PDA

View Full Version : Did I do good on a Marlin 1895SS- 45/70?

Charlie Sometimes
01-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Went to a gun show today, and managed to walk away with more money than I went in with (NEVER happens to me), and a used Marlin 1895SS 45/70 with see-thru Kwik-Site mounts and a Simmons 3x-9x-40mm WA scope on it. Here's the best part, now get this- for final total of $280!!!!!! :eek:
Traded a Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt, 4 5/8 inch barrel for it, and he gave me $50 difference. :mrgreen:

Okay, the catch is that the outside of the gun has some rust on the barrel where someone left it inside a gun case after hunting, put it away, and didn't wipe it down (pure unadulterated laziness and carelessness). :o :(
That will need work- might be rusted enough to lightly pit. I won't know until I get that removed.
It's good candidate for a total refinish job by bead blasting and a rebluing of the entire rifle.
The bore seems to be just fine. It has micro-groove rifling, though.
I will clean it up tomorrow and give it a better review, and make a chamber cast, too.

What do you think? Did I do good? :bigsmyl2:
Any suggestions- I have shot a few, but never owned a 45-70.
I can't say THAT anymore!

HeavyMetal
01-16-2010, 11:37 PM
You won't know until you shoot it!

I will advise you to take those see though mounts off and chuck'em! The see through set up's always make you hold your head up off the stock to use the scope and if you put any fairly stout load through the gun... well you'll only do it once!

Sounds like you got a deal if the gun checks out, keep us posted.

Bullshop Junior
01-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Out side rust don't hurt nothing....
You should see my ruger single six, and my old marlin 336.........

Charlie Sometimes
01-16-2010, 11:46 PM
Yea, I don't like the see-thru's either.
Taking them off is a given.
I will be finding a replacement one piece base for it next.
Now if I can just find some ammo to shoot it- couldn't find any at the show!

Bullshop Junior
01-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Yea, I don't like the see-thru's either.
Taking them off is a given.
I will be finding a replacement one piece base for it next.
Now if I can just find some ammo to shoot it- couldn't find any at the show!
I don't like a scope on a lever action.
Get a good peep sight.

Charlie Sometimes
01-17-2010, 12:00 AM
I can't see through peeps anymore- eyes are getting old too soon!
Good open sights or a scope (best) are a must.

It needs a good 1 1/4 inch military sling, too.

Bullshop Junior
01-17-2010, 12:05 AM
wait a minute.....
How can it rust if it is SS???????

DLCTEX
01-17-2010, 12:26 AM
wait a minute.....
How can it rust if it is SS???????
My thought also, but rebluing was also mentioned, so it can't be stainless.

RobS
01-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Good question on the rust.......if it is stainless steel I've only seen iron particles that settle on the stainless steel and give off a rusting appearance on the outside of a stainless steel barrel, the stainless steel is not rusted however. Simply use a rust penetrating oil like wd-40 and #0000 steel wool and it should clean it right up.

Caveape
01-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Hey Charlie!

Wanna double your money on that rusty project piece?:kidding:

Caveape

Three44s
01-17-2010, 01:48 AM
I can see through an appropriate sized appeture way better than I can use buckhorns.

And if the front bead was giving me trouble, I'd go with a front globe sight and use the appeture front insert.

I'm with Junior Bullshop ..... levers and scopes are oxymorons.

My 99 Savage in .243 the exception ......... LOL!

Three 44s

runfiverun
01-17-2010, 02:19 AM
and stainless will rust, it just takes more to get it to do so.
it's stainless not stain/rust proof.

Bullshop Junior
01-17-2010, 03:23 AM
But I have never seen one rust to the point of pitting.

phaessler
01-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Stainless will rust, depending on the ferric (iron)content, 304 stainless vs 404 stainless.
Not sure of the pitting, it takes alot to get that to happen, but if it shoots well and its what you want, sounds like a good find to me.
Pete

Charlie Sometimes
01-17-2010, 09:52 AM
It's not stainless- totally blued steel.
The model number is 1895SS- SS stands for Sporting Safety in the model designation.
So it will rust!
This one has the crossbolt safety to block the hammer from completely falling, along with the standard half cock/full cock notches. It has a 22 inch barrel, and the pistol grip stock.

Checked serial number and it appears that this rifle was made in 1987.

I'll try some pictures later to give you some idea of the rust- I don't think it is as bad as it looks, but I might be wrong. :confused:

I can see the open sights on this one well enough, so that is the way I will shoot it first. :grin:

As to my eye troubles- 8 years ago I had cataracts in both eyes, left then right 1 year apart, that had to be removed. That means that I have the artifical lenses now. Secondly, I had detacted retina 2 years ago in my left eye (twice 8 months apart). Operations there have left that eye's vision more useable at distance but with some distortion closer in. :|

Round and level is harder to see now, and between the two eyes there is far and near sightedness, and 20/30 (left) and 20/20 (right) corrected vision- best I can get, but it's not what you would think (numbers don't tell the whole story). Add annoying floaters in the right eye that blur vision in that eye periodically, and you can "see" my issues. :|

I shoot left-handed, so my left eye is dominant. With handguns, I can use either eye (practice, practice), and either hand- right not as well as left. High gloss stainless steel handguns cause too much reflection to see the fixed sight to properly use them safely, so everything I have now uses dark adjustable sights, or scopes. :|

This is one of the last reasons that I stopped shooting CAS- safety and vision issues. :|

Charlie Sometimes
01-17-2010, 09:57 AM
I am going to apply some PB or Kroil to the rust, along with some 4/0 steel wool, and see what happens during cleaning.
Worst case scenerio- blue and rust remover and a wire wheel!
I don't think it will come to that, though.

