameslovesjammie
01-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Besides Single Six's what else is a good revolver?
I guess it doesnt need to be single action or 22 magnum either.

The Smiths .22's that I have shot have all been excellent, but even used ones are way out of the $200 price range.

For a new gun very close to your price range, I would look at the Earl. Comes with .22lr and .22 mag cylinders. I don't know what it is about the gun, but it really appeals to me. And fun factor is HUGE with .22's.

http://www.northamericanarms.com/EARL.html

Mk42gunner
01-18-2010, 02:47 PM
I doubt that you are going to find a Colt, Ruger, or S&W in your price range; but you might be able to find an old H&R of Iver Johnson. They were not the niceest, but some of them shot pretty good.

Robert

jh45gun
01-18-2010, 02:56 PM
You should be able to find a Smith 22A used for 250

Rodfac
01-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Save your shekels and buy a Ruger Single Six. Mine is a '72 or 73 Old Model and still shoots better than I can hold. We lost the .22 Mag cylinder along the way somehow and recently I got one on GB for $57. I fitted it myself...it only needed a little off the front of the cylinder...and it too shoots <2" gps at 25 yds. But for real versatility, Bucks Owen has the right idea....just bore out one of the .22 LR chambers...geez, I wish I'd thought of that.

They're great guns in most any shape you find them. The pic below shows the wear on it..and the holster is of the same vintage.

I've got a Colt Diamondback in 4" that can't hold a candle to the Ruger. A S&W 41 that's a little more accurate...1" at 25 yds with good ammo, and two 1911 top units...a Marvel and a Ceiner, both of which will do <2" on demand. But for day in day out, packing here on the farm...the Ruger is usually the one I strap on.

Regards, Rodfac

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/Rodfac/Handguns/HolsterdRuger22.jpg My version of the Tom Threepersons classic holster.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/Rodfac/Handguns/Single-Six.jpg The 2" width Masking Tape shows a 5 shot gp shot from 25 yds, sitting.

MT Gianni
01-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Smith 22A new advertised last week 199.99 at a local store.

Bullshop Junior
01-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Save your shekels and buy a Ruger Single Six. Mine is a '72 or 73 Old Model and still shoots better than I can hold. We lost the .22 Mag cylinder along the way somehow and recently I got one on GB for $57. I fitted it myself...it only needed a little off the front of the cylinder...and it too shoots <2" gps at 25 yds. But for real versatility, Bucks Owen has the right idea....just bore out one of the .22 LR chambers...geez, I wish I'd thought of that.

They're great guns in most any shape you find them. The pic below shows the wear on it..and the holster is of the same vintage.

I've got a Colt Diamondback in 4" that can't hold a candle to the Ruger. A S&W 41 that's a little more accurate...1" at 25 yds with good ammo, and two 1911 top units...a Marvel and a Ceiner, both of which will do <2" on demand. But for day in day out, packing here on the farm...the Ruger is usually the one I strap on.

Regards, Rodfac

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/Rodfac/Handguns/HolsterdRuger22.jpg My version of the Tom Threepersons classic holster.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii64/Rodfac/Handguns/Single-Six.jpg The 2" width Masking Tape shows a 5 shot gp shot from 25 yds, sitting.
I have the EXACT same gun, but mine is the 6.5" barrel. When I got it it was only 22 Mag, but my dad fit the 22 LR cylinder from his to it. (his is converted to center fire

With CCI blazer ammo, mine will keep them touching at 20 yards.......It shoots better then I can hold it. With 22 mags, it does really good with some kinds, and really bad with others. Mine likes the CCI MAXI-MAG 40gr FMJ, and the Federal 30gr Speer TNT. It will shoot both loads like it does the CCI blazers in the LR cylinder.

Mine was made in 1968, and then went through a flood, so is ugly, but way better then my old IJ Target sealed 8 for what I use it for.

KYCaster
01-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Since you're talking about something other than $200 single actions.....my S&W 617 will be the last gun to leave here.

Kinda hefty for a .22 but it shoots as well as anything I've ever had and has accounted for quite a few tree rats and ground hogs. With a Tasco red dot sight on it it'll put bulk pack Federal HP's in <1" at 25 yds.

