PDA

View Full Version : Revolver Poll

2ndAmendmentNut
01-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Which type of revolvers are your favorites? Feel free to post why.

targetshootr
01-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Favorites of each kind are in the safe. Cause they're fun to shoot and tinker with.

Bullshop Junior
01-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Single action.
Reasons ~

#1 - I don't like the way most D/As cylinders turn counter clock wise.
#2 - Less parts to break on a single action.
#3 - I have 2 S/A, and no D/A, so why change?
#4 - I like big cal pistols
#5 - You will never shoot a big cal pistol like a 44 Mag D/A

MT Gianni
01-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Each kind. I would have to do inventory but i think DA wins.
Junior, when you practice DA shooting you get good or better. A large pistol like a Redhawk eats a lot of recoils and with practice and a good trigger it's easier than you think.

jhrosier
01-15-2010, 10:15 PM
My favorites are Single Actions because:

They are tough.

They are uncomplicated.

They (mine at least ) are accurate.

They handle stout loads that would leave a double action with excess wear / broken parts.

They are faster for the first shot than any other type of handgun.

The plow handle grip is much more comfortable to shoot with full loads than any double action.

I'm a closet B-western cowboy. :bigsmyl2:

Jack

Edubya
01-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Single action.
Reasons ~

#1 - I don't like the way most D/As cylinders turn counter clock wise.
#2 - Less parts to break on a single action.
#3 - I have 2 S/A, and no D/A, so why change?
#4 - I like big cal pistols

"#5 - You will never shoot a big cal pistol like a 44 Mag D/A" WRONG! I may be the odd one here, I seem to concentrate more when I'm shooting DA but I'll generally shoot more accurately with my 629. BS, every time that you make an absolute statement like that, you'll find that you're not like 100% of all of the rest of the world.
I carry a 642 as an every day SD weapon and I'll shoot a 100 times or so a week as practice and this has maybe given me a slightly different feel and perspective on shooting. For those that don't know, the 642 is DA only.
EW

kingstrider
01-15-2010, 10:16 PM
4 Blackhawks and an Old Army vs. 4 S&W's. I like the SA slightly more for cool factor I guess.

9.3X62AL
01-15-2010, 10:20 PM
I like both, and use both extensively. D/As outnumber S/As about 3 to 1 presently.

Vance in Ak
01-15-2010, 10:20 PM
I like them both.
love my BH 41 mah with 4.5" barrel & heavy bullets for a belt gun when I hiking & bow hunting. Small & light, forget it's there.
I like DAs for hunting handguns. Just prefer the way they feel in recoil etc. Love my SRH. Love mod 29s too.

Heavy lead
01-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Just counted 11 single, 10 double, 4 auto. I'm still deciding! I'll let you know in a few years.

Just rethought, I'm voting double action for one reason and one reason only, I shoot them better (mostly). Don't know why, just do.

Guarantee one thing though, I like and will have more of both. (auto's too, make that 1911's too).

FWIW, I practice with my scoped SRH double action at 25 yards double action, never took any game that way, but you play like you practice.

oldhickory
01-15-2010, 10:25 PM
I like em both!:D I guess it depends on my mood at the time I open the safe.

Daniel, Colt D.A.s revolve clockwise, they have for over 100yrs, and they're wonderful revolvers to shoot from the small frame Police Positive Special to the big old New Service, (I have no experiance with the newer Colts).

D.A.s are easier to work on due to a side plate on most and Ruger's moduler construction.

If I want to carry anything bigger than a Colt New Service, Ruger SBH, or an N frame S&W, I'll carry a rifle. There's just so much weight I'll tolerate hanging on my belt.

I regulerly practice with my 4" S&W 629-3 D.A. at combat range, (20') with my normal carry load, (20gr. of 2400 under a 250gr. Keith boolit) it's not difficult to master at all. A Colt SAA can do the same, just a little slower due to the roll of the recoil in the hand.

I do like them both, but I've owned a bunch more D.A.s mostly due to economics.

Bullshop Junior
01-15-2010, 10:27 PM
"#5 - You will never shoot a big cal pistol like a 44 Mag D/A" WRONG! I may be the odd one here, I seem to concentrate more when I'm shooting DA but I'll generally shoot more accurately with my 629. BS, every time that you make an absolute statement like that, you'll find that you're not like 100% of all of the rest of the world.
I carry a 642 as an every day SD weapon and I'll shoot a 100 times or so a week as practice and this has maybe given me a slightly different feel and perspective on shooting. For those that don't know, the 642 is DA only.
EW
I was kidding.

When my dad was timber falling, he used to tell every one that they would never shoot a 44 D/A, so why get one (He wad a Ruger RH). When he had to kill a bear that was charging, he shot it 1 time S/A, then then 3 times D/A without thinking about in.

That's is why I posted that as a joke.

Tazman1602
01-15-2010, 10:48 PM
Man I like them both -------- but I've had DA a heckuva lot longer than I've had single action as I just got my first one (SA). Love my semi's too but the feel of that SA is just WAY too cool. I"ve never been able to shoot DA very well, but I guess in a self defense situation I'd rather have access to a DA.

OK, any *accurate* revolver will do.

RayinNH
01-15-2010, 11:11 PM
I have three Blackhawks in .357, .44mag and .45Colt/ACP. One Redhawk and a Servive Six double actions. I don't carry, so the double actions are shot single action at the range. I've never had a target charge me yet, so I have no need for a quick follow up shot. Bottom feeders, I have one my father gave me. I can't hit anything with it or any other auto that I've ever tried. It's probably from limp wristing the gun, something I do with the single actions so that recoil doesn't beat me up. It's hard to change ways after so many years. Just too much banging and clanging with autos to suit me...Ray

Marlin Hunter
01-15-2010, 11:13 PM
I like double actions better than single actions, but I never shoot double action.

docone31
01-15-2010, 11:16 PM
I like the Cap and Balls. I currently have two .44 Colt Navy, not sure they actually made them back then.
I like it.
I used to have the biggees. An XP made up in .338/06 Ackley. 15" Barrel. Devastating recoil. Not that much fun. Dan Wesson .445 SuperMag. Nice but heavy.
The usual .45s. The Cap and Balls are more relaxing. It takes all day to fire off a lot. Makes it easy to make each shot count. Takes too much time to load.
Heavy caliber economy.