Freightman
01-17-2010, 10:31 AM
I have shot a few, but never owned a 45-70.
I can't say THAT anymore!
Well the sickness begins 45/70's are habit forming.

jlchucker
01-17-2010, 12:45 PM
If it shoots good for you and you like it, you've done good. I agree with those who say a scope isn't necessary, though. And see-thru mounts?? Not on any of MY leverguns--but you can do what you want. Buying a lever-action 45-70 in and of itself, to me, is doing good.

jh45gun
01-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Try a peep with no aperture and a Fiber optic front sight. If you can use a open sight you can use that, as if you use it right you ignore the rear sight and just concentrate on the front sight. Your eyes will automatically line it up.

RobS
01-17-2010, 02:24 PM

This is true, but like I said I've never seen one rust up past the surface type rust which is what I stated earlier as the iron particles (in the air itself) that have settled on the outside of the stainless steel. This is what makes it look like there is rust in many cases. As it turns out though Charlie Sometimes doesn't have a stainless steel rifle, but he will definately have a great time with his new 45/70.

Charlie, good trade, and I hope it shoots well for you as the 45/70 is a fun and classic round to shoot.

Gee_Wizz01
01-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I can see through an appropriate sized appeture way better than I can use buckhorns.

And if the front bead was giving me trouble, I'd go with a front globe sight and use the appeture front insert.

I'm with Junior Bullshop ..... levers and scopes are oxymorons.

My 99 Savage in .243 the exception ......... LOL!

Three 44s

Thats what I said 30 years ago, but time has changed things! Now with very poor eyesight, scopes on my Marlins and Savage are greatly appreciated. I have a choice of quit shooting or using optics, it may not look cool or authentic, but I can shoot.

G

jh45gun
01-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Well at almost 58 my eyes are not the youngest anymore and I need my glasses to see that is for sure but I can use the peep sight with the fiber optic front sight just fine. With that fiber optic it is much easier to use then a standard non fiber optic front sight.

Charlie Sometimes
01-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Try a peep with no aperture and a Fiber optic front sight. If you can use a open sight you can use that, as if you use it right you ignore the rear sight and just concentrate on the front sight. Your eyes will automatically line it up.

Sounds like a ghost ring set up, along the lines of the Jeff Cooper Scout rifle style. Might be a good idea for my eyes. I'd be willing to bet the fiber optic front sight would be sufficient with the rear sight that is on the rifle (for me). The black front sight on a black target is another issue that would be resolved with the fiber optic front sight, too. :smile:
I'm going to watch for one, and go from there- Thanks! :bigsmyl2:

Charlie Sometimes
01-17-2010, 11:43 PM
Here is what the rust looked like before I cleaned it up.
I haven't taken the after pictures yet- but suffice to say that it ain't as bad as these make it look.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS1.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS2.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS3.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS4.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS5.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS6.jpg

RobS
01-18-2010, 01:55 AM
yep, that is a darn shame as it would have taken only a few minutes to oil it down prior to storage. I would be interested in seeing how well it faired after working on it though.

MtGun44
01-18-2010, 02:44 AM
Pretty nasty looking, but won't hurt the running of it.

I believe that I'd sand that whole barrel down with 220 grit until the pits were gone, then
take it out to about 400 or 600 grit and then cold blue it. May be worth having a
beadblast and reblue done professionally, too.

Bill

AKsoldier
01-18-2010, 06:34 AM
In spite of the rust, I think you got a very good deal on it. The fact that it was left to rust suggests that it also probably wasn't used much. Get it cleaned up and you'll have a fine rifle. That Marlin action can handle the stout loads too, if you ever want to use it to hunt some big critters. Congrats on a steal!

Charlie Sometimes
01-18-2010, 11:44 AM
The fact that it was left to rust suggests that it also probably wasn't used much.

That's what I thought- a deer season only thing.
Made in 1987- and not seen the light of day much since.
The bore looks really good.
I'll post the AFTER rust removal pictures in a little bit.
I removed the high rise mounts- they were on there good.
Someone knew what they were doing there.
I think I'll put a one piece picatinny-style base on it, and leave it at that for a while.

It don't look so bad now- sort of a faded blue job, with very light pitting.
The top and under belly of the action, where they were already matte finished took the worst of it because of that.
It wouldn't take much to remove all of the pitting- but the bead blast and reblue of the whole rifle would be grand! Maybe even a black parkerize or a black satin chrome..... oh, c**p, now I'm getting carried away! :groner:

jh45gun
01-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Check the Williams site for them fiber optic front sights.