Down side is the price. I doubt you'll find one under $450 and $500+ is more likely, but well worth it as far as I'm concerned.

Jerry

jh45gun
01-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Smith 22A new advertised last week 199.99 at a local store.

That's a good price they are an accurate gun and the nice thing is they have a built in scope rail which is why I bought mine. I got mine used with a scope on it for 250.

9.3X62AL
01-18-2010, 08:33 PM
I think a used Single-Six is your best bet, in terms of gun-quality received per dollar spent.

My two 22 revolvers are as different as can be. One is a Colt New Frontier with 4" barrel that will shoot ANY ammo at least decently--from trashy bulk-boxed stuff to Mini-Mags. It also DRIVES TACKS with its 22 Mag cylinder. The other is a S&W Model 617 x 6", and it is picky about what it eats. OF COURSE, none of that cheep WalMart bulk stuff--not a chance. Mini-Mags and Green Tag target loads, thank you very much. A real Cotillion Debutante, with the steak-and-lobster tastes to match. That little Colt and the Ruger 22/45 are the charmers.

dk17hmr
01-18-2010, 09:04 PM
Why only one cylinder reamed? Shot shells? I like the idea. What happens if you stick a 22lr in there?

Mk42gunner
01-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Doug,

The theory is that you have five chambers for .22 LR, and one for .22 WMR; in case you need more power. Personally, I think if you do this you had better be sure the gun is a keeper, or you will lose more on resale than you gain in adaptability.

If you fire a Long Rifle cartidge in a Magnum chamber, the case will swell and split.

Robert

DLCTEX
01-18-2010, 10:42 PM
I did some remodeling work for a local FFL holder and took a Heritage single action SS in 22-22mag. in partial payment. It seems well made, and is accurate. My cost was a good bit less than $200 worth of labor. I didn't like the sharp corners on the laminated grips, so sanded them to a more pleasing to me shape. I do not care for the plastic safety lever or the plastic loading gate, but for the price I'm not complaining. I felt it was good value for the money. I have put less than a thousand rounds through it in a few years, but it works great.
Edit: No one has offered a single six in trade for work yet, but I'm open to offers. Added: My teenager says he has put a couple thousand rounds through it that I wasn't aware of. So, pushing 3 thousand rounds and still looks and works like new.

kingstrider
01-18-2010, 10:50 PM
My friend bought one of the Heritage convertible models last year and I've shot it before. Its a cheap gun meant to fill a niche but is a little rough around the edges and leaves something to be desired.

If you can't swing a Single Six you might want to look at a Cimarron Plinkerton:
http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Specialty/Plinkerton.htm
Do a google and you'll come up with a few hits. I'm not a fan of any sort of safety on a revolver but at least this one looks a little less goofy than the one on the Heritage.

KYCaster
01-19-2010, 12:07 AM
I think a used Single-Six is your best bet, in terms of gun-quality received per dollar spent.

My two 22 revolvers are as different as can be. One is a Colt New Frontier with 4" barrel that will shoot ANY ammo at least decently--from trashy bulk-boxed stuff to Mini-Mags. It also DRIVES TACKS with its 22 Mag cylinder. The other is a S&W Model 617 x 6", and it is picky about what it eats. OF COURSE, none of that cheep WalMart bulk stuff--not a chance. Mini-Mags and Green Tag target loads, thank you very much. A real Cotillion Debutante, with the steak-and-lobster tastes to match. That little Colt and the Ruger 22/45 are the charmers.

Al, my 617 is just the opposite. It's perfectly happy to pass up the caviar and eat off the buffet. Favorite fare is Wally-World bulk pack Federal HP's, followed closely by Fed Gold Medal and Fed bulk pack solids. CCI Green Tag is a distant fourth, but still nothing to sneeze at, putting ten rounds in ~1.5".

Another load that shows some promise is Aguila Hyper...a 30 gr. HP. So far I can get it to put six or seven into one hole, but the remaining three or four open the group to 2 in+. I need to find a couple of different lots of that to see if it's consistantly inconsistant.

Wish I could find a girl friend that looks so good and is so easy to please.

Jerry

outdoorfan
01-19-2010, 12:09 AM
I sure like this one. No Mag cylinder. Very accurate with cheap bulk ammo. I took a grouse with it at 92 yards. To say it's "fun to shoot" would be an understatement.

Bucks Owin
01-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Why only one cylinder reamed? Shot shells? I like the idea. What happens if you stick a 22lr in there?Since the "untransfer barred" Old Model Ruger SA's need to be carried like an old Colt, "5 beans in the wheel" (the hammer down on an empty chamber), might as well have that empty hole in WMR. I didn't come up with the idea, I got it from Jim Taylor. His has a barrel made from a M-52 Winnie, mine shoots 1" @ 25 and doesn't need it. It's also handy to carry a WMR shotshell for the first round in snake country. By some fluke, my WMR chamber puts a 40 gr PMC load exactly an inch over the .22 LR group at 25 yds and is dead on at about 90 yds. I suppose the resale is less, but it'll never be for sale anyway, it'll be my son's one day. Actually, I'd pay MORE for one set up like mine but that's just me. Besides the WMR chamber mod, it wears the frame and grips from an old Flattop and has it's trigger reworked for a crisp 2.5# letoff. Definately a keeper!...FWIW, Dennis ;) http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/6sna001.jpg

9.3X62AL
01-19-2010, 10:47 AM
Jerry--

22s can be funny. I have a couple others with similar high-toned opinions, and others that play well with any old ammo. It all balances out. As long as SOMETHING shoots well in a gun, I can be happy with a given example.

Come to think on it......I have a BUNCH of 22 rimfires around here.

AKsoldier
01-19-2010, 11:07 AM
I agree with the others - you can't go wrong with the Ruger single-six. If you can't find one in your price range though, you might look for one of the Cimarron .22 models. I've seen them used for not much more than $200, and they are decent quality. I bought one for my wife in 22 mag, and it is a fine shooter, and beautiful to boot, with color-case hardened frame. I bought it from an elderly gentleman who could no longer get out to shoot. He had lost the 22 LR barrel for it and gave it to me for $250. I think they were called the plinkster back then, but Cimarron now calls them the "model P jr.".

By the way - I read an article on the 22 mag cartridge, and according to the article you are not going to see much velocity gain from 22 LR to 22 mag in a pistol barrel, since the 22 mag was designed as a rifle cartridge with slow-burning powder. I've read that a 22 mag from a 5" bbl will only produce about 1250 fps. I'll have to try my wife's on the chrony sometime and see what it does.

Bucks Owin
01-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Bullshop, Rodfac, bet you love your's too huh? ;) And we all have some battle scars, bluing worn, etc. Those are marks of distinction! :grin: AK, you're about dead on, velocity with the 40 gr PMC .22 WMR is 1310 in my 6.5"er, 1227 in a 4 5/8", just over 1,000 in a 3.5" High Standard WMR Derringer..... FWIW, Dennis (BTW, Keep your eyes peeled, $200-250 S6's are still out there, just be patient and willing to accept a less than pristine finish. It'll still shoot fine if not abused IMO!)

Rodfac
01-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Bucks Owin...yep it's a keeper...can't begin to count the kids, adults et al that I've introduced to hand gun shooting with that old Ruger. Technically, it's my wife's gun...gave it to her shortly after we were married and SHE CAN SHOOT THAT LITTLE BUGGER LIKE THERE'S NO TOMORROW. It's not particularly finicky about its ammunition either.

From 15 yds or so, we really like to plink walnuts off one of our trees here on the farm, set up on the horse fence, they're a challenge for the new shooters. But for real fun with about anyone who's got some experience and a little skill with the short gun, charcoal briquettes are the ultimate exploding target, and biodegradable for you environmental types as well! A bag full of the cheapies is a cpl of afternoon's delight!

Regards, Rodfac

scrapcan
01-19-2010, 03:18 PM
I can assure you that you want to stay away from taurus model 94 DA 22lr. Most days I want to chunk mine in the first deep water hole I find. And to make things worse Taurus USA is one of the worst for support and customer service. I started in April 2008 with a new inbox blued 4 inch 94 in 22lr. I need the trigger spring and main spring as both are broken in half and have been since they arrived to me new in box. They keep tellign me they are backordered. It even went as far as having it sent back by an authorized taurus seller. It came back saying all is in specification. springs still in two pieces. Trigger pull is 18 pounds in double action. No one makes aftermarket springs and the small frame centerfire springs will not work, at least not the best as that is where I am at right now. It seems that hte hammer does not have enough mass and the heavy spring must be used for reliability with all ammo.