2ndAmendmentNut
01-15-2010, 11:29 PM
Own both and like both, but have to vote for DA revolvers. The SA revolvers win the beauty contest for sure though. DA revolvers are more practical IMHO, they can still be shot SA but have the option of a quick DA pull. They also reload much faster.

Mk42gunner
01-15-2010, 11:47 PM
How to say this...... I like and dislike versions of them all.

Bottom feeders-- John Browning designed the best ones: 1911 and the Colt Woodsman. I have broken way too many Beretta locking blocks to trust one.

Double action-- .44 Magnum: The 5 1/2" Ruger Redhawk shot (and felt) better for me than my buddy'e 629 Classic Hunter.

.38/.357- S&W K and L frames and the Ruger GP-100.

.22 K-22, although the Colt Diamondback was nice.

Single action-- The New Model Blackhawk has always seemed just a touch too big to me for anything less than a warm .45 Colt.

For the .32 Mag the Ruger SSM is best for me.

.22-- I likt the little Colts better than the Ruger Single-Sixes.

Cap and Ball

The Walker is an experience that everyone should try at least once.

1860 Army is fun

I really like the 1851 and 61 Navies in the original .36 caliber. It just seems wrong to me to make them in .44, although that is how they came up with the 1860 by using the Navy frame and a rebated cylinder.

The little .31's are very economical to shoot.

Robert

HeavyMetal
01-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Don't think I can provide an answer here!

I own four revolvers, all DA, a O/U Derringer SA, A Contender and a lot more than 10 auto pistols!

Do I hate wheel guns? No just darned fussy about which ones I want! Same as auto pistols.

Being a lefty doesn't help I find most auto's much more user friendly, but I'll buy a 44 special BlackHawk as soon as one hits the store!

So to be fair I think I'll pass on this poll, but real curious as to how it turns out.

Old Grump
01-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Have both. like both but out of force of habit shoot single action most of the time. Accuracy trumps shooting fast.

LeMat
01-16-2010, 12:22 AM
I carry a big bore revolver for protection whilst in the woods. It has to be DA.

If I've got mama griz chewin' on my skull, the last thing I want to think about is having to cock that hammer. I'll be to busy wishin' I had packed that shotgun. ;)

I shoot all of my DA revolvers DA only. That's not to say that if I'm testing a new load for accuracy or making that way-off shot, I won't shoot it SA, because I will. But 99% of my shooting is DA.

That's why the DA came about. It simply impoved upon the revolver design. Giving one the ability to shoot faster.

And sure, lot's of folks can shoot them SA's pretty fast - I'd like to see them do it without using mousefart loads. There isn't a CAS shooter out there that can handle six 300gr. hardcasts going about 1200fps like he can six 110gr lead pills going about 400fps. But he will be able to shoot those big boys faster out of a DA revolver - and more accurately - than out of an SA.

That being said, I love SA's. After spending some years in CAS, I learned to shoot 'em pretty well - but from a self defense standpoint, I cannot get past the fact that a DA makes more sense (to me anyway).

chesterwin
01-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Having a toy box with both single actions and double. I refrain from voting. There are too many other things to be selective about. :drinks:

Captain*Kirk
01-16-2010, 12:31 AM
SA Revolvers, for sure!
I have a Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum, a .44 C&B 1858 Remington replica, .44 C&B 1860 Army replica, and a .36 C&B Navy replica. Guess I just watched too many westerns as a kid!

ktw
01-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Have equal numbers of both, but I'm going to have to say I prefer single actions. I'm afraid Lloyd Smale would drive over and smack me if I said anything else. ;-)

I really don't like the bulk of the large bore double actions. K Frames are fine.

I refuse to chase brass. My only auto is a 22lr.

If I ever buy another handgun it will be SA (USFA)

-ktw

Bullshop
01-16-2010, 01:20 AM
Dont listen to that Jr. fella you just might someday shoot a 44 mag double action when a bear is just a couple feet from biteing you. I do know this to be a true fact!
Just the same my druthers is for one that goes clickety click click when I jerk the hammer back.
BIC/BS

buck1
01-16-2010, 01:34 AM
I have swung back and forth a few times. I finallyrealized I cant choose! But I dont have to. I love em both !

dualsport
01-16-2010, 02:50 AM
I love 'em all, BUUUTTT, if it was just down to one, it'd be the M60 5 shot .357 with adjustable sights. I don't expect anybody to understand that choice, I'll just say versatility(hot .357 fmj will penetrate a bears head, very unlikely to ever happen for me), shoots ultralight .38s well, and is always there. It fits my tactical tactics.

Piedmont
01-16-2010, 03:10 AM
I like both, but have to say my greatest shooting pleasure is shooting a DA revolver in DA mode. This is usually with light loads for it to be pleasurable. There is just something to stroking that long trigger pull and hitting what you shoot at whether slow or fast.

geargnasher
01-16-2010, 03:13 AM
If I had to choose, I'd take one good example of each, I ain't no fool!

Gear

winelover
01-16-2010, 07:52 AM
DOUBLE ACTION! It's a no brainer. [smilie=p: Best of both worlds. You have the option to use it single action if you so desire. [smilie=1: I practice DA exclusively and find it easy to shoot accurately. It's all about CONSENTRATION. I, too, actually shoot my 44 Redhawk better double action.

Winelover:Fire:

Bret4207
01-16-2010, 08:38 AM
I am a double action man, tried and true. Smith DA's fit my hand better, have wonderful triggers, are more accurate than any SA Ruger that I have owned and shot (yeah, I know you have a really accurate Ruger SA but I haven't shot any yet) are just as rugged as any SA I've shot, are easier to work on for the most part and to me they just look like what a gun is supposed to look like. I can't DA a SA, but I can SA a DA. I can reload a DA far faster and easier than an SA. THe sights on my Smiths are far better than on my Rugers.

Everyone says the SA Army grip is a natural for hip shooting. BOSH I say! I trained with an L frame Smith for hip shooting and can still walk a can across the ground out at 50-75 feet or better. Most modern SA are heavy, clumsy beasts with too many sharp edges and tiny loading gates.