Charlie Sometimes
01-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Here are the after pictures- the flash makes the light pitting stand out more.
Really, it doesn't look as bad as this appears, I think.
I'm going to run the barrel on the wire brush later and see what happens.
I included a picture without flash in each of the before & after groups to show how different it can look.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS7.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS8.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS9.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS10.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS11.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS12.jpg

Charlie Sometimes
01-18-2010, 11:50 PM
Put the barrel to a medium wire wheel today, and worked it over a little more- not much difference.
It will need buffed down to totally remove the small pits), and then bead blasted, and reblued.

I degreased it and put some cold blue on the top of the receiver and the barrel for a test. That made a lot of difference on the receiver, but not so much on the barrel.

Working on a little brass, dies, and a mold right now.
Will get to shoot it soon enough! :grin:

RobS
01-19-2010, 12:51 AM
On your way Charlie.........I don't even own the gun and I'm excited for you!!!

AKsoldier
01-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Even if you put some dollars into it, you're still getting a deal in my opinion. I know the stainless ones hold up to weather better, but personally I like the look of the walnut/blued combo better. My 1895M is walnut/blued. I'll just make sure I keep it oiled properly and I'm sure it will be a "looker" for years to come.

PatMarlin
01-19-2010, 01:16 AM
You stole that rifle- better take it back ..:mrgreen:

Blue Wonder and 4/0 steel wool works well. Ballistol does a pretty good job of desolving rust as well.

Charlie Sometimes
01-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Ballistol dissolve rust? Never heard that one.
I've got some though- use it on my muzzleloaders for cleaning sometimes, thinned with WATER.
It's a parrafin-based oil, IIRC.
I've got 44/40 and Oxpho-Blue cold blue products.
The rust is a little deeper than what 4/0 will handle.

I would really like to have one with a straight stock and lever, instead of the pistol gripped version- I like THAT style best!

PatMarlin
01-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Reason I say it dissolves rust is I've been running it as a flood lube coolant in the coolant system on my lathes and every nook and cranny that has had rust, like screw threads, etc., the rust is breaking down and dissolving. Interesting ha?

If you use it with steel wool it will break down the rust obviously, but I'm wondering what a long time coating would do?

PatMarlin
01-19-2010, 10:47 AM
On your rifle, I would be tempted to take that steel down to remove the pitting, and resurface the metal to a smooth finish again.

I don't understand why some folks neglect their firearms like they do. I tried to tell an old friend of mine about bringing in his hunting rifle from the cold, and lubeing it. Shore nuff he rusted it like this one.

I don't know how many times I've sat down and cleaned and lubed guns for friends and family that had them stored away, neglected. I can't stand it. Makes them feel better too.

Charlie Sometimes
01-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Reason I say it dissolves rust is I've been running it as a flood lube coolant in the coolant system on my lathes and every nook and cranny that has had rust, like screw threads, etc., the rust is breaking down and dissolving. Interesting ha?

If you use it with steel wool it will break down the rust obviously, but I'm wondering what a long time coating would do?

Over how much time has this taken to happen?
Worth looking into- maybe it carries away the oxygen and moisture that cause the oxidization?

On the point of removing the pits- yes, I am tempted too, but the weather in my shop is not warm enough to perform extend operations like that yet. Maybe this spring- it's in the planning stages with a backlog of other things!

People neglect their firearms because they are LAZY, PROCRASTINATE, and FORGETFUL, and just don't plain THINK anymore. People don't have to live by their firearms anymore, for the most part, either. Other things become more important that really aren't, so they forget about them.

They also find out that YOU will do it for them- because you probably do it for FREE? Start charging them as punishment and see what happens! I used to do that for my cousins, etc. and they started taking advantage of it regularly- until it started costing them for my time.

PatMarlin
01-19-2010, 11:37 AM
It's been about 4 weeks since I detoxed my Hardinge CNC, cleaned the 30 gal coolant tank out down to clean metal, and removed the old nasty gummy oil from the tank and all surfaces. Purched and cleaned out the way oil resivior and replaced all oil with pure Ballistol.

So it's been running clean Ballistol about' 9 oz to a gallon of water in the coolant system. My other Hardinge manual chucker has had it since May I beleive. No rust or surface rust anywhere.

The CNC shows nooks and crannys of red rust bleading into the moose milk. Threaded pockets too. I just wipe that out with a rag, and eventually the rust is gone.

This is just normal rust you would get with age. Ballistol is an awesome product.

quasi
01-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Pat Marlin, what gave you the idea to use Ballistol as a coolant?. I have never heard of that use for it.

PatMarlin
01-20-2010, 12:46 AM
Ballistol has been used for machine tool oil flood coolant for a long time and I don't know why they don't promote that more. It has out performed every soluable oil for flood coolant I have tried to date.

The other oils were making my skin break out and giving me sinus irritation. Ballistol stopped all that. I drills better, and puts a better finish on turned parts. Aluminum too. Plus it leaves stuff clean.

Charlie Sometimes
01-20-2010, 10:34 AM
That's interesting! Another good reason to use it in/on muzzleloaders, too.
Send that info to Ballistol and give them a testimony- maybe they will begin to promote that point better. Maybe they'll give you some free product for that idea? Who knows?

quasi
01-20-2010, 11:10 AM
thanks Pat, I will have to try it.

PatMarlin
01-20-2010, 11:45 AM
It wasn't my idea. Ballistol's main US distributer recommended the mix ratio for machining.

One reason I looked at Ballistol for the machines is there are a lot of machinist who have serious health problems from toxic oils and coolants. I started to have a reaction in just a few months, so I knew if I was going to work in this field, I wanted to be safe. All roads pointed to Ballistol for definitely the safest alternative.

Another plus is for the envirioment and if our dear .gov was to march in and inspect your operation, the Ballistol safety data sheet is very impressive and pretty darn green.

Take pure Ballistol and drill with it. I get probably a 50% better cut than Rapid Tap, and other oil I've had around here for years when I was just doing steel fabrication.

I don't sell it, and don't mean to sound like a commercial. I'm just extremely happy with the product on so many levels.

PatMarlin
01-20-2010, 11:52 AM
One more thing-

The flood coolant I started with left a nasty oil varnish on everthing on the machine when the water evaporated. Ballistol leaves a shiney, clean finish on all surfaces that wipes right off if you want.

When I got my manual Hardinge, I had spent days cleaning that machine before I added another soluable oil flood coolant. It probably hadn't been cleaned in years.

Then when I went to switch to Ballistol, I had about the same nasty job to remove the newer stuff. No more- I'm running ballistol in everything, including way lube. The only thing I'm using Mobil on is spindle oil for the Bridgeport and my old Logan.

Charlie Sometimes
01-21-2010, 11:02 PM
Okay, I couldn't stand it. It got warmer today. Enough that with a little propane and some fire, I could get to the shop and work on this rifle's finish! :veryconfu

I disassembled it, and put the coarse wire wheel on the motor, and went at it. After that, I put the emery cloth to it, and buffed the barrel a while. I still need to get some of the smaller pits out, and take it down with progressively finer grits, but this is much improved. I didn't have enough time to work it completely down, and the cold blue didn't take very well (I think it's gettting old), but it will do until it gets warmer, or I can send it out for a blue job (after I decide what I want it to look like).

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS13.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c164/BaptisteBrown/Charlie%20Sometimes/1895SS14.jpg

PatMarlin
01-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Looks real good Charlie.

Actually, I like the look of guns steel wooled down to the white. Makes em' look like "vintage" antiques... :mrgreen:

Charlie Sometimes
01-21-2010, 11:40 PM
"Vintage" is okay on some guns, but this one is calling "bead blast and blue". :lol:
The more I fool with this rifle, the more I think I am going to keep it- and I haven't shot it yet! :bigsmyl2:
It really feels good at the sholder, and has good balance. :grin:

Boondocker
01-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Keep up the good work Charlie, you'll get her where you like it. My next one is going to be a 45/70. Boon:drinks:

Charlie Sometimes
01-22-2010, 11:55 AM
My next one is going to be turdy-turdy!
I've been eyeing the Marlin 336XLR 30-30 SS 24 LAM.

largom
01-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Charlie, Congrats on the 45-70. Word of caution, They are addictive! I have 4 now and love to shoot them. If your Marlin micro groove is like mine it will love cast boolits. Took two doe with mine this year.

As for the finish on your gun, you might want to look at the Duro-Coat spray on finish sold by Midway. I did two 98 Mausers with the matt black last summer and was very pleased with the results. They also make a filler that will fill in rust pits. One of the mausers was deaply pitted under the hand gaurd and this filler worked great. Bead blasting is required before coating. Cost me $20.00 to coat 2 rifles and I still have product left over.

Time to order a RCBS 45-405FN mold.

Larry

Charlie Sometimes
01-22-2010, 02:41 PM
One of my local "gun buddies" said the same thing about the duro-coat option. He's done a couple of military rifles, and swears by it, too. I'm considering it, as another option. He said I could use what he has left of his can, too.

I'd also like one of these in 375 Winchester, too!

Just Duke
01-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Good work on the rifle Charlie.

The red dot scopes are nice and quick but not exactly made for precision shooting. They are hard to sight in to. Like looking at a cluster of red glowing grapes.

NEI 485 Grain GC bullet.
30 grains of Hodgden 4198

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/LEVER%20ACTION%20SHOOTERS%20SOCIETY/002-9.jpg

Just Duke
01-29-2010, 07:44 AM
I have since backed the load down to 28 grains.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/LEVER%20ACTION%20SHOOTERS%20SOCIETY/L15.jpg

Charlie Sometimes
01-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm thinking- at least the XS ghost ring sight, and maybe a holographic sight mounted on a picatinny rail, something like your set up.

