PDA

View Full Version : How to identify Zinc WW??

Plainsman
01-16-2010, 03:11 PM
I have been searching for the way(s) to identify zinc WW's and have not found anything concise. I would appreciate it if you could tell me or show me (pic) how to identify zinc WW's?

Thank you for any/all assistance! :)

454PB
01-16-2010, 03:17 PM
Look for Zn marked on the weight.

Try using a side cutter, zinc is much harder than lead.

If the weight is too hard to cut, it's either zinc or steel (usually marked Fe).

Or........keep the smelting temperature below 650 degrees. Zinc melts at 767 degrees and the zinc weights will float on the melt surface.

Shiloh
01-16-2010, 04:36 PM
See above.

They will float on the melt. Take them out They wll also sort of ring when dropped. Lead is more of a thud. Starting to see a lot of them.

Shiloh

Muddy Creek Sam
01-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Muriatic acid, will react with zinc or zinc/lead alloy. Use in a well ventilated area.

Sam :D

lwknight
01-17-2010, 12:40 AM
When you get entirely too many zinc wheel weights, sell them back to the scrap yard. Mine pays $0.45 per pound.

WHITETAIL
01-17-2010, 09:46 AM
:smile:Like what was said.
Look at what you have and take
out all of the non lead itoms.
Then melt the batch at or less than 700 deg.
Skim off all that floats.
Then add some saw dust or stir with a paint stick.:cbpour:

DeadWood
01-22-2010, 02:46 PM
glad i found this thread. just getting into the "habbit" and in my search for WW, i discovered a co-worker who says he cast his own. Last night he informed me don't use WW because of the zink WW there using today and it would contaminate my melt? I don't know if he's just keeping me from taking from his sources or what.

From the above posts as long as i keep the pot temperture below 700F the zincWW will float to the top correct??

If there is a small amount that gets mixed in the melt what are the efffects?

lwknight
01-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Deadwood, That is correct. The zincies will floatie. After picking out all the obvious zinc and smelting the rest, you will notice a point where the slushy becomes very liquid and the clumpy dross will give up the clips and zinc weights cleanly. At this point your melt will be about 600-620 degrees.
Perfect time to toss a bit of wax in to help release the goodie stuff from the junk. Then just dip it off with a slotted spoon.

The stick on weights are a bit nastier. They will clump up the foam and even when you burn it , smokes like crazy. The problem is that if you are burning on top of the melt , you can get it hot evough to melt zinc. I just dip off the nasty floaty stuff and even though there might be a little bit of lead in it, its not that much to lose.

wistlepig1
01-22-2010, 06:46 PM
This post is great timing for me. Today I was GIVEN 1/2 bucket of ww. If I get it right, use side cutters, if it cuts good it is good, if not it's not lead ww?

10 ga
01-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Trade or sell your zinc to the guys that cast fishing gear. Lots of the places to fish, state and federal lakes-properties, require non-lead gear. The zinc is easy to cast and does not require special molds etc... PM when you have some zinc ingots. 10 ga

badgeredd
01-22-2010, 08:07 PM
This post is great timing for me. Today I was GIVEN 1/2 bucket of ww. If I get it right, use side cutters, if it cuts good it is good, if not it's not lead ww?

You're right on the money!!!

Edd

wistlepig1
01-23-2010, 10:26 PM
I sorter today, stick ons, painted, and cut with side cutter lead?!
About 1/4 of all were painted, they cut but were tuffer, I think I could have cut them in to with more pressure. Would they be zink? I also found 3 only Fe, no cut on Fe.

If the painted are zink, I think I will make fishing Wt's out of them.

leadman
01-24-2010, 12:01 AM
The paint might be an epoxy coating. Not all coated are zinc, lead is also coated.

I spoke with a man that reclaims metals and sells lead. He said alot of the wheel weights have more arsenic in them now as the amount of antimony has been reduced. That is why he said some of the lead weights are much harder.

He also said India and China are buying all the lead he can send them and don't care what is in the alloy. So what are we getting back in the Chinese wheel weights.

The zinc weights will not cut at all (unless you're a gorilla) more of a marring on the surface, while even the harder lead will at least cut 1/16" or so without much trouble.

Zinc is noticeably lighter, especially in the larger sizes.

After sorting for awhile I get tired and miss some zinc, so just keep my pot temp below 650'.

wistlepig1
01-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Lead man,
Thanks for the info----- THE 6'-2', 265lbs gorilla:bigsmyl2: