PDA

View Full Version : Resizing just part of a boolit

abunaitoo
01-16-2010, 05:48 AM
I don't have a boolit resizer.
I use Lee sizers when I need to resize.
I'm having a problem with the boolits being to fat to chamber.
I want to resize just the top half of it.
Has anyone made a partial sizer out of a Lee sizing die?????

Flash
01-16-2010, 09:02 AM
What caliber and what case? Can they be seated any deeper without causing too much pressure?

Springfield
01-16-2010, 12:41 PM
Get a Lyman sizer, push the bullet part way in and then extract. I can't see how a LEE would work as the bullet has to go all the way through.

Wayne S
01-16-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't have a boolit resizer.
I use Lee sizers when I need to resize.
I'm having a problem with the boolits being to fat to chamber.So you tried these unsized ?? and the top driving band hits in the throat or the nose hits the lands ??
I want to resize just the top half of it. the bore riding nose OR the top driving band ??
Has anyone made a partial sizer out of a Lee sizing die?????
What bullet are you talking about ??

anachronism
01-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Top 1/2? Are you just looking to size the noses?

JSnover
01-16-2010, 03:06 PM
Get a Lyman sizer, push the bullet part way in and then extract. I can't see how a LEE would work as the bullet has to go all the way through.

Easy. I just did some this morning. Screw the Lee push-through sizer into the press so the only part of the boolit you want to size goes in deep enough to do that when the ram is all the way up. It's trial and error: Size one till it feels about right (should be stuck maybe halfway into the die. Lower the ram and gently tap it out with a wood dowel from the top. Measure it. Adjust. Repeat till you get the right nose size. It's a slow process because each boolit needs to be tapped out by hand and caught so it doesn't get dinged up but it works. A little case lube or tranny fluid will make things easier. Honing the die will also help.

Springfield
01-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I'd rather buy a cheap old used Lyman 45 and speed things up considerably. Oh wait, that is what I did, when I wanted to make some heeled bullets from regular bullets. If you are going to be doing a lot of these you might want to consider doing that also. If you are only doing 10-20 bullets then no big deal.

JSnover
01-16-2010, 04:32 PM
I probably will buy or make a proper die for this if it works out. Just an experiment right now.