PDA

View Full Version : Shooting soft lead question?

Fugowii
01-14-2010, 01:23 PM
I've suspected my smelting prowess leaves a lot to be desired. I'm afraid I literally
tossed the baby out with the bath water so to speak. My WW ingots are about a
9.5-10.0 hardness, just about what my sticky WW hardness is. Yes, I have re-read
and corrected my idiocy with respect to fluxing, smelting, etc. so there is no need to
admonish me at this time. Even though I understand more clearly the process that
doesn't help me with the three to four hundred or so pounds of this stuff I have
already processed.

Since I probably tossed out all the good stuff in my smelt and I am stuck with soft
lead, is this hard enough to shoot without adding in a lot of expensive lino to harden it
up? If so, what parameters do you feel are necessary that I have to be very careful
with if I shoot this stuff? The last thing I want to do is spend the summer de-leading
my shooting irons.

Thanks...

powderburnerr
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
kinda depends on what you want to shoot it in , moderate velocities and light loads it just may work fine ,
it will also harden up in a month or so , or you could water drop and harden ..it is still good stuff....Dean

bearmn56
01-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Soft lead works fine for low velocity loads. I have also found that double tumble lubing soft lead with LEE tumble lube can give you a few more feet per second. I have some hunting loads for my .44 Mag using the 310 gr GC bullet out of the LEE mould that are dead soft lead. I load these full bore. They are double tumble lubed in addition to the lube in the grooves. I can shoot one full cylinder out of my Super Redhawk, 6 shots, with minimal leading.. the bullets fired into most any medium will flatten like washers. Also, your lead would probably work well in most muzzle loaders, especially in a m/l revolver. Your lead can also be used for paper patched bullets.
Bearmn56
Montana Territory

pdawg_shooter
01-14-2010, 02:39 PM
I have taken 98% pure lead, 2% tin up to 2200/2250fps in my rifles by paper patching. Great hunting bullet.

cbrick
01-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Depends entirely on what your using it for and you didn't say so the question can't be answered.

Many of the handgun cartridges such as the 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 38 etc should work well with your alloy. High end magnum loads . . . probably not. I shoot my 30-30 and 308 to 2000 fps with air cooled WW with zero leading and good accuracy.

Boolit fit in the firearm is far more important than is alloy BHN. Too hard is probably the cause of more leading that is too soft so the bottom line is simply . . . try it, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Rick

fredj338
01-14-2010, 04:07 PM
I shoot a lot of 50/50 lead & ww mix, about 9BHN, in the 45acp & loads around 1000fps. Little leading issues, good accuracy. I use Lar's BAC or Carnuba.

Shiloh
01-14-2010, 04:24 PM
Do they fit your fit your firearm??

If so, you can probably run pistol to 1200 or a bit more. I have some soft rifle boolits that don't lead at 1800+

Shiloh

Fugowii
01-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks to all who replied. I think I will use it mostly in my .45's and if I go to use it
in any of my magnums I will harden it up. I have some lino but I am hesitant to use
it for general range fodder unless necessary. I also have a couple of magnum GC molds
but haven't ever used these since I haven't gotten around to that aspect of this hobby
just yet. That intrigues me if I can use this lead with GC's in my magnums. Can you
apply GC's with a Star? Do you just put it on the base prior to running the boolit into
the sizing die?

Thanks again,

F

Fugowii
01-14-2010, 05:28 PM
I shoot a lot of 50/50 lead & ww mix, about 9BHN, in the 45acp & loads around 1000fps. Little leading issues, good accuracy. I use Lar's BAC or Carnuba.

What are you using for powder? I'm lubing with Magma lube which I understand is
similar to Carnumba.

Fugowii
01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Do they fit your fit your firearm??

If so, you can probably run pistol to 1200 or a bit more. I have some soft rifle boolits that don't lead at 1800+

Shiloh

They should. I have shot this size boolit from commercial sellers with no problem but
they are running a bit harder than what I have.

gray wolf
01-14-2010, 06:17 PM
I would say that for your 45 ACP at range Vel. of lets say 750 to 830 or so for 200 grain WC
and 750 to 800 for a 230 LRN you may be ok. You may also try water dropping some.
I doubt you took all the good stuf out and they may harden up for you if you still need it.
Or a little tin back in could help.

GW.

fredj338
01-14-2010, 08:43 PM
What are you using for powder? I'm lubing with Magma lube which I understand is
similar to Carnumba.
Actually the Magma lube is harder, I doubt there is any BW in it. Carnuba will flow w/ about 95deg of heat, the Magma needs about 120deg. My fav 45acp powder is WST. Burns clean, super accurate & lower recoil at the same vel as some other powders.

Can you apply GC's with a Star? Do you just put it on the base prior to running the boolit into
the sizing die?
That is what I do, put the GC on, & size it nose down.