I would go with anything except a taurus 22 rimfire.

dubber123
01-19-2010, 04:41 PM
I can assure you that you want to stay away from taurus model 94 DA 22lr. Most days I want to chunk mine in the first deep water hole I find. And to make things worse Taurus USA is one of the worst for support and customer service. I started in April 2008 with a new inbox blued 4 inch 94 in 22lr. I need the trigger spring and main spring as both are broken in half and have been since they arrived to me new in box. They keep tellign me they are backordered. It even went as far as having it sent back by an authorized taurus seller. It came back saying all is in specification. springs still in two pieces. Trigger pull is 18 pounds in double action. No one makes aftermarket springs and the small frame centerfire springs will not work, at least not the best as that is where I am at right now. It seems that hte hammer does not have enough mass and the heavy spring must be used for reliability with all ammo.

I would go with anything except a taurus 22 rimfire.

Aaah, 2 broken springs, and "still within specification". Yep, it's been back to Taurus all right. :roll: If they used all the money spent on printing up that "within spec" form letter, (yeah, I got the same letter), they could at least hire 1 competent repairman. He would be REALLY busy though. Talk about job security! :shock:

Bullshop Junior
01-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Bullshop, Rodfac, bet you love your's too huh? ;) And we all have some battle scars, bluing worn, etc. Those are marks of distinction! :grin: AK, you're about dead on, velocity with the 40 gr PMC .22 WMR is 1310 in my 6.5"er, 1227 in a 4 5/8", just over 1,000 in a 3.5" High Standard WMR Derringer..... FWIW, Dennis (BTW, Keep your eyes peeled, $200-250 S6's are still out there, just be patient and willing to accept a less than pristine finish. It'll still shoot fine if not abused IMO!)
Mine has battle scars that I put on it! I have only had it about a month, and it has replacement grips (The old ones cracked, and when I tried to take them off, the screw was rusted in and broke :( ), and it got knocked out of my holster once, and got a nice scatch on the concrete floor. After that I made a new holster, and the gun fits all the way down in, so only the back part on the trigger guard is out, and the rear sight blade. The old one had all the trigger guard out.

Poygan
01-19-2010, 05:05 PM
My cousin bought a new Taurus model 94 and would not consistently fire all six. Send it back to Taurus on his dime and after about six weeks it was sent back with a list of things they supposedly fixed but it still had the same problem. He sold it to someone with full disclosure as to the problem for $100.

OTOH, my S&W model 17 I bought in 1955 still works just fine. Buy quality.

jh45gun
01-19-2010, 06:23 PM
I agree with the others - you can't go wrong with the Ruger single-six. .

I will disagree about that I bought one in about 73 that was wonderful gun I wish I would have never got rid of it but I sold it to buy a 357 which I needed at the time. Only one gun shop in the area and he did not have any so I settled for a Smith Model Ten 38 Special. Years later I decided to buy an other Single Six and bought a like new used Stainless Steel Model complete with the box and papers ect. Now I know why it was used you could not keep a group on paper it looked more like a shotgun buckshot pattern. I traded it off too since I had bought it in early winter and did not shoot it until spring so I had it too long to take it back for a refund. I was sorely disappointed in this gun. One of several Rugers that were not the best in my owning Rugers. Which is why I take some of of a dim view on them now.

exile
01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
My favorite .22 is a Ruger Mark II, blued, 6 7/8"s bull barrel. I have had 3 of them and now that they have gone to a Mark III, I wish I had the other two back. I also have a single-six, which I think is the best gun out there for new shooters, but I have never been as accurate with it as with the Mark II. I have seen the ruger 22/45's for as low as $ 180.00 new, if I was looking for a 200.00 .22 pistol that would definately be my choice. A good .22 revolver is just not easy to find or afford, especially double action. I wish someone would come out with a copy of a Smith 17 or 18 at a decent price, but I doubt they ever will. If they did it probably would not be worth much.