Something like this-

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=729791

ATN Ultra Holographic Red Dot Sight 33mm Heads Up Display 4-Pattern Reticle (2 MOA Dot, Crosshair with 6 MOA Dot, Open Crosshair with 6 MOA Dot, 50 MOA Circle with 6 MOA Dot) Matte

I would also like to have the straight stock and lever instead of the pistol grip style, too.
Anybody out there with an extra that wants to swap? :veryconfu

JesterGrin_1
01-29-2010, 09:02 PM
You should look at the Ultra Dot line. http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_008.htm
I have there Match Dot on my Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter in .44 Mag and works well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0069.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0073.jpg

Charlie Sometimes
01-29-2010, 09:29 PM
I was looking at the smaller MOA dots, etc., that they project. Some of these appear to be oriented for handgun use and closer shooting distances- hence the big dots, circles, etc. The one I listed had a 2 MOA dot.
I haven't settled on anything yet- I'm still getting dies, and other immediately necessary stuff together so I can shoot it. :lol: I give things a lot of serious thought before I jump in and buy something like this- I don't like having to do something over or again, if I can help it. :smile:

JesterGrin_1
01-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Ok Charlie here are my thoughts with the Marlin in 45-70.

I have the Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 of which I shoot hunting loads only which are a RD 350Gr RNFP/GC at around 1900 to 1950 FPS they are not high end loads but still darn stout.

So since my hunting ranges are between 100 and 150 yards I went with a normal mounted 3 X 9 Rifle Scope. But this turned into a BAD idea lol. If you are not very careful the scope WILL meet your head and does not feel to good and can mess up some cloths with your own blood lol. Been There lol.

I like peep sights as well as Aim Point type of sight systems but they give no magnification so in very early or late evening light they are not as good as a scope. Plus your eyes have to work very good. Remember I hunt lol.

In the end what I used and by the way very happy with is the XS Scout Mount with a 2 X 7 Pistol Scope. It gives decent magnification works well in dim light, easy to carry, easy to bring up and sight through with both eyes open. And again since it is only a 2 X 7 you can set it for the power you need for the job at hand.

Now a Scout Set up or a long eye relief scope may not let as much light in as a normal rifle scope but with the Marlin the qualities it does have shine.

I will admit that with the 2 X 7 Scope I can not get accuracy as good as I could with the 3 X 9. The 3 X 9 I would get under 3/4 in groups at 100 yards with the 2 X 7 the norm is around 1 to 1 1/2 groups but that is good enough for Deer and Wild Hog.

Bottom two were sighters and top three for group at 100 yards.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0005.jpg

So in the end only you can decide what you want out of your rifle.

Charlie Sometimes
01-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Nice groups, guys!
JesterGrin 1- that's MOA! Good shooting! You have the right set up there.

I'm looking at pointability- ranges not more than 150 yards. I figure for anything that I would use a 45-70 for, beside punching large holes in paper and in a perfectly good atmosphere getting there, might be deer, hogs, or a bear- IF I ever get a wild hair to do the last two.

I want to be able to pick up my target quickly, and I don't really want a long eye relief scope on it. The factory open sights might prove sufficient, but my eyes aren't what they used to be, so the ghost ring way back on the receiver, or the holo sight (ditto) might be the best. Scopes work well for my with my eyes such as they are, but this gun seems to call "ghost ring" to me.

JesterGrin_1
01-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Well then there you go Charlie you have it in your mind that a Ghost Ring set up would be the best for you. Try it if you like it Great.

Or better yet you can get the XS Rail and put ghost rings on it and if you feel you need to shoot longer ranges you can put a scout set up on it with quick release rings. The best of both worlds. :)

And sorry I did not put the load info up lol. It is a Ranch Dog 460-350Gr RNFP/GC with 52.OGr of H-322 in a Rem case and a Fed 210 Primer.

Or if you do not wish to cast the Hornady 350Gr J/RN with 53.OGr of H-322 in a Rem Case and the Fed 210 primer also does very well.

I have shot 300 pound plus hogs with both of these loads at 100 to 140 yards and they work very well. :)

What was I thinking lol Look at the pictures Duke has with the XS rail and quick release rings. You can mount a red dot or a scope or anything you wish and return back to a ghost ring in seconds. :)

PatMarlin
01-30-2010, 01:48 PM
I love showin' off my rig. Wish I had more time to shoot it lately ..:mrgreen:

http://www.westcoastminisplitter.com/1895scoped.jpg

Charlie Sometimes
01-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Look at the pictures Duke has with the XS rail and quick release rings. You can mount a red dot or a scope or anything you wish and return back to a ghost ring in seconds. :)

The picatinny rail is something I am considering- on top of the receiver.
This looks like a side mounted rail in the picture. I'm left handed, and if it's on the left side, it's way too far over the rifle to use with out recoil working me over.

Can we see the other side of the rifle?

I love that straight grip stock and lever! Mine has the pistol grip set up- but only until I find a set to swap it out with! I wonder what a synthetic stock would look like with the bead blast/reblue? Can you get synthetic in straight grip?

JesterGrin_1
01-30-2010, 10:17 PM
There are only a couple of places you can get a synthetic stock and they are EXPENSIVE lol.