I just don't get a thrill from an SA. True, I also have ZERO use for the 475/500 mags in either DA or SA persuasion. But if I had to have one I'd still lean towards a DA.

You wanted an opinion, you got it. No offense to the tried and true SA crowd.

Lonerider
01-16-2010, 10:57 AM
I like the idea of the Double action, they just do not fit my hands very well. I am more accurate and comfortable with the SA, because how it feels and handles in my particuliar hands. I find the recoil much different with DA's than SA's. For me, the roll of the SA is easier and more pleasant, especially with stout loads. My 45-70 Bfr, really does not kick as much from the BFR with mid loads (400 grain @ 1200 fps) than a .44 300 grain @ 1200 fps. DA. Its a roll instead of a snap like from the DA. More in line of a shotgun vs High power bolt action.

Captain*Kirk
01-16-2010, 01:03 PM
I am a double action man, tried and true. Smith DA's fit my hand better, have wonderful triggers, are more accurate than any SA Ruger that I have owned and shot (yeah, I know you have a really accurate Ruger SA but I haven't shot any yet) are just as rugged as any SA I've shot, are easier to work on for the most part and to me they just look like what a gun is supposed to look like. I can't DA a SA, but I can SA a DA. I can reload a DA far faster and easier than an SA. THe sights on my Smiths are far better than on my Rugers.

Everyone says the SA Army grip is a natural for hip shooting. BOSH I say! I trained with an L frame Smith for hip shooting and can still walk a can across the ground out at 50-75 feet or better. Most modern SA are heavy, clumsy beasts with too many sharp edges and tiny loading gates.

I just don't get a thrill from an SA. True, I also have ZERO use for the 475/500 mags in either DA or SA persuasion. But if I had to have one I'd still lean towards a DA.

You wanted an opinion, you got it. No offense to the tried and true SA crowd.

No fault in what you posted, just your opinion! Personally, I agree with many of your points, but I don't shoot a SA for speed, reliability or any other factor beside mainly....romance. There, I said it! It's all about romance with history and the Old West, and Civil War era, which is why I own so many BP revolvers, I guess.
Plus, the Super Black Hawk fits my hand quite well and "rolls" quite unlike any nodern DA I've shot. It's a good fit. Probably not the best choice for defense, but that's not why I bought it.
Truth be known I wanted a sidearm for hiking the woods up north, where black bears are a-plenty and a 240 FN bullet is your ticket out. Yes, a DA would probably serve the purpose well, but face it; if you can't solve your problem with one shot, you probably won't need a second. Or, it won't help. Or both.
I probably watched too much Roy Rogers as a kid...

theperfessor
01-16-2010, 01:35 PM
I'll take a DA Smith or Ruger over any SA ever made. Got examples of both to use but my targets tell me that I do best with a good DA. The lousy grip shape of a SA is just entirely wrong for my hand. I've put Pachmyrs on my SAs and it helps some but better grips on my K and N frames and GP100 still give better control and results. And the idea of a gun "rolling in my hand" is totally against my mindset. I want the **** gun to stay anchored firmly in my hand at all times, whether it's pointing at the target or straight up in the air from recoil.

Won't argue ruggedness, don't think I'll shoot any of mine enough to wear one out. And I like autoloaders but the older I get and the more my knees hurt the less I enjoy shagging brass off the ground.

Dframe
01-16-2010, 01:43 PM
I like them both but spend far more time shooting double action revolvers.

Zim
01-16-2010, 03:39 PM
It is a personal preference like all things. You can specialize or be a generalist. They all go bang! ;)

monadnock#5
01-16-2010, 04:01 PM
I have about an equal number of DAs and autos. But no SAs. I can't tell you why exactly, only that when I go to a gun show or to a dealers shop, I spend no time whatever looking over the selection of SAs. There's no conscious effort to avoid them on my part, they just don't call out to me. The only time a pair caught my eye was at a gun show many years ago when I saw a matched pair in .45/70. WHOA!! They would have required gun belt suspenders.

At the range I warm up shooting SA, and when it feels right it's DA only. Good Stuff!

Ed K
01-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Being a lefty doesn't help I find most auto's much more user friendly, but I'll buy a 44 special BlackHawk as soon as one hits the store!

Wait 'till you discover how lefty-friendly a SA revolver can be! (tip from a fellow lefty)

wonderwolf
01-16-2010, 07:03 PM
I voted DA, I like having choices...Besides being able to shoot DA (which you do in competition) you can also choose to shoot single action. That and Smith & Wesson just does not seem to go along with the whole SA thing. For SA on a DA, Pulling the trigger and catching the hammer is usually what I do....

Jack Stanley
01-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Without a doubt the double action revolver is my favorite . It shoots better for me in the single action mode , the double action mode was easy enough for me to learn . Even with my odd choice of grips , hard nylon with finger grooves and pebble finish , the recoil doesn't bother me and I find it's easier to use than single action revolvers .

It's been a very long time since I needed to light off a full charge of 2400 in the double action mode with heavy slugs I would have to practice for that again . However the lighter Lee "cowboy" loads at a round a thousand feet per second I can still double action with the twenty-nine .

With all that going for the double action guns , I still LIKE the looks of some of the case hardened single action guns I see . I just don't care to shoot them much .

Jack

bearcove
01-16-2010, 09:23 PM
No vote. They all have a place and use. And all can be used for everything. This works for me because with the exception of the contender/encore system I only like standard size handguns. My 454 with a 7 1/2 inch barrel feels too big, 2"to 6" is nice. Favorites are Ruger BH 41 mag 4 5/8" bbl and S&W mountain revolver 4" bbl and a plain ol 1911.

Love them all!

badgeredd
01-16-2010, 09:39 PM
I have both in multiple examples, but honestly prefer a DA for just plain shooting as they seem to feel better in my hands. I like the SA revolver but maily for fun and have trouble taking one really seriously. I've always like my Smiths and will always have a few. Semis are ok too, but as others have said, I tire of chasing brass.

