PDA

View Full Version : Lot number syetem for alloy?

SciFiJim
01-17-2010, 04:25 AM
As I was smelting some WWs today, a thought occurred to me. Since we don't know the precise contents of WWs, each pot is a different alloy.

In the mold group buys we use a modified version of the Lyman numbering system that uses the first three numbers to show the as cast size and the last three numbers to show the weight. A comprehensive, readily readable lot numbering system for alloy would be very nice. That way the ingots from each pot could be identified as a specific lot.

Does anyone have a similar workable system for numbering alloy lots. Maybe with date alloyed, source (clip on, stick on, linotype, etc) and individual number for smelting multiple pots in one day? In order for it to be workable, it would have to be pretty simple.

acoilfld
01-17-2010, 04:50 AM
When I melt a pot, I mark the ingots from that batch with a center punch. 1 dot for a batch, 2 for another, 3... etc. I dont record any information, but this helps the bullet weights and characteristics consistant. Each batch I make is from 40 to 60 pounds.

lwknight
01-17-2010, 05:12 AM
Thats a good question Mr. Jim.
I mark mine by Lead/tin/antimony with number stamps. Sometimes its a best guess with unknowns.
My little system is:
WW= clip-on WWS
CCB= commercial cast bullets
HB= "Hardball" 92-2-6
99= pure lead and stick-on WWs
98=pretty muchly pure lead.
LT=Lino
And other known alloys I just use the L-T-A percentages. Like 95-2-3 or whatever.

I have seen it written several different ways and wonder if there is a standard order for Pb/Sn/Sb? I have seen it as Sn-Sb-Pb too

BruceB
01-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Keeping it simple, I just use .50-caliber cans for ingot storage. The ingots are about 3 pounds, are triangular in section, and the angle-iron mould is made so that the ingots fit neatly in the cans (10.5 inches long, as I recall).

Since each can holds about 100 pounds, and I fill several in a rendering session, I consider each can to contain a "lot". I use a felt marker on each ingot to identify the type..."W" for WW, "PL" for pure lead, etc.

Works well for me.

zomby woof
01-17-2010, 10:45 AM
I keep each batch of smelted lead in separate 5 gal pails labeled WW, misc soft, mono, range, lino etc....

I go through the same batch of WW until that batch is used up. I label the melting pot which alloy is in the pot. If I need to empty the pot to get another mixture in, I pour out the pot into ingots and put them in a coffee can labeled.

Typecaster
01-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Like BruceB, I keep each lot in .50-cal ammo cans. They're easy to store—and move—and make great ballast in the truck or to stabilize a bench.

And lwknight, the usual convention is to list the most expensive component first. Hence 63/47 solder is 63% tin; 47% lead.

Best,

Richard

fredj338
01-17-2010, 12:29 PM
I doubt the diff between melts of clip-on ww has enough variation to matter for bullet casting. I don't shoot lead bullets for precision rifle, so I could be wrong, but the only way to really know what your alloy is is to have it tested. So any extrodinary record keeping of pickup metals like ww seems a bit much.

higgins
01-17-2010, 12:30 PM
With a center punch I scratch an abbreviation identifying the alloy (wheel weight, jacketed bullet core, plated bullet, cast bullet, lead) and the date smelted. I haven't encountered a situation yet where any information other than the alloy mattered, but I'm a compulsive detail sort.

HeavyMetal
01-17-2010, 12:51 PM
I bought a metal stamping set years ago, clip on wheel weights get stamped WW, stick on get stamped PB ( pure lead).

Type metal I will leave in the orginal form until ready to use because then I have no problem proving what it is to even the freshest newbie on the block!

Once an alloy is "compounded" I will stamp it with a lot number/ content.

For example if I was to make a run of 92-5-3 alloy today I would stamp it: 011710-93-5-3 this would give me month, day and year it was alloyed and it's content.

Sounds like more work than it is, I made a stamp clamp that holds five or 6 stamps at a time and one whack gets this done once it's set up. Haven't used it in years as these days I just make up alloy in a pot for my needs of the day and leave the raw ingreidents stored until I want them as ingots or type.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

SciFiJim
01-17-2010, 01:00 PM
but I'm a compulsive detail sort.
Right now I currently use a felt tip marker and mark clip on with a "C", stick on with a "S", linotype with a "L", and solder with a "T". I weigh and mark each ingot and track my different alloys in a spreadsheet. I can tell you to the 1/10oz how much alloy I have on hand that has not been cast into boolits. I haven't started tracking the weight of the boolits yet. I am not quite that OCD, yet.[smilie=1:

I was hoping someone might have a better way of indicating on the alloy itself, what the alloy is.

SciFiJim
01-17-2010, 01:07 PM
I was typing at the same time as HeavyMetal. That is the system that I will probably end up using. Like Fred said,"not enough variation in similar types of source to worry about". Sometimes I need to tell the my compulsive side to shut the h*** up and leave things alone.

Doc Highwall
01-17-2010, 01:31 PM
When I make up a batch of alloy I use a 11qt dutch oven that holds approximately 250lbs. then make some more batches and mix some alloy from all the batches together. Sometimes I wish I had a pot that could hold 1000 lbs. to make it easier.

Fugowii
01-17-2010, 05:48 PM
I stamp with a metal stamp. In order to keep it simple with one stamp per ingot I do the following:

W = Wheel Weights
S = Sticky Wheel Weights
P = Lead
R = Range Scrap
L = Linotype
E = Pewter
T = Tin
O = Other/Unknown (until known)

John Boy
01-17-2010, 08:32 PM
My inventory is just under 1000 lbs of various alloys ... scrounged WW's and from the recyclers - sheet lead and cable sheathing. Each ingot gets marked with the date the ingots were made with a magic marker. Then I take 1 ingot from the batch and progressively test the hardness. At the end of 2 weeks, the hardness is recorded on each ingot of the batch
So each ingot has:
* Date
* Bhn number
And total batch weight is recorded on a spreadsheet

sqlbullet
01-20-2010, 10:56 AM
I box my ingots in 40lb boxes. Mark them with the expected content based on some recent analysis, and then once they have aged about a month, I test the BHN of a few samples.

My lead source is isotope lead and not WW. Since the FDA requires certification of the container as well as the medicine, the content of the lead shields cannot change by law. I am therefore pretty confident my alloy is static as long as the containers I am getting look the same.

Cactus Farmer
01-20-2010, 11:10 AM
My lead source is isotope lead and not WW. Since the FDA requires certification of the container as well as the medicine, the content of the lead shields cannot change by law. I am therefore pretty confident my alloy is static as long as the containers I am getting look the same.

Now that's handy info....since I have a ton or two of hospital lead.......:holysheep