PDA

View Full Version : Making it work.

motorcycle_dan
06-02-2006, 10:41 AM
Another happy casting session last night. Had a Lyman single cavity .44 cal hollow point mold that I was ready to drop in the trash can. I bought a bunch of casting equipment from a gentleman getting out of casting. This was part of the package. Previously I could get a 1 good bullet in about 25 attempts. I cleaned and changed temps and couldn't get it right. An "old timer" that hangs out at the local gun shop took time to educate me on break'n in a mold. Between cleaning it with a brass brush in my parts washer. Blow it dry with air. Spray it with carb cleaner then let it air dry. THEN, Get out my propane torch, Pre-warm the mold to hotter than it will be during casting. During previous casting attempts the bullets would be frosty on the sprue plate end then wrinkled on the nose. Old timer sed, "well ya got to take a wet towel to it." As soon as the sprue is solidified enough to turn it over without running do so and sit it on the wet towel for a second or so.

Using this method I was able to cast up about 50 nice bullets in short order. The few that did not cast correct was my fault. Overall very happy with the results.

My order from midway came in and I was able to repair another lyman .44 mold. So looks like I'll need some range time this weekend to test these.:Fire:

Beau Cassidy
06-02-2006, 10:49 AM
I used the Devastator HP in front of 18.0 Gr. of 2400 to drop a deer at 28 yards 2 seasons ago. DRT. Massive internal damage. It was one of my all-time most memorable harvests. Did it a few weeks later with a cast bullet in a .450 Marlin. There is nothing like taking game with one of your own cast bullets.

Beau

D.Mack
06-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Dan That wrinkled on the nose, could be from your nose plug being cooler than your mould. Try heating it, either by dipping it in your melt when it is not in the mould, or a small flame from a torch. I use a wire rack I made to hang it in the melt, this requires adding small amounts of lead more often to keep the lead level high enough, but works for me. My neighbor, uses a propane torch with a tiny flame, just enough to keep it lit. DM