Edd

snake jenkins
01-16-2010, 09:45 PM
I grew up shooting Colt single actions and old model Rugers as well as Colt and Smith DA's but if I had to have just one type it would be teh old Model Ruger

Captain*Kirk
01-17-2010, 01:00 AM
And the idea of a gun "rolling in my hand" is totally against my mindset. I want the **** gun to stay anchored firmly in my hand at all times, whether it's pointing at the target or straight up in the air from recoil.
To clarify;
"roll" is defined (by me) as the smooth transaction of the firearm recoiling upwards and back without sucker-punching the web of your palm (between the thumb and forefinger), and not actually changing position in your grip, as it might sound. I've had several large caliber DA's with large Pachmeirs thump me pretty good...and my Blackhawk doesn't seem to do this even with full-throttle handloads.
Again, it's a matter of opinion....and nobody's wrong, IMHO. It's up to the individual shooter as to what "looks right" or "feels right"...and nobody else!
That being said, the DA Colt Pythons I've shot have the silkiest action I've ever experienced!

AKsoldier
01-17-2010, 10:48 AM
There's room in my heart (and my gun safe) for just about every type of gun. I like both SA and DA revolvers. I love the look of the colt peacemaker style the best though, and to produce one like that in DA would be criminal.

BBA
01-17-2010, 10:54 AM
I voted D/A. Out of all the Ruger's I've tinkered with in 44 or 45, I drop the same loads in a Dan Wesson, Taurus, or S&W and they seem to fly straight. On the flip side, my old model single six .22 is very accurate. I seem to get a more consistent grip on the D/A guns.

Charlie Sometimes
01-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Single-Action- specifically a RUGER. :bigsmyl2:
They can be fired faster than a semi-auto (with practice), are more reliable, and handle all ranges of loads. Slower reloading, but if I need more than 6 rounds, I'll carry two!
Double-Action would be second choice, but are usually heavier and bulkier, but faster to reload than a Single-Action, though. Nobody carries two of these.
Semi-Autos, well, I have ONE, but don't shoot it much. They throw the brass and I like to keep mine for reloading.

I choose Semi-Auto in a 22 rimfire, though- then single-action.

I think it's funny that most people will think nothing of carrying a heavier handgun, but struggle to find a lighter rifle to cut carry weight.

Snapping Twig
01-17-2010, 09:49 PM
S&W guy myself. Got some P&R, some modern, no IL/MIM guns and never will. Favor N frames but I have L as well. Smaller than that and I can't use 'em.

Single action Bisley - LOVE 'EM!

Got a FA Casull and some day I'll get a Linebaugh.

Zim
01-18-2010, 12:03 PM
I think it is a personal preference. What appeals to you and what do you practice with? I've gotten tired of chasing brass from autos. Especially in indoor ranges. Revolvers, you just drop the brass back into your bag.

The swing out cylinder was supposed to be a great improvement for loading. The break top enfield and webleys' were speed loaded in the trenches, but considered weaker than solid frame guns.

They all go boom and bring smiles to us.

machinisttx
01-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Distinct preference for S&W K frames.

azrednek
01-19-2010, 05:24 PM
I prefer revolvers over autos simply because I do not like chasing brass. My favorite handgun cartridges are 41 Mag and 45 ACP. Once I finally found a 45ACP revolver my 1911 has dealt with being lonely.

I really wish somebody made a big bore double action like the High Standard Double Nine. If you're not familiar with the Double Nine. It looks just like a western style single action but is actually a double action with a swing out cylinder.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/HSTD-A.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/HSTD-B.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/HSTD-2.jpg

357Mag
01-19-2010, 09:12 PM
S & W 4" "N" frames ( square butt )

I use them in .357Mag for concealed carry. Been doin' that for 35yr.
Pinned barrel, recessed chambers in cylinder.

Custom heavy 4" bbl helps control muzzle " flip ".

I like the DA trigger action on the "N" better than the bass-ackwards rotating seen w/ a Python.

.357Mag

Landric
01-20-2010, 12:29 AM
I have a bunch of DA revolvers and at the moment only one single action (a Ruger Super Single Six in .32 H&R). However, despite the huge numerical advantage DA revolvers have in my safe, I can't decide which I like better. I have several single actions on my to get list, along with more double actions. I shoot my DA revolvers almost exclusively DA, and I love a good DA trigger stroke, but SA revolvers are huge fun too. Luckily I don't have to decide.

TDC
01-20-2010, 04:48 PM
I guess it's "whatever turns your crank."

I prefer DA S&Ws for both hunting and self defense. I've been in several hunting situations where the need for rapid DA was necessary. I train using double action.

Bottom line is to use what you feel comfortable with and shoot well. We all need to be grateful we have so many choices and styles available, and do everything we can to help protect that freedom of ownership and choice.

BOOM BOOM
01-20-2010, 07:50 PM
HAVE BOTH, LOVE TO SHOOT BOTH.
I can shoot both kinds of revolvers better than I can shoot a semi.
To Bullshop jr.
I scored a 98% with a 44mag. on the PPC to Quilify to carry my 44 mag as an off duty gun. back in the days I was in law enforcement. So yes it can be done.

Sprue
01-20-2010, 08:11 PM
All of them as long as they're Smith, Ruger or Colt.

DLCTEX
01-20-2010, 08:12 PM
I should have read longer before I voted for single action, as I love both. Having said that, I rarely, if ever shoot double action. And I also love my automatics. Most fired is my 1911, second is Charter Bulldog in 38 Spc. , and the rest have been getting too much rest. Ruger OA, Mk.I, Colt 2nd. gen 1851 Navy, Taurus Raging Hornet and 480 Rug., and Heritage 22.:D

GabbyM
01-22-2010, 12:02 AM
I like swing out cylinders for dumping empties in a can all six at a time. Yep I'm lazy and that's all it takes to win me over.

Also enjoy shooting double action rapid fire. Have even used double action pull while hunting so as not to spook the game with the clickety click. Can't say it mattered but after the bang it was down.
Out to 25 yards I have to get out a tape measure to tell the difference in groups from DA vs SA.

sljacob
01-22-2010, 09:20 AM
just love the look and feel of a single action. too much of a traditionalist I guess
I own a 44mag and a45lc bolth rugar vacauro
i shoot the 45 almost every day

kgb
01-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Single actions for me, although my .22 Diamondback seems to shoot very straight DA.

bob208
01-26-2010, 09:14 PM
it does not matter. i have learned to shoot them all. when i go out carring it could be a sa, da or a sa auto as in hi-power or 1911. also carry a ruger black hawk or a ruger security-six.

