PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever have Cylinder and Slide work on a gun?

lakota
01-14-2010, 02:17 PM
I am seriously considering sending them my Ruger SP101 .357 Mag to have a S&W J frame rear and front sight installed.

I really like my SP101 and I think it would greatly enhance it's function to have a rear sight as opposed to the notch in the frame.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with Cylinder and Slide good or bad?

I also live about an hour and a half from Andy Horvath and I will also call him to discuss this project.

dubber123
01-14-2010, 02:47 PM
No work done, but I have never heard a negative comment made about them.

Harry O
01-14-2010, 09:26 PM
I live about 30 miles from them. I have heard semi-auto shooters talk good things about them.

However, I had them rechamber a S&W NewModel 16 from .32 Mag to 32-20. I took the gun up to them and they gave me a price. They later called back and said they wanted $50 more. I paid. I was not happy with the work. One chamber was so tight that I could not chamber factory loads. The other 5 were snug. C&S "reworked" it, but it did not change anything. I marked the chamber and loaded only 5 for several years.

Eventually, I talked with a different gunsmith who had a brand new 32-20 finish reamer. He ran it through all six holes and they are perfect now. He suggested that the 32-20 reamer they used might have been resharpened a few times and a little undersized. Whatever. I know that it works great now.

Later, I tried to get them to ream out a .357 Mag SA cylinder to 0.410"ID chambers. They called back later and wanted $100 more. I refused.

Harry O
01-14-2010, 09:28 PM
P.S. The second incident was about 10 years ago and I have never been back since.