PDA

View Full Version : Source for Russ Markings Info?

Kraschenbirn
01-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Picked up a really nice 91/30 on a consignment auction a couple weeks ago. Rifle is a 1939 Tula that has NOT been rearsenaled...all matching #s (including stock), 80%+ original finish on metal, bore shiny, sharp, and slugs at .3115. The unusually good condition of the piece has really piqued my curiosity...like "how did a 1939-vintage M-N make it through the entire war to end up looking like it had just been pulled from an armory rack?"

The only unusual marking is a "U K" carved into the left side of the stock about halfway between the stamped serial number and the sling escutcheon. I've already run a Google search and browsed all the M-N sites that turned up but, so far, have come up dry.

Anyone know of any other possible sources for info?

Bill

milsurp mike
01-16-2010, 10:55 PM
I need to see pics but my money is on the fact that its a reburb some time in it life.The Russians used to Refurb these rifles as make work projects .Unless someone brought it back with them after the war.Mike

RayinNH
01-16-2010, 11:35 PM
http://7.62x54r.net/

Kraschenbirn
01-17-2010, 02:23 PM
http://7.62x54r.net/

Ray...

Thanks a bunch. Somehow I'd missed this one and did find quite a bit of help there. This is my first M-N and I didn't realize that the boxed "SA" stamp on the left side of the receiver stood for "Finnish Army" so it looks like it may have actually been a "Winter War" capture.

According to what I've been able to determine, the Finns recycled most of their "captures" by simply cleaning them, gaging the chambers/bores and evaluating overall condition. Weapons graded as "good" or better were test-fired, stamped "SA," and sent to an ordanance depot for reissue. Weapons that didn't make the grade were either completely rearsenaled or broken down for spare parts.

This Tula M-N carries the "SA" stamp but all factory numbers appear to be original...no strike-overs or restamps...and all unnumbered small parts (barrel bands, bolt head, cocking piece, front sight, etc.) carry correct Tula mfg. marks. Also, the "V K" carved in the stock...I originally interpreted it as "U K"...seems to be fairly common on rifles (re)issued to Finnish Army troops but, so far, I've been unable to determine what it might stand for.

Being a "capture" could also account for the exceptional overall condition. The "Winter War" only lasted 3 1/2 months...end of Nov. '39 to mid-Mar. '40...so it may not have been in the field very long before being snagged by the Finns. After that, it could've easily spent the next 5 or 6 years hung over the shoulder of a border guard or sitting in a barracks rifle rack before being placed in "reserve" storage at the end of WWII.

Bill

milsurp mike
01-17-2010, 02:29 PM
For the Best Mosin Nagant website forums in the World got to [url]www.gunboards.com. If it is SA marked is was refurbed by the Finnish.Mike

skeet1
01-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Try this http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm

Skeet1

Shepherd2
01-17-2010, 07:30 PM
I don't know that much about Finnish capture rifles. My Finns are M39s. I wonder if the Finns stamped the captured rifles to tell where they were tested and/or refurbished. The only VK I could find in "The Mosin-Nagant Rifle" by Terence W. Lapin is VKT which is the Valtion Kivaaritehdas, state rifle factory at Jyvaskyla. Could be a misstampted VKT.

Just a guess. Also you said "carved" in the stock. Is it an actually carved or is it stamped?

mto7464
01-17-2010, 11:16 PM
For the Best Mosin Nagant website forums in the World got to [url]www.gunboards.com. If it is SA marked is was refurbed by the Finnish.Mike

The finns didn't refurb them all and not likely at all until after the war (why refurb a good rifle during a war). Mostly they just re did the chamber for there ammo so it will have a "D" stamped above the chamber. I have an all matching and original finish 37 tula that is finn marked.

milsurp mike
01-19-2010, 01:12 AM
I got a dozen or so Finned 91-30's that are not refurbed and they look like it.I also have some that look almost new and without a doubt they are refurbs.I also got some 91-30 Tikkas that are brandnew rearsenaled with Tikka barrels and new wood on older receivers.Refurbs were not done during the war.Thay were done after the war.The Finn's bought tons of these from the Russians also.The Finnish didnt Build any of there own Rifles as the Used Russian Receivers to Make m39 =28-28-30's m27 and m27 RV just to name a few.Most Finned 91-30's are a mixed of Tula and Izzy parts as well as a few NEW and Remington parts.Again go to Gunboards.com there is more info on the forums by people how are actually Finnish and live in finnland who are members as well as some other from here and around the World that are very well versed on Mosin Nagants.There are a great bunch of guy's over there.Mike