Three44s
01-29-2010, 01:45 AM
My vote goes to the DA revolver.

Faster first shot

Faster reloads

Two modes of fire

The contention that you can't shoot a heavy revolver like a .44 mag is not correct. My Mountain Gun weighs a scant 39 oz. with a 4 inch barrel and I DA it regularily. My heavier guns get DA'ed as well.

Three 44s

Dframe
02-01-2010, 12:06 AM
My vote goes to the DA revolver.

Faster first shot

Faster reloads

Two modes of fire

The contention that you can't shoot a heavy revolver like a .44 mag is not correct. My Mountain Gun weighs a scant 39 oz. with a 4 inch barrel and I DA it regularily. My heavier guns get DA'ed as well.

Three 44s

I completely agree. The only 44 I've ever had any trouble with quick second shots is an old Charter arms Bulldog, because it's so light. But even that one can be mastered with a little practice. I shoot my "Bounty Hunter" (44 magnum 3 inch Barrel) almost exclusively DA.

iron brigade
02-02-2010, 10:46 AM
i like the DA revolver. older smiths. so smooth......
seem to fit the hand better.

RCarl
02-05-2010, 07:03 PM
My favorite - Smith and Wesson Model 686 Combat Masterpiece. Can shoot the stoutest .357's or down loaded .38 wadcutters. Usually shoot single action, some rapid DA.

edsmith
02-08-2010, 02:51 AM
single action, I have trouble with making dicisions, you know,should I cock and fire or pull and fire. :)

johnlaw484
02-08-2010, 03:08 AM
I like em both and for different reasons. The SA, (RUGER Blackhawk) for me anyway is more accurate. The DA (Smith 642 and Ruger Security Six) more adapt for personel defense or duty backup.

DevilDog83
02-10-2010, 12:58 PM
DA S&W 625,,,, USPSA/ ICORE/ IDPA gun,,, one revo does it all!!!!!!

02-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Had to vote "Can't decide". Like Quigley, didn't have much use for one 'til I had to carry one. For those who think a DA is slow... oh my, Ed McGivern's ghost is listening. Unreal 5 shots timed with accuracy! Comparing single actions to double actions is like apples to oranges. I guess the vicarious, anachronistic, student of history in me makes both the cap & ball and SAA types very appealing.

rbuck351
02-11-2010, 12:53 AM
I like all handguns but my favorite wheelgun is my Colt Officers Model 38Spl. Then a S&W K22 followed by 2 M28S&Ws. My alltime favorite would be a Colt Python if only I had one. To this point in time no one has shot a SA as fast and accurately as a DA. McGivern on many occasions shot 5shots into a playing card at 15ft in 2/5 of a second. He could consistantly hit 5 clay targets hand thrown in the air at the same time using a DA. I don't think anyone has ever done that with a SA. I am currently reading McGivern's book Fast And Fancy revolver shooting and it is a real eye opener. I have several of each type but I lean toward the DA revolver.

02-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Already voted as "Can't decide" :veryconfu. Here's pic of some of my favorites.

S&W K
Rem 1858
Colt SAA

SPRINGFIELDM141972
02-11-2010, 06:25 PM
I own at least one of each and shoot them all. I like them all. As stated before its a preference thing. Each has its situation where it shine above the rest.

For me; so long as it goes bang when its suppose to.

Everett

Bill*B
02-14-2010, 10:04 AM
I have shot and enjoyed all kinds of handguns - but nothing has been the same since I wrapped my fingers around "Big Ugly", my .480 Super RedHawk. It's a wonderful revolver. Bill.

MakeMineA10mm
02-16-2010, 09:53 AM
I like both, but I voted for Double-Action, because I have more of them, and they are my "go-to" revolvers for shooting at the range or taking in the field. Here's my latest acquisition:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=275&pictureid=1933

pistolman44
02-17-2010, 03:31 PM
I have been a gun collector for 20 years now and have a lot of both. But my favorite is a Dan Wesson SS 4" wih a muzzle break. I carry this when I go hiking loaded with 300gr gc boolits since we have had some bear activity lately. For street carrying is a Colt Defender 3" 45ACP lite weight.

Irascible
02-17-2010, 03:52 PM
I have and love both. My favorite gun is my S&W M27 6".
My favorite type of gun is a K frame Smith with the M19 (4" or 6") at the top. The reasons are the proportional looks and the ideal grip frame size. Yes, L frames have the same size grip, but don't have the classical "classy" look.

Artful
02-22-2010, 01:23 AM
I own and love both as well, but double action just seems to balance and shoot better
K-22, Dan Wesson 15-2, S&W 29 or 25-2 - yeah baby these are some of my favorite things.

Adam10mm
02-26-2010, 11:42 AM
I like 1911s more than wheel guns. I've had a few revolvers, the .32 H&R, 327 Federal, couple SP101 and GP in the 357 Mag. All double action, mostly for defense reasons. I just prefer semi autos to revolvers.

I will admit if I could own (and afford it) the one revolver that gets my heart pumping fast is a Freedom Arms .41 Magnum. But the .44 Special conversion on a GP100 does sound neat too.

I always entertained the opinion that double action was for defense and single action was for hunting, but a large caliber DA for hunting in bear country fell under "defense".

mnzrxer
02-26-2010, 11:59 PM
After seeing this poll posted I felt it was my duty to attempt to make an informed vote based on first hand ownership of both types. Since I have only owned SA revolvers up to this point I started a search for a DA. I was hours from buying a S&W M25 Mountain Gun when I found the local dealer had a Colt Diamondback in .38.

I now have a new favorite in the safe. The Colt has such a sweet trigger in both DA and SA. I thought my Vaquero trigger was pretty good before, now it feels like a sponge. I've only had a chance to send 100 handloads downrange with the Diamondback, but after shooting easy 2.5" DA groups at 20 ft as fast as I could and then dropping 4 steel plates at 50+ yards with 5 shots regularly I couldn't be happier. By the way I only shoot the Colt DA. With that smooth pull there is no need to use it SA.