exile

Bucks Owin
01-19-2010, 07:04 PM
Years later I decided to buy an other Single Six and bought a like new used Stainless Steel Model complete with the box and papers ect. Now I know why it was used you could not keep a group on paper it looked more like a shotgun buckshot pattern. I traded it off too since I had bought it in early winter and did not shoot it until spring so I had it too long to take it back for a refund. I was sorely disappointed in this gun. One of several Rugers that were not the best in my owning Rugers. Which is why I take some of of a dim view on them now. Ruger's customer service is among the best you'll find and never expires. You should have let them make your gun right or sent you another one. They can't fix what they don't know about.....IMO, Dennis

dubber123
01-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Ruger's customer service is among the best you'll find and never expires. You should have let them make your gun right or sent you another one. They can't fix what they don't know about.....IMO, Dennis

Their customer service isn't flawless, I know that for sure. Better than one of the other brands mentioned in this thread? Oh, yes. But they still can screw them up at the repair center. Maybe it was Trainee day when I sent that one in... :wink:

jack19512
01-20-2010, 12:38 AM
That Heritage Rough Rider seems to fit the bill but I would like and adjustable sight, which they do have but cost a bit more. Anyone have one of those little revolvers?

I know you posted you wanted adjustable sights but I have a RR with the fixed sights and it shoots fine for me. I did have to bend the front sight very slightly as it was shooting to the left a little. I do have a Ruger Single Six also but wanted a .22 revolver to do most of my utility work so to speak and the RR does this just fine.

jh45gun
01-20-2010, 10:51 AM
I have read enough threads here about folks complaining about Ruger's Customer service that I am glad I did not send it back and traded it off. Furthermore I wonder anyone know about sending back a used gun since you did not buy it new? Some companies will not honor that if you did not buy it new.

3006guns
01-20-2010, 11:41 AM
Many years ago (early 70's) I purchased a "Bulldog" target revolver, either by H&R or Iver Johnson.....I don't remember which. The cost was a staggering $39.00 or so, and it showed. Right out of the box it failed to index AND actually "skipped" a chamber occasionally. A real mass produced piece of junk, which was astonishing from an American maker. I left it with my ex-wife when I moved on. She deserved it.

Frankly, a good Ruger or S&W would be an excellent choice. Also, the H&R "999" top breaks were very nice little guns. Most of the old Hi Standard autos are now collectors items, but were well made.

NHlever
01-20-2010, 12:06 PM
I have read enough threads here about folks complaining about Ruger's Customer service that I am glad I did not send it back and traded it off. Furthermore I wonder anyone know about sending back a used gun since you did not buy it new? Some companies will not honor that if you did not buy it new.

Ruger repairs their guns no matter which owner you might be. Having said that, your solution to the problem is pretty common, and it's one reason I tend to shy away from "as new" guns in the box at regular gun shops. Pawn shops are probably safer since more often than not the previous owner just needed a few bucks. Unfortunately, some companies judge how serious a problem might be by the number of customer service returns they get.... My guess would be that fewer than one in 5 folks that have a problem with a new gun will have the faith, or patience to return it. That is sad because now the same gun can make many folks unhappy, and sour on that company's products.

jh45gun
01-20-2010, 12:16 PM
Well I learned my lesson with that gun I even questioned it when I bought it and they told me the guy who bought it buys guns all the time and then returns them for something else. I think I was getting conned on that story. Yea maybe sending it in would have been the answer but I was so disgusted with that gun and an other Ruger at the time a 44 blackhawk that I bought used in the same time period over the winter that I would have had to send both of them in and I was pretty disgusted at Ruger by then. As I have stated before you get a good Ruger it is a keeper something I now know having both good and bad ones. Problem is now I am too gun shy pun intended to buy another twice bit was enough for me.

Bucks Owin
01-20-2010, 12:53 PM
Thinkin I would like to get a 22lr/22mag single action, for plinkin and rabbit hunting. Something with a 6.5" barrel or longer.....about $200 worth of revolver.
I noticed this morning that a guy at the Ruger forum got a nice used 6.5" SS6 for $249. They ARE out there, just keep looking ;-) Dennis