PDA

View Full Version : Converting a No.1 Mk.3 to rimfire

corvette8n
01-16-2010, 12:07 PM
I have a wallhanger Enfield No.1 Mk.3 that I would like to convert myself to .22 rimfire. It currently has excess headspace and a rough barrel so I would like to reline it to .22. Is there anything else I need to take into consideration? What do I need to do to the bolt?

deltaenterprizes
01-16-2010, 12:23 PM
A lot of work. Weld up or solder the original firing pin hole closed and make an offset firing pin. An extractor and ejector will be need also. I hope you have a lathe and a mill and know how to use them.
The bolt face could be bored and an insert made to house the firing pin,extractor and ejector, those 3 components are needed to make it function and it will only be a single shot

enfield
01-17-2010, 09:35 AM
I made a #1 and a#4 and just made a barrel bushing from a 1 inch bolt ( fine thread I think 14 th/inch, threads right in where the enfield barrel comes out ) and bored it out offset so the 22 barrel was not centered and therefore the origional firing pin hit the rim of the 22. I was still able to put millitary wood back on and cover up any ugliness [smilie=1: they shoot good ( the #4 better because of the sights I suspect ) . careful getting the barrel out of the enfield action they can be in pretty tight:oops:.

m.chalmers
01-17-2010, 10:57 AM
Check gunparts inc. They had the kit for the No I MkIII. Kit had the bolt, tube and mag.

Also, you can do it yourself cheap. Sleeve the barrel(glue style) and find a bolt on e-bay.

Good luck!

Multigunner
01-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Parts for the original .22 conversions are still available from some Canadian sources, not sure if they can ship to the US.

I forget which site I saw these on but they had bolts and boltheads and such, original manufacture parts.