I did vote undecided since I enjoy shooting both the Ruger and the Colt. I just have a feeling the Colt will get more of the attention in the future.

inuhbad
03-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Only reason why I like the Double Actions is because they load while swinging the Cylinder to the side, and they can still be fired single action if you so desire...

Fast reloads are ESSENTIAL in a modern handgun that you may someday be carrying in defense of your life or your family... As such, I need quick reloads!

Ruger SP101 for CCW... Alaskan 454 would be a DREAM to own someday for me!

I'm a big fan of the Webley & S&W Schofield as well.

Jon
03-03-2010, 10:32 AM
I like a DA with the SA option. That being said, I love my 1858 Remington BP gun. I just wish it wasn't so much of a pain to clean.

bbs70
03-03-2010, 11:22 AM
My favorites are Single Actions because:

They are tough.

They are uncomplicated.

They (mine at least ) are accurate.

They handle stout loads that would leave a double action with excess wear / broken parts.

They are faster for the first shot than any other type of handgun.

The plow handle grip is much more comfortable to shoot with full loads than any double action.

I'm a closet B-western cowboy. :bigsmyl2:

Jack
Exactly what Jack said.:drinks:

I simply love the SA, don't know exactly why except for growing up watching b-westerns.
SA looks so cool when sitting in a holster.
DA are fine, but the ones I've owned, I usually find myself automatically cocking the hammer each time I fired them, so I decided years ago to go with SA.
For self defense and for speed I'll use my Glock.
For the simple pleasure of shooting and accuracy I"ll stick with my Blackhawk and New Vaquero in 45 Colt.

03-03-2010, 03:35 PM
While I voted "Can't decide" a while back plus the fact that many of my S&Ws will shoot extremely well.... this group from the other day during a load test really conflicts my psychological balance. :veryconfu

1st Gen Colt SAA in 45 Colt. Light load of Trail Boss under 200 gr. soft cast PB bullet sized to .454. Full cylinder of 6 shots at 15 yds. POA is 6 o'clock hold, POI is 6 o'clock. :)

BarryinIN
03-08-2010, 06:17 PM
I have two answers.

I prefer automatics. I just shoot them better.
But I don't dislike revolvers.

So my other answer is:
Double action.

Who's this Guy ?
03-08-2010, 06:31 PM
I like SA's but prefer DA's because I have the 2 options. I do not like DAO revolvers but would not pass up a good buy if one came along. Most of my hunting and target shooting is done with a DA revolver in the SA mode. I also prefer auto cartridges in a revolver. Quick to load in a full moon clip however unloading empties can be a pain from the clip. You can have the same cartridge in a pistol and a revolver so maintaining an ammunition inventory is standardized. My favorite reason for rimless auto pistol cartridges in a revolver is that I'm a cheapskate and can pickup and reload range found empty brass.

Four Fingers of Death
03-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Centrefires: 15 SAs, 5 DAs, 2x SA Autos, 1x DA Auto. Looks like the SAs win. What do I like about them? BIG Shells and bores, great for BP, serious cool factor, simple, great to use with heavy loads, don't bite my big hands (I had a Bisley Blackhawk that used to chop me up badddddddddddd, but i ain't gonna fall for one of those again). Also it's cool to wear and shoot two at a time, now thats fun!

I'm also fond of the DA Smiths as I carried a Model 10 at work off and on for 22+ years. I have a Model 64 which shows llotsa holster wear, but is as sharp as the day it came out of the factory internally. It will be one of my favs when I de horn it.

Nostagia is a big part of it. Seeing lots of cowboy movies as a lad and shooting a gun like the one I used at work (never fired a shot in anger, but put a few ton of lead downrange preparing for it).

I just picked up a 1911 9mm so no doubt I will spend a bit of time chucking brass all over the range while I work out if I should move my 92FS on.

They are all fun, but those big a$$ed single actions are my fav!

Multigunner
03-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I'd almost put love both, but gave it further thought. In shooting qualities the Double Action guns are every bit as good as a single action, at least in medium power chamberings. In heavy recoil loadings the classic single action plow handle helps the hand absorb kick a bit better, than the double action saw handle.

If anything the single action is faster for the first shot out of the holster, for me at least (long thumbs come in handy), the DA faster in follow ups though not always as accurate when firing either as fast as possible.

I've run across a larger number of DA swing cylinder malfunctions than SA malfunctions. The DA is a bit more prone to wear, if materials are of equal quality.
The early DA revolvers are seldom found in good operating condition due to wear or bending of the smaller parts. Modern DA innards are more durable, but I'm most interested in pre WW2 DA revolvers, my favorite being a 1920 manufacture S&W with the long discontinued integral spring hammer block. An extremely slick action.

The vulnerable parts of a Colt style SA can be home made with the simplest hand tools, but DA internals are not so easy and straight forwards to replicate. Also as the old 1800's adverts pointed out a SA Colt can still be fired with quite a few parts missing all together.

The best modern SA Rugers have gotten around the limitations of 19th century technology, and their internals are extremely durable. Coil Springs may not be historically correct for an SA, but they make the modern SA far more reliable.

Earlier on the .44 Mag S&W had some reliability problems due to recoil causing the ejector rod to back out, I think they reversed the thread to cure this. Not something I'd want to happen if using the pistol against a charging bear.

The classic SA had occasional mainspring breakages ,due to a highly stressed flat spring.
But early DA also had these breakages, and many of the Best DA revolvers use a V or flat spring and though rare these can break if metal fatique sets in.

I suspect that whatever revolver one used when first introduced to pistol craft has a great effect on his latter choices.

H-Marlin
03-11-2010, 12:11 PM
A few years ago I took out a single action and a double action, both chambered in .44 Mag to finally decide which action type I liked better. After a half hour of shooting the same load in both guns I came to the conclusion that I just liked shooting and it did not matter at all which gun I had in my hand. Voted that I like them both.

Four Fingers of Death
03-12-2010, 08:25 AM
A few years ago I took out a single action and a double action, both chambered in .44 Mag to finally decide which action type I liked better. After a half hour of shooting the same load in both guns I came to the conclusion that I just liked shooting and it did not matter at all which gun I had in my hand. Voted that I like them both.

Well put! I love em' all. I love my M17s, my Springfield, my Swiss straightpull and my goofy French MAS and the Berthier. I love my 1949 Winchester 270 Win Model 70, my little Brno 22 and my crappy looking Savage 32/20 bolt rifle and my various lever guns. I mostly shoot Cowboy and tend to prefer the SAs, but my first centrefire handgun was my 586 and I really love that.

I'd have to own up to being the same, I just love shooting.

3006guns
03-12-2010, 09:26 AM
I voted double actions, mostly because I have quite a few S&W's dating from the turn of the century to now.....but that really isn't fair. Many years ago I owned a Ruger Blackhawk (in its original box..wish I still had it!) but I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn at 20 feet with it. Never did figure out why, so it went in a trade to a family member. I'm sure there are a lot of very accurate single actions but I just don't have any real experience with them. Judging by some of the targets posted on here, I'd sure hate to be on the receiving end!

By the way, one of the posts mentioned that you'd never shoot a .44 magnum double action.........that same family member I mentioned had a standard 25 yard pistol target on his wall for years with a six shot group you could cover with a fifty cent piece.......all double action from a S&W model 29. He's gone now and Lord how I miss him. Of course, he taught me to shoot also................

Tom W.
03-14-2010, 08:30 PM
I have some of all three, but the D.A. revolvers are easier on my elbow. Now my .454 is a S.A. encore pistol....and it recoils about like the SRH to me...

Four Fingers of Death
03-14-2010, 09:40 PM
I have some of all three, but the D.A. revolvers are easier on my elbow. Now my .454 is a S.A. encore pistol....and it recoils about like the SRH to me...

Maybe you should use smooth grips and let it slide through your hand like it's supposed to. Soaks up a whole lotta recoil that way and the hammer ends up right near your thumb, how neat is that? If you try and hold em still, they'll just slap you around, you can't fight Physics!

kelbro
03-14-2010, 10:02 PM
My new Bisley Blackhawk Hunter just bumped up my preference for SA. What a great shooter!

jmsj
03-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Hello All,
Got to thinking about it, had to go look, I've got an equal number of SA and DA. I like them all. But for the harder hunting loads I like the single actions better, only because it is easier for me to handle the recoil with the single action grips. The Bisley grip frame seems to work the best for me.
That said, I don't see me getting rid of ant of DA's anytime soon. jmsj

Tom W.
03-15-2010, 03:05 AM
Maybe you should use smooth grips and let it slide through your hand like it's supposed to. Soaks up a whole lotta recoil that way and the hammer ends up right near your thumb, how neat is that? If you try and hold em still, they'll just slap you around, you can't fight Physics!

It's the tendinitis.. the way the S/A torques is what does it. Before the elbow went south I had this sweet SBH with a rounded trigger guard and a fluted cylinder that would put the bullets almost in the same hole @ 50 yards with Iron sights. It wasn't anything to shoot 200 rounds of full power loads at a sitting. That last time I took it out plinking, I shot it maybe 15 rounds and had to stop. My .45 Colt BH , while not as accurate as my SBH, was still easier to shoot up until a few years ago. But I never had any complaints about the recoil or any pain in my elbow with the .454, .44 mag or the .480. I dunno why, except to say it's how the pistol and revolvers recoil. Same load, different feeling.

Four Fingers of Death
06-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Bad luck Tom, I've got a touch of tendinitus in the shoulder, I'm a bit leery about shooting my big guns at the moment. I have a new to me 338WM Ruger No1 (Tropical style) that I am itching to shoot, but am reluctant to until I get a bit better. My motorcycle is lingering in the driveway as well :(

bbailey7821
07-01-2010, 07:47 PM
I've had big N frames and a Dan Wesson... I always seem to come back to my FA83 in 454 and Ruger BH's and SBH's for their flawless operation and ruggedness. My current favorite is a 3 screw BH in 30 Carbine with a 4x scope.

AzShooter
07-02-2010, 06:13 PM
I only shoot double action, even when developing my loads. Single action would probably give me better groups but I shoot USPSA and ICORE revolver matches where speed counts and we all shoot double action.

Most of my guns have the hammer spur cut off so it doesn't interfear with the web of my hand during shooting. I use a very high grip.

I really need to shoot single action to get the best groups from my revolvers.

Four Fingers of Death
07-02-2010, 09:06 PM
My current favorite is a 3 screw BH in 30 Carbine with a 4x scope.

"And a top quality set of ear plugs!" :D

NickSS
07-03-2010, 03:53 AM
Well i like both and if you count numbers SAs win but over half of them are cap and ball revolvers of one sort or another. I just love them and carry one a lot when I am out and about. My next most carried revolver is a Ruger 6 inch stainless Security Six. That the revolver I carry when I am hunting for backup as well as to shoot small game with. I usually carry it with 38 spl loads using SWC cast bullets of around 150 gr. Fpr cowboy action I use a pair of Ubertis in 45 colt. As I just can't see how a real cowboy would shoot pipsqueak loads, They are generally loaded with 35 gr of FFG and a 250 gr LFP slug. This produces 865 fps from my 5.5" revolvers. I don't win much but the targets all get hit and everyone knows it when my gun goes off.

Four Fingers of Death
07-03-2010, 09:54 PM
As I just can't see how a real cowboy would shoot pipsqueak loads

I like Dick Darstardly's (Dick Rhody who markets Big Lube Bullets, etc) 'Big Lube Rule of Thumb.' This involves putting enough BP into the case so that you can push the bullet down on the powder using thumb pressure until it stops with the mouth of the case and the crimping groove lined up! How good is that?

jeff423
07-06-2010, 11:03 PM
DA's, although I only shoot them SA. I sold my Freedom Arms and Black Hawk and have gone back to Smiths and Colts. The SA's were too heavy and a pain to load and eject. Neither one was as smooth as an Officer's Model Match or Python. Although I will admit that they are not nearly as strong as the FA and Black Hawk. But I only shoot paper with them.

Jeff

white eagle
07-07-2010, 10:01 AM
I have both and must confess to liking the s/a way better feels more solid although it probably isn't

twildman
07-08-2010, 03:21 AM
I have both and must confess to liking the s/a way better feels more solid although it probably isn't

Yep, the single actions give the impression of being so monolithic, but it is probably all in our heads...

