PDA

View Full Version : Common boolit diameter for S&W 460?

AKsoldier
01-15-2010, 01:13 AM
I thought I'd ask the folks here who shoot the S&W 460: Are they pretty consistent when it comes to cylinder and chamber diameter? I've got a 460V on order and I'm wondering if I should go ahead and order some boolits, or whether if it would be better to wait until I have it to mic. Most of what I've found online about them suggests a .451 or .452 boolit. What do ya'll think?

stubshaft
01-15-2010, 01:48 AM
I'd hold off and wait. That way you have a better chance of getting a good and proper boolit fit.

buckeye
01-16-2010, 12:55 PM
I have a new 460V that doesnt shoot well. The cylinder throats are too tight to push a sized .452 bullet through.One of the cylinders is out of allignment.Can't decide whether to send back to Smith or take to a good gunsmith.I'm afraid Smith will just tell me that it's within tolerance.Have a Ruger .454 that is about perfect.Am really unhappy with my Smith.

Changeling
01-16-2010, 03:27 PM
I have a new 460V that doesnt shoot well. The cylinder throats are too tight to push a sized .452 bullet through.One of the cylinders is out of allignment.Can't decide whether to send back to Smith or take to a good gunsmith.I'm afraid Smith will just tell me that it's within tolerance.Have a Ruger .454 that is about perfect.Am really unhappy with my Smith.

Having one cylinder completely out of alignment would seem to be something you can't readily fix.
I would certainly call them and explain everything that is wrong especially since it is brand new.
If the phone call doesn't get you anywhere just tell customer service if there is no action to fix, you will write a letter to there boss with copies to all of the major hunting magazines regarding there comments on fixing your "NEW" revolver purchase. If not, return it for a refund if you can. My opinion.

AKsoldier
01-17-2010, 01:37 AM
I'd hold off and wait. That way you have a better chance of getting a good and proper boolit fit.

That's what I've decided to do - That will help me decide which molds to get so I can cast my own boolits too.