PDA

View Full Version : what ammo shortage?

BigBlack
01-14-2010, 09:40 PM
my 9mm is fed a diet of free wheel weights

http://www.treeclimber.com/reloads/1000-9mm.jpg

beagle
01-15-2010, 12:15 AM
I know. I keep a minum of a thousand 9mms loaded as I have three mouths to feed. Back when stuff was flowing, people laughed at us for loading 9mm and saving brass for reloading. They said it was too cheap to reload and we were out of our minds.

Now...they're not shooting and we are./beagle

Shiloh
01-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Yeah.

In the "Glory Days" 9mm was cheap and plentiful. No more.

LIke you, I'm still shooting. Used to pick up a mountain of brass after the police used the range.
They don't shoot as much and they police up there own brass.

Shiloh

jdgabbard
01-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Haha.

Back when the "crisis" started, I decided to go out to the range with a friend of mine. When we got out to the range, we start breaking out our range bags and walk up to the club house. After we sign in we walk out to the firing line. There were maybe 7 guys there. I broke out the Smith, the .380 and the 9mm. After a few moments I reach into the the second range bag and pull out three .30cal ammo cans. Pop the lids off and sit them on the bench next to our firing position. The guys that were there shooting had one or two boxes a piece and you could tell that they were in shock and awe at the fact I had a plethora of ammo to shoot.

After a times shooting I had one actually come over to see what I was shooting, as he noticed the slight amount of smoke coming from my lube. I explained to him that I boolit cast, and that I kept a good stock of ammo on hand. He asked if he could shoot a few rounds out of my smith. I kindly handed him a handful and let him wrap his beaters around my smith to give it a few shots. The next time I saw him he had gone and ordered a case of Meister commercial cast boolits. He wasn't real pleased with them tho...

jimb16
01-15-2010, 08:17 PM
The main reason I cast and reload is becuse I own quite a few milsurps, both rifles and pistols. Over the years, I've found that sooner or later the surplus ammo either dries up or becomes expensive. At that point I can buy the old guns CHEAP because noone can afford to feed them or they just can't find the ammo. And I love those old warhorses.

Shiloh
01-15-2010, 09:28 PM
The main reason I cast and reload is becuse I own quite a few milsurps, both rifles and pistols. And I love those old warhorses.

The beauty of casting for military relics is that you can tailor boolit sizes to fit throats and bores. Military relics are very popular with the casters and shooters on this board.

SHiloh

Bullshop Junior
01-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Haha.

Back when the "crisis" started, I decided to go out to the range with a friend of mine. When we got out to the range, we start breaking out our range bags and walk up to the club house. After we sign in we walk out to the firing line. There were maybe 7 guys there. I broke out the Smith, the .380 and the 9mm. After a few moments I reach into the the second range bag and pull out three .30cal ammo cans. Pop the lids off and sit them on the bench next to our firing position. The guys that were there shooting had one or two boxes a piece and you could tell that they were in shock and awe at the fact I had a plethora of ammo to shoot.

After a times shooting I had one actually come over to see what I was shooting, as he noticed the slight amount of smoke coming from my lube. I explained to him that I boolit cast, and that I kept a good stock of ammo on hand. He asked if he could shoot a few rounds out of my smith. I kindly handed him a handful and let him wrap his beaters around my smith to give it a few shots. The next time I saw him he had gone and ordered a case of Meister commercial cast boolits. He wasn't real pleased with them tho...
:lol:

beagle
01-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Don't laugh. We have to edumcate the nonbeleivers some way and that's as good as any./beagle

9.3X62AL
01-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Buckshot has written about this previously--how not so many years ago, he spoke with another varmint hunter while we were afield about boolit casting. I was working over some rats at the time with the 243 and RCBS 95 grainers @ 1700 FPS or so. Buckshot said the guy's expression looked like Rick was discussing quadratic equations and the time-space continuum.

I have slowed the shooting rate a bit since The Great ObamaNation Primer Scare Of 2009 took hold, since getting below the 2,000 count of any primer type gives me Ignition Anxiety Effect. This last condition was brought on by a former significant other who fancied British cars.......but I digress.

Trey45
01-16-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't get my WW for free so I can't even begin to compare stories here, but!
There's always a but.
A couple years ago a gunshop had a bunch of D&J lead and Berrys plated bullets for sale, at 11 bux per 500. This was stuff they had sitting on a shelf in a backroom somewhere and brought it out and just left the old price tags on it. I bought all they had in 40 caliber. I have 2 boxes of the D&J and about a half box of berrys left. The rest is loaded and sitting in 7.62 ammo cans under my loading bench. I have no idea how much is there, I know it's over 3k of the berrys, and who knows how many d&j.
The funny thing is, I hardly ever shoot 40SW anymore. I shoot more 45 Colt, and 44 mag than anything, and I don't have that much in brass, much less in loaded cartridges!

FISH4BUGS
01-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Since I shoot submachine guns (380, 9mm and 45) I have cast and reloaded for some time. I typically will load 1000 minimum, more like 2000 of a specific load when I set up for it on my Dillon 550.
I ususally have four or five 50 cal ammo cans full at any time. I have some 2500 lbs of wheel weights now. I am used to buying in lots of 16lbs of powder, 10,000 primers and all the brass you want.
I bought 9mm in bulk (10,000 at a time) when you couldn't give them away. I think I last paid $100 delivered for 10,000 9mm brass.
I scrounge lead and brass everywhere I go. There will never be enough.
It is nothing that thousands of dollars of therapy wouldn't fix.

AZPaul
01-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Wallyworld has .9mm for $9.40 a box. Not to bad a price.

XWrench3
01-17-2010, 08:56 AM
i am not having an ammo crisis, but primers, is another story. if i had know it was going to be like this, i would have stockpiled up 20k of each of them when they were available, and reasonably priced!