If you go over to the Marlin Owners forum there is someone there that is going to make stocks like the ones on Duke's Marlins.

Just Duke
01-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Or you can chop it down.

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/MARLIN%20GUIDE%20GUN/201.jpg

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/MARLIN%20GUIDE%20GUN/190.jpg

http://i921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54/LEVERACTIONSHOOTERS/MARLIN/DSC_0237.jpg

I'd be all over that with KG Coating Baked on finish Charlie.
I paint my 23 AR-15's, 5 AR-10's and 50 magazines and it ROCKS!

Just Duke
01-30-2010, 11:52 PM
Don't forget Cheek Pads if you use a scope.

After receiving my Marlin 1895 XLR 45-70 and attaching a XS Sights scout rail mount. Duke and I installed red dot scopes.
Problem....... ???
The scopes sat to high for either one of us!
Solution! Coyote M1A Cheek Rest for the M-14 also works on Marlin and variant lever guns. Now we can see the scope with out having to crane our necks and have a solid cheek weld to the stock. We ordered the 1 inch tall Cheek Rest for our Marlins.

Coyote M1A Cheek Rest Link (http://coyotem1a.com/)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/LEVER%20ACTION%20SHOOTERS%20SOCIETY/002-1.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/LEVER%20ACTION%20SHOOTERS%20SOCIETY/001-2.jpg

Charlie Sometimes
01-31-2010, 01:16 AM
After seeing those pictures- I think I will look into that XS rail system.

Those pictures leave me with just one more question-

What kinda truck is that? :bigsmyl2: :veryconfu ROFLMAO!

Frank
01-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Anyone try the Harris bipod on a Marlin 1895? I saw a fellow who was sighting in for pig hunting with a Harris on his 30/30. I laughed but he was serious and said the combo was good. I forgot to take a look at the mounting.

Buffalo Barbie
02-03-2010, 09:53 AM
After seeing those pictures- I think I will look into that XS rail system.

Those pictures leave me with just one more question-

What kinda truck is that? :bigsmyl2: :veryconfu ROFLMAO!

THAT'S A REDNECK TRUCK! lol :kidding:
Ford Crew Cab Dually Diesel 4X4 F350. Did I miss anything.
Type in "Rednecks" in the Search Engine here. ;)
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=799947&posted=1#post799947

9.3X62AL
02-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Charlie--

You have that rifle coming right along, sir.

That load listed by Duke & Barbie (350 grainer, 28.0 x H-4198) is an all-day shooter, its accuracy beside the point. Right around 1873-level ballistics, and the targets speak for themselves.

I too had recent cataract surgery and artificial lens placement in my right eye, and it's about healed completely. Visual clarity is GREATLY improved, and I'm kinda jazzed about getting out and shooting again from my strong side.

Frank
02-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Buffalo Barbie said
THAT'S A REDNECK TRUCK! lol
Ford Crew Cab Dually Diesel 4X4 F350. Did I miss anything.
Type in "Rednecks" in the Search Engine here.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...d=1#post799947

I think Duke and his gal look like models for a Cabela's catalog cover. Not like the gangster types we usually get stuck with.

JesterGrin_1
02-03-2010, 08:31 PM
No Comment

JesterGrin_1
02-03-2010, 08:36 PM
The Load I used with the RD350 I have listed many times. Just ask Frank above how it works. :)

Frank
02-04-2010, 12:04 AM
It was good. 52 grns H322 as good as you can hold. I only shot 5, 51.5 opened up. I should have tried 52.5, next time. For you guys who don't like scopes, forget it. You NEED a scope with the Marlin 1895. I say knock the rear sight off and put more power. These rifles put them on the spot with many powders and bullets. That's a lousy group but I can tell what the load can do.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=123&pictureid=1866

JesterGrin_1
02-04-2010, 04:03 AM
Frank Thank You for the update. But please do not let the others take my word for it about how this load kicks out of a Guide Gun Marlin lol. As I say all the time put a good butt pad on it such as a Limb Saver you will need it. :)

This is not a high end load by the book but I feel pushing a 350Gr at 1900 to 1950FPS gets the job done. :)

Frank good going I can see you put two rounds in almost the exact same hole.

Frank
02-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks. Maybe a spacer too to lengthen the stock might help.

JesterGrin_1
02-04-2010, 02:39 PM
For myself I feel the stock length is fine. I just wish they made a rifle scope with 4 or more inches of eye relief.

As I had to remove my rifle scope in favor if a pistol type of scope set up scout style. For some odd reason I just did not like the sharp contact with my head now and then lol. And besides the blood in the eye can sure cut down vision lol.

JesterGrin_1
02-04-2010, 02:46 PM
This is the 52.OGr load of H-322 at 100 yards from my Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 and the Ranch dog 350Gr. Bottom two sighters top three for group. With a 3X9 Rifle Scope.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/IMAG0005.jpg

If you do not cast this is the Hornady 350Gr J/RN with 53.0Gr of H-322 100 yards same rifle and same scope. This one is when I was looking for a good load with jacket should I not have time to cast. :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/Marlin45-70GS.jpg

Charlie Sometimes
03-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Well, I FINALLY got everything to load and shoot this baby! :bigsmyl2:

This past weekend was spent lubing boolits of various weights that I have been casting when weather warmed sufficiently enought to withstand 2 or 3 hours of cold shop, then preping and priming cases.

