PDA

View Full Version : Pan lube can be messy, tips to "tweak" my formula or process?

357shooter
01-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Hi,

After using Darr lube (pan lubing) I seem to need to wipe every bullet when I'm loading them. Crimp, remove, wipe, done.

Maybe I'll just get used to it, but maybe there is an easy tweak to not be so messy with the lube getting all over the bullets.

I was hoping to make a lube from products I can buy locally and couldn't find beeswax so the Darr lube seemed just right.

Suggestion for a newbee?

Wayne Smith
01-16-2010, 08:48 PM
I don't know where you live but most communities have a farmer's cooperative, here it's Southern States. They usually have products from the local beekeepers and will know them. Beeswax should be available from them, locally.

lylejb
01-17-2010, 12:31 AM
look for someplace that sells beekeeping supplies. They'll either have it, or know which of their customers do.

In my area, ( near portland, or) Ruhl bee supply had beeswax they called "blackpowder special". It was darker colored than their cosmetics grade, which doesn't matter for lube. It was also $2.75 for a "half pound" that I'm sure was bigger that the 1 lb blocks of their top grade stuff. They still list it on their web site.

http://www.ruhlbeesupply.com/

look in their online store.

Also, a member here, randyrat sells beeswax. see his thread in the vendor sponser section

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=59975

44man
01-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Hi,

After using Darr lube (pan lubing) I seem to need to wipe every bullet when I'm loading them. Crimp, remove, wipe, done.

Maybe I'll just get used to it, but maybe there is an easy tweak to not be so messy with the lube getting all over the bullets.

I was hoping to make a lube from products I can buy locally and couldn't find beeswax so the Darr lube seemed just right.

Suggestion for a newbee?
I go through that with every load! [smilie=1: I get lube everywhere. But I like soft lube and will never change.
I suppose if I had to load a lot of rounds for one of those games, I might change hardness.

357shooter
01-17-2010, 11:26 AM
I go through that with every load! [smilie=1: I get lube everywhere. But I like soft lube and will never change.
I suppose if I had to load a lot of rounds for one of those games, I might change hardness.

Maybe I just need to adapt a bit. It didn't seem to slow me down too much. The lube works great and is so easy to make...

I put the bullets through my sizer after lubing, hoping to clean them up a bit. Turns out that just made a bigger mess. Truth is I don't need to size as they are all ending up in the right size range anyway. Heck, a little bigger wouldn't hurt.

Once loaded they all look pretty good (very good actually) and not so messy. I just don't want to spread the lube all over the range leaving a trail of stickyness behind. LOL

mooman76
01-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Craft stores have bees wax.

TAWILDCATT
01-17-2010, 11:49 AM
if your using Lee tumble lube dip the groves in lube and set to dry on alum foil.
if harder lube heat and dip.I got a electric fryer pot in a yard sale for couple bucks and use that to melt my lube.:coffeecom

Calamity Jake
01-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Using a fired case for the caliber being loaded, cut off the head and us it for a cookie cutter to remove the boolits from the pan, this leaves the grooves full and a thin coat of lube on the body elemanating a lot of the mess.

357shooter
01-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Using a fired case for the caliber being loaded, cut off the head and us it for a cookie cutter to remove the boolits from the pan, this leaves the grooves full and a thin coat of lube on the body elemanating a lot of the mess.

OK, I cut the head off of a fired 45acp... but it doesn't fit over the bullets. Ideas?

357shooter
01-17-2010, 04:19 PM
if your using Lee tumble lube dip the groves in lube and set to dry on alum foil.
if harder lube heat and dip.I got a electric fryer pot in a yard sale for couple bucks and use that to melt my lube.:coffeecom

I'm doing a pan lube on the bullets.

Oh, not using any Lee Alox in the pan lube recipe.

Calamity Jake
01-17-2010, 08:01 PM
OK, I cut the head off of a fired 45acp... but it doesn't fit over the bullets. Ideas?

See if a friend has a 45-70, 90, 458 win mag ect. case to use.
It needs to a fired case so the mouth will be big enough.

I can send you a couple of fired 45C cases if you want them.

357shooter
01-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Craft stores have bees wax.

Thanks for the tip, went and bought some.

357shooter
01-17-2010, 09:03 PM
See if a friend has a 45-70, 90, 458 win mag ect. case to use.
It needs to a fired case so the mouth will be big enough.

I can send you a couple of fired 45C cases if you want them.
OHHH, that makes sense. I might be able to find one at the indoor range. I'll see this week as I shoot a couple times a week. Thanks for the offer to send one, if I come up dry I may take you up on that.

JSnover
01-18-2010, 10:44 AM
May need to expand the case mouth a little to get a slip fit. Instead of cutting off the head, a lot of people drill out the primer pocket for a more user-friendly tool. Search kake (or cake) cutter for some threads on this.

Marvin S
01-18-2010, 11:02 AM
I think it is a messy process anyway but it works well. I only pan lube for my 43 Spanish and use a 45LC case with the primer pocket drilled to accept a roofing nail.
I use the Bees wax Olive oil and Petroleum jelly mix. It is soft and works very well.