Oyeboten
07-08-2010, 05:42 AM
Which type of revolvers are your favorites? Feel free to post why.

Love them both the same, and love their ways of being different.

Happy to carry either one, happy to Plink with either one.

If I was facing a bad situation with enough multiple BGs and gunplay, I might appreciate the ease of re-loading with a Hand Ejector Model I suppose, if I lasted long enough to luxuriate in the advantages of that feature/amenity.

But then too, I might appreciate had I elected to have a nice Colt M1911 with me, and a few extra Charged Magazines, for that matter.

Otherwise, mox nix to me.

Both, or all three, have their advantages, charms, allure, and logistical merits, respectively.

OBIII
07-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I like all kinds, but I am somewhat partial to 7-1/2" Rugers. I have a Super Blackhawk in .44, and a Blackhawk convertible, .45 colt and .45 acp. SA, and they are tack drivers.

excavman
07-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Since I seldom use the 'double' action function when I do have the choice I prefer single action. They're a lot more accurate, for me anyway.

Larry

RayinNH
07-17-2010, 08:58 PM
I stated early on my preference for single actions. Another reason just occurred to me is that I find them much easier to clean. Just pull the cylinder pin, remove and go to town. Easy access to the barrel and cylinder window.

The two double actions I own, Rugers, a Redhawk and Service Six, while the cylinders do come out, it's a PITA to remove them. A lot of the difficulty on my part may have to do with my being left handed...Ray

trapper9260
07-20-2010, 04:15 PM
I take the both of them .It depends on what I will use it for at the time.For trapping I like the SA and for hunting the DA. The SA for trapping is because I do not have to load the whole gun to shot one shot.

Four Fingers of Death
07-21-2010, 08:30 PM
This is weird, this thread comes up every day on my subscribed list whether there has been a new post or not.

Combat Diver
07-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Like them all. I'll shoot anything from .177 air rifle to 155mm howitzers! Life is too short to limit myself.

Changeling
07-24-2010, 03:29 PM
I just opened the revolver poll and clicked on "Single Action", just before it went I saw the checked box had switched to "double Action". NO, I wasn't seeing things, it happened, what gives?:confused:

MakeMineA10mm
08-04-2010, 10:42 PM
This is weird, this thread comes up every day on my subscribed list whether there has been a new post or not.

Mick,
When someone votes on the poll, even if they don't post a msg in the thread, the thread shows like there's new posts...

Dutchman
08-05-2010, 03:49 AM

Ha ha ha.. Yes you can and yes I have. And not one, but TWO Model 29 double action from the hip rapid fire at the same time with full power Federal 180 gr HP factory loads.

Holy wrist rippin' batman!

Never say never. There's always some idiot who's done it. More than once.

I did own a Super Blackhawk at one time. Liked it. Thought it was a big honkin' revolver and very suitable for .44 Magnum. But really my true love are N frame Smiths.

Dutch -----> Ed McGivern & Elmer Keith = my heros

Dutchman
08-05-2010, 03:54 AM
Since I seldom use the 'double' action function when I do have the choice I prefer single action. They're a lot more accurate, for me anyway.

Larry

Me, too, in the beginning.. But then I got McGivern's book and started practicing doing the "can dance".. walking the tin can with a double action .38 close range from the hip. It's a good thing I have a Dillon press. It took a lot of practice and adjust the brain and hand in the right incline to bounce cans at 10 feet and 20 feet and 30 feet consistently. It impresses the **** out of witnesses:). The S&W Model 66 4" barrel was the primary culprit back then.

If you carry a d/a revolver CCW you better practice d/a shooting up close and from the hip. My Brazilian Navy 1937 2nd Model H.E. .45 AutoRim is one ****** revolver for this.

Dutch

Four Fingers of Death
08-05-2010, 04:26 AM
Me, too, in the beginning.. But then I got McGivern's book and started practicing doing the "can dance".. walking the tin can with a double action .38 close range from the hip. It's a good thing I have a Dillon press. It took a lot of practice and adjust the brain and hand in the right incline to bounce cans at 10 feet and 20 feet and 30 feet consistently. It impresses the **** out of witnesses:). The S&W Model 66 4" barrel was the primary culprit back then.

If you carry a d/a revolver CCW you better practice d/a shooting up close and from the hip. My Brazilian Navy 1937 2nd Model H.E. .45 AutoRim is one ****** revolver for this.

Dutch

I'm retired now, but when I was working and carrying a Model 10 when necessary, I never used single action on a double action revolver. I didn't want to get into any bad habits. I use single action for my bullseye gun, but in a two handed grip I only ever used DA. I didn't want to be on single action when the balooon went up and shoot someone with a too light SA trigger pull while I was shaking like a dog pooping peach pits. The Smiths are the only DA revolver I have used and they were easy to get into a smooth reliable DA rythm.

Most of my shooting nowadays is my 44/40 Colt Clones.

Grapeshot
08-06-2010, 01:30 PM
I shoot SAA's more often in CAS than I shoot DA revolvers. However, I have a S&W M625 in .45ACP/AR, a Colt Anaconda in .45 Colt and a Colt New Service M1909 in .45 Colt.

The S&W is my favorite as it will handle any bullet from 185 gr to 260 gr in either the ACP or AR case.

The Colt Anaconda is my Heavy Load gun. 230 to 275 with a stiff charge of AA #9 or Aliant's 2400 with either cast or jacketed.

The 1909 New Service is my Historical piece for use with cast or plated bullets in the 230 - 250 grain range and a standard SAA loading so as not to stress this 100 year old gun any more than I have to.

easyrider604
08-11-2010, 11:38 AM
While I like the romance and nostalgia of single action, the speed and ease of reloading double actions can't be beat. I find that cocking the hammer a slow process too, so I hardly ever shoot my DA revolvers in SA.

I sold my only SA, a NMBH 357 early this year to make way room for another DA.

Shooter6br
08-11-2010, 11:42 AM
My Smith 657 6in is a great gun.Great trigger aways accurate. Bit heavy to carry at 58 oz. Also love Ruger single action Love my SS 22rf /22mag.On the carry side my Ruger SP101 in 32 mag is sweet with 3 1/4 barrel. Down dirty self defence is my Sig 250c in 45 ACP