The first boolit I sent down range was the J/P 45-200 that I previously mentioned. Loaded with the following combination- new RP cases, WLR primer, 11 gr. of Trail Boss, and a little Dacron wadding. Used my homemade lube (pan lubed- no sizer dies yet) in the deep groove, and gave it a good roll crimp. OAL is 2.379"

I thought these would just be good function test or plinking load, but these babies have a pretty good down range impact, and no recoil! They really smacked my 12 inch steel plates at 50 yards, shooting a little high (factory sights), so I took a couple of off hand shots at a large flat rock out at 100 or so yards and put it right "smack" in the middle- on the money! [smilie=w:
This rifle might be a "keeper"! It was so much fun, I cranked off 25 rounds, and stopped only due to rain and darkness approaching.

I recovered one of the boolits shot at a plate- 70 gr. lead "nickel" was all that was left from the 210 gr. projectile! :cool:

I will try to get some of these on a target to see how they are grouping next, and then work on a load or two for some of the other boolits I've got ready to load. I've got Lee 340 & 405, Lyman 457124 (385 gr.), 457483 (378 gr.), and 457676 (510 gr.)
All of these are casting heavier than listed, and slightly oversized (459), too- I'm using Lyman #2 or WW. The 457676 says 510 with 20:1, but I'm getting 525 gr. with WW!

The open sights worked okay, but I still want the XS ghost ring sight and rail set up- ought to be just the ticket for my old eyes, and a holo or red dot sight, or maybe a long eye relief scope in scout configuration. A blue job will be pending for this summer, before any of that happens.

Things are lining up for a spring full of fun now! [smilie=p:

crabo
03-16-2010, 11:06 PM
I like the Cabellas lace on cheekpiece. You can get it in several different heights.

ammohead
03-16-2010, 11:52 PM
I looked real close and didn't see any Nevada pin striping on that truck!

ammohead

PatMarlin
03-17-2010, 02:09 AM
I'd feel guilty shooin' up those pirdy Birchwood Casey lime green targets.

Just Duke
03-17-2010, 04:49 AM
I looked real close and didn't see any Nevada pin striping on that truck!

ammohead

Lets go puts some on it! :lovebooli

ammohead
03-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Lets go puts some on it! :lovebooli

You and Barbie come up to Winnemucca this May for Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot and we'll go find some country to put some on it!

ammohead

Just Duke
03-18-2010, 07:30 AM
You and Barbie come up to Winnemucca this May for Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot and we'll go find some country to put some on it!

ammohead

My PM to Bruce B was never returned. I'm assuming I'm not invited.

BruceB
03-18-2010, 09:21 AM
Holy smokes!

I just saw this post from Duke. This must be one of the missing PMs that mysteriously plague me from time to time.

Duke, EVERYONE is invited, and we would be mighty pleased if you and your better half could make it.

Humblest apologies for the mis-understanding.

ammohead
03-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Duke,

As BruceB said everyone is invited. This is not a exclusive or elitist bunch of shooters by any means. I don't know how much of the state you have had the pleasure of checking out but a trip to Winnemucca will be worth the ride from Vegas in itself. Go north up one side of the test range and come down the other. It is probably a wash for distance.

Sorry for the hijack

ammohead

Just Duke
03-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Holy smokes!

I just saw this post from Duke. This must be one of the missing PMs that mysteriously plague me from time to time.

Duke, EVERYONE is invited, and we would be mighty pleased if you and your better half could make it.

Humblest apologies for the mis-understanding.

Thanks for the invite Bruce. We'll both be there! [smilie=2:

Just Duke
03-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Duke,

As BruceB said everyone is invited. This is not a exclusive or elitist bunch of shooters by any means. I don't know how much of the state you have had the pleasure of checking out but a trip to Winnemucca will be worth the ride from Vegas in itself. Go north up one side of the test range and come down the other. It is probably a wash for distance.

Sorry for the hijack

ammohead

Let us know if and when you get to Vegas Ammohead. We'll meet up if you have the chance.

ammohead
03-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Not too likely in the near future. I was working down in Henderson and staying in Vegas over by the Rio and Palms at a little extended stay place from Oct to Xmas but the job ran out. If something turns up again I will look you up. It would have been fun to have something to do other than watch tv.

ammohead

PatMarlin
03-18-2010, 10:17 PM
Ain't dat wot wimmens are for? ...:mrgreen:

ammohead
03-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Yep, and in Vegas they got em. Waved at one girl while I was sitting at the ATM at the bank one morning...next thing I know she is in the passenger seat talking money! I had to explain that I was on my way to work and I was just being friendly.

Another evening I was approached as I left a casino after having dinner for a ride. It was cold so I gave the ride...didn't make it a block and she was talking money for fun. I explained that I was in town to make money not spend it and didn't have much on me. "How much you got?" "$34.00" "That will do".

Even I know a bargain when I see one.

ammohead

Charlie Sometimes
03-21-2010, 07:11 PM
Well, I tried yesterday to get something on paper.
I can not see the factory front sight well enough against the target to get on the paper at 75 yds. When I could guess well enough, I got probably less than a 2 inch group on average- cut a few bullet holes, too, but OFF the paper! :groner:
The 210 gr. load is fun to shoot, but shoots about 10 inches high at 75 yards. I kept holding under the target, but my eye sight worked against me. Now, I could ring my 12 inch plates easy enough, and even hit a few pop cans I sat up, too. Go figure.......... :veryconfu

Got to load some more now- shot up everything I had worked up! [smilie=w:

Charlie Sometimes
04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm gonna have ta put a scope on this thing- I can't see the open sights well enough on different backgrounds to group a group of groups! :groner:
I think that means droping the plan to use the XS sight system as discussed previously.
But I am having lots of fun punching big holes in a perfectly good atmosphere! :bigsmyl2:

Next gun show will have me looking to trade up a good varible power scope in the lower magnification ranges- say 2x to 7x?

jh45gun
04-07-2010, 11:08 PM
1X4 x OR 1.5 X 4.5 x like I put on mine works very well.

Charlie Sometimes
04-08-2010, 08:42 AM
1X4 x OR 1.5 X 4.5 x like I put on mine works very well.

That 1.5x-4.5x sounds like the ticket I need- what brand and objective diameter? I need extra light, and the bigger ones let more light in early in the morning.

I've got a Redfield Jr. base, and Leupold medium rings ready to go on it now.

KirkD
04-08-2010, 08:57 AM
I had a Marlin 1895 SS once. The 'SS' does not stand for stainless steel. it was a beautiful rifle. The only reason I sold it was to come up with the cash to buy a Browning 1886 SRC 45-70. There's nothing wrong with a scope on a Marlin. I always figure a scope on a leveraction Winchester looks bad, but it looks good on a Marlin.

jh45gun
04-08-2010, 11:48 AM
That 1.5x-4.5x sounds like the ticket I need- what brand and objective diameter? I need extra light, and the bigger ones let more light in early in the morning.

I've got a Redfield Jr. base, and Leupold medium rings ready to go on it now.

The one I have is an older Weaver on it. Doing a quick search shows that pretty much every one of the major brand scope companies make either a 1xby4x or a 1.5xby4.5x or a 1xby5x variable.

jh45gun
04-08-2010, 11:50 AM
I had a Marlin 1895 SS once. The 'SS' does not stand for stainless steel. it was a beautiful rifle. The only reason I sold it was to come up with the cash to buy a Browning 1886 SRC 45-70. There's nothing wrong with a scope on a Marlin. I always figure a scope on a leveraction Winchester looks bad, but it looks good on a Marlin.

The side mounted scopes on a top eject always looked weird but I saw a scout scope mounted one like the old time forward mounted scopes and it did not look bad. Main thing on a lever I think is to use a smaller scope they just look better or a red dot.

Charlie Sometimes
04-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks!
I hadn't had time to search the web yet to see what was available- so I know what I'll be watching for at the gun show.
It's easy to find good ones at cheaper prices there.
I like those old Weavers, too- I favor all the older styles, but a lot of improvements have been made on lens coatings, finishes, etc. over the years so it's hard to avoid buying the new ones!

JesterGrin_1
04-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I use this Scope on my Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 and thus far it has worked well. http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-pistol-long-eye-relief-scope-4x32-pistol-scope-blue-ring-spb432b.html It is a 2 X 7 by NcStar that will not break the bank at under $40.oo. :)

Charlie Sometimes
04-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I've located a Tasco 1.5x-4.5x x 32mm World Class Series in Matte finish that ought to work for me- $39.95! Once I get the rifle blasted and reblued it will look great on it.

jh45gun
04-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Should work just fine

Charlie Sometimes
04-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Well, I hit the same area gun show today where I bought this rifle.
It's there every other month.
I never got around to ordering a scope- changed my mind on the one mentioned above because of the objective diameter and my ring height to barrel proximity, so I have been watching for something here and there.

I located an older Redfield 1 3/4- 5x Variable Widefield scope in great condition for this rifle at this show.

It was marked $100, and I asked "What's the least you'll take?"
Fella said, "Make an offer."
I said, " $60", and throwed it out on the table- he took it, and said, "It's yours!"

:bigsmyl2:

It had the old style Weaver 1" dovetail rings on it. Took them off, and put them in my pocket.

It is perfect for this rifle- very good eye relief, too.
LOOKS REAL GOOD- got to shoot it more now!
Gonna load more tomorrow. :grin:

jh45gun
04-25-2010, 12:10 AM
Good Deal that scope ought to work fine on your rifle. Congrats

MT Gianni
01-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Any updates on the rifle Charlie? I walked out the door with one this week for $325. 22" 1895Ss Microgroove.