PDA

View Full Version : Nipple removal

pittbull46
01-16-2010, 04:55 PM
I bought a used san marco 1858 I am trying to take the old nipples out I just broke a new nipple wrench an they did not budge can anybody help? thanks

2ndAmendmentNut
01-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I would soak the cylinder in some sort of penetrating oil, then try again with a new wrench.

MtGun44
01-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Heat and pentrating oil alternating. Start with a penetrating oil like Kroil or other
specifically branded as penetrating from the hardware store. Let sit wet for a
few days, then heat with a propane torch to very warm, not hot enough to damage
the finish and try again. You may want to smack the wrench with a small brass hammer
some to try to break the rust loose, too. If it doesn't work, reapply the oil while still hot
and wait a few more days. Ultimately you may have to drill. If you have a left hand
drill bit (runs in the direction of unscrewing the bolt (nipple)) these have worked extremely
well for me. If no left hand drills, us a regular and use a broken bolt extractor.

Good luck.

Bill

44man
01-16-2010, 05:11 PM
All nipples should be put in with anti seize on the threads. Used guns from someone that never cleaned or lubed them can be a problem.
I would plug the nipples and squirt a little Kroil into each chamber and let it soak.

Hardcast416taylor
01-16-2010, 05:39 PM
A few years back a friend of made a nipple wrench out of a small 1/4" socket. He turned the o.d. on a mini-lathe then cut the slot for the nipple shoulder. Worked great, wish I could have him make me one before his passing.Robert

pittbull46
01-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the info I found a site that has a wrench that he said he made and it should work if I can get it made I will let you know

mooman76
01-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Some of those nipple wrenches are pretty brittle and break easy so get a good one.

docone31
01-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Make sure the wrench you get is a good fit. A sloppy wrench can break easily.
When I had a revolver that had "stuck" nipples, I did an old trick that worked for me in mechanics. Tighten it, then loosen it.
with my nipples, I just do not tighten them that much. Down tight and that is it.
With a revolver, it is important to use the correct wrench. I made a mess of things the other way.
Good luck.
While you are waiting, soak the cylinder in penetrating oil. Can't hurt.

Captain*Kirk
01-17-2010, 01:07 AM
Try soaking overnight in Kroil...the best penetrant on the planet. Spray a couple ounces down the bore, let the hammer down on the nipple with a patch between hammer & nipple, stand 'er on end and soak.
If it still won't break loose, I would try picking up a tapered stud extractor or the right diameter. Short of snapping it off, this should get it.

pittbull46
01-21-2010, 12:02 PM
Hello Thanks for the help I found a web site with a home made nipple wrench and had my brother make it worked alot better than the store bought ones and the instructions are great here is the site for anybody who can get a lathe deansphotographica.com

Rodfac
01-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Gotta hurt like... Had to say it...Rodfac