PDA

View Full Version : Cure for an old RCBS A Press

Ozark Howler
01-16-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm currently in the process of rebuilding one of my "A" series presses, the early "A" models have cast steel (softer) links which tend to wear (after a couple of million cycles) because of the hardend steel link pins used in the 1/2"upper and 5/8" lower toggle castings.

To solve this (loose link) issue I reversed the links and rebored the bottom to accept a new pressed in 1/2"ID X 3/4"OD bronze bushing (which is now the top) and rebored the worn 1/2" end to a machined finished 5/8"hole. Its amaizing that the main operating ram still remains very close to its original tolerance, most likely because of the vertical travel having little bearing surface wear (unlike the link arms).

The next step is to bead blast the frame and powder coat with a nice industrial quality finish and polished the other parts as needed.

She'll be good for another couple of million cycles, and/or another 50 some odd years.

Lead Fred
01-16-2010, 11:13 PM
My 1952 Lyman and 1965 RCBS both still work like the day they were bought.

I remember when cars and women would last that long

Dont forget to post the after pics

Firebricker
01-17-2010, 12:54 AM
cool project would like to see pics when you get finished. FB

acoilfld
01-17-2010, 04:22 AM
I remember when cars and women would last that long

Wish that I was brave enough to show that quote to my wife :)

No_1
01-17-2010, 07:18 AM
Nice project. Please post post pictures when you are finished.

R.

Pressman
01-17-2010, 06:03 PM
It will be interesting to see one "dressed up". That od green paint is nothing but ugly.
Those presses were hand fitted and assembled. It was not untill the RC came out that they were able to assembly line produce them.
Ken

1hole
01-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Those link arms are quite large at each end. I've wondered about boring them out to contain sealed 1/2" ID ball bearings in them. They should last forever with NO wear then. ??

3006guns
01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Not really.....think about it. A ball bearing runs in an annular race and all the force is on that race, on one little tiny bearing point of each ball. Great for high speed axial use like a motor, but for slow speed heavy loads a plain tough bronze bearing is more than adequate. A roller or needle bearing would be better, but still overkill. The bronze bushing will last almost forever and can be replaced when worn.

That's a very nice repair/upgrade to a great old press!

220swiftfn
01-18-2010, 04:18 AM
Hmmm... a cure for an old ratty worn a2? Easy, send it to me.... I'll "dispose" of it properly.... :) Good plan to get the old girl up and running, they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Dan

1hole
01-18-2010, 02:50 PM
"...on one little tiny bearing point of each ball."

True, but those balls and the races are quite hard. And a needle bearing would indeed be better. But the bronze will sure work.

Ozark Howler
01-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Just about finished rebuilding the 2A today, I have a few small things to finalize (new grip and refinish the priming assembly), but it's starting to look like new again. After final assembly there is practically no play at all in the linkage, looks like the bronze bushings are the way to go.

A before and after.......well, one down, three more to go

Pressman
01-25-2010, 10:43 PM
That is nice looking. RCBS should have made them look that good!!!
Ken

Firebricker
01-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Ozark, That's some fine work you've done there restoring that press ! FB

beanflip
01-26-2010, 01:02 AM
Nice work..... that bench top looks good too!!!