PDA

View Full Version : Need some conicals for ROA

Geraldo
01-14-2010, 12:42 PM
I posted on "wanted to buy" but got no replies, so I'll post here. I've got a Ruger Old Army and I'd like to try a few conicals before buying a mold. Can anybody sell me 50 or so?

Willbird
01-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Honestly dude, buy the mold :-). The shipping on the bullets is what....half of what the mold costs ?? The mold will be $25 shipped from Graf's. Lee's conical is all I shot from my old army for years....I never had a RB mold. I shot them from pure lead, from lino, and from WW, and despite howls of protest from the "natural lubes only with BP" corwd I lubed them with 50-50 alox in my dads lube sizer and shot the hell out of the gun....as many as 100 rounds a day with no issues.

Bill

Geraldo
01-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the advice, dude.

Springfield
01-14-2010, 05:54 PM
You can try these 210 grainers, they were designed for ROA's, and they hold plenty of lube. They also have a rebated base to make them easier to start straight into the cylinder.They can be bought from www.whyteleatherworks.com, look under accessories.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c262/mwhyte123/DD--ROAConical.jpg

tonyb
01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Dude's lol

dualsport
01-14-2010, 06:09 PM
I'll sell ya 50 for $15, shipped. How's that? I'll need a few days to get them made. You will like them, and then you'll want the mold. Your choice. It's true about the ROA being able to digest about anything well, I have two.

R.M.
01-15-2010, 02:21 AM
I'd take dualsport up on his offer because I've had dismal results through both of my ROAs with the Lee bullet. Round balls seem to work so much better for me.

dualsport
01-15-2010, 05:11 AM
RM, just a thought, maybe your mold is a lemon? Anyway, I read your avatar and had to ask, does that mean high on a mountain... or high on a mountain?!

R.M.
01-15-2010, 12:20 PM
:bigsmyl2: Well, at 9,000' the air is a bit thin, and can make a person a bit light-headed. Guess you could call that a high also. [smilie=s:

Willbird
01-15-2010, 12:49 PM
There was an article in an old Handloaders Digest I think it was that told about using jacketed bullets in a ROA. My gun loaded with all the fffg I could get in there, and the Lee conicals cast of whatever and lubed with 50-50 let me nail ALL the beer cans filled with water we used to shoot at from 50 yards out. Pissed off the guys with their 357's and 44's that they got to hit so few :-).

They would drink the beer, we would fill the cans with water and set them on an old building foundation 50 yards out, then set down with our backs against the house and rest the guns over our knees.

Bill

Flinchrock
01-22-2010, 08:26 PM
There was an article in an old Handloaders Digest I think it was that told about using jacketed bullets in a ROA. My gun loaded with all the fffg I could get in there, and the Lee conicals cast of whatever and lubed with 50-50 let me nail ALL the beer cans filled with water we used to shoot at from 50 yards out. Pissed off the guys with their 357's and 44's that they got to hit so few :-).

They would drink the beer, we would fill the cans with water and set them on an old building foundation 50 yards out, then set down with our backs against the house and rest the guns over our knees.

Bill

Group tightener!!!:drinks: