PDA

View Full Version : Brian Pearce in Handloader

44man
01-14-2010, 11:54 AM
I just received my Handloader and Brian has finally put it all on the line. It would be the best read for all shooters of revolvers. He mirrors all of my testing and it is now all together.
However he does not go far enough past jacketed bullets into cast. His suggestion to reduce case tension for cast is a little off. My suggestion is to harden the boolit instead and maintain the neck tension.
He says the right thing about loading dies and how some are better off in the scrap pile although I make other things with them. What he says about crimp dies is perfect.
Be sure to read the article.
Then I read what our Mike wrote and I am very pleased, great job.
Handloader might just come back and I did not put it down until I read every page.

EMC45
01-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Handloader is the only one I read anymore myself.

Dale53
01-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Brian Pearce is a good author and has lots of knowledge about shooting cast bullets in revolvers. He is excellent about transferring that knowledge, also. I use his data with confidence. It doesn't hurt that many of our preferences coincide, either:mrgreen:.

Handloader Magazine is AGAIN well worth the money.

Dale53

9.3X62AL
01-14-2010, 01:08 PM
I let my subscription lapse a few years ago, but find myself buying "Handloader" at Barnes & Noble on trips back to The Big City. I should probably renew the 'scrip, it has been quite good for the last several issues.

sargenv
01-14-2010, 03:22 PM
I too usedto subscribe but the articles kind of lost my interest years ago.. I too many re-up if it appears that they are worth it again.

Dale53
01-14-2010, 04:52 PM
May I make a suggestion?
Some time ago, tired of trying to store magazines, I decided to try the electronic subscription. You get all three of the Wolfe publications (Handloader, Rifle, and Hunter) for the price of one. I have come to MUCH prefer this.

Hard drive storage is cheap these days. An external hard drive may be the perfect way to store these magazines if you don't want them on your regular hard drive. You can get nice, physically small Portable drives (some are quite high capacity). They are easy to handle (as are the large externals) and you don't interfere with your regular drive (if that bothers you).

As the man says, "It's works for me"!

FWIW
Dale53

P.S. When you download the e-magazine, save it, then navigate using "Page" to do so. Make it MUCH easier to get around. rdm

cbrick
01-14-2010, 07:20 PM
I agree that Handloader had seemed to go downhill for a spell but it is the only mag I read, well, I skim over the Rifleman a bit.

For those that are missing past issues you can buy direct from Wolfe 1 year (6 issues) on DVD for $20.00. I have every issue from #1 through Dec 09, (#263 I think) on both DVD and installed on the puter, 57 gig total so if you don't have a large hard drive an external is a great suggestion. I have every paper issue through the late 90's (when I kinda lost interest) and some scattered paper issues since then.

Collectively Handloader magazines are the single most indepth, wide scope handloading book ever written. Now if they would only update the Master Index, the last one I'm aware of is 1966 through 1996, been a few issues since then.

Rick

Gee_Wizz01
01-14-2010, 07:35 PM
+1 On the "Electronic Subscription" I tried it out last January and I will renew again. I also use an external hard drive. I picked up a 250gb at Wally World for $69 last year, and they are cheaper this year. Save all of the reloading articles off the internet on my external drive also.
G

Frank
01-14-2010, 08:16 PM
44man said
I just received my Handloader and Brian has finally put it all on the line. It would be the best read for all shooters of revolvers. He mirrors all of my testing and it is now all together.
Sounds like it might have something there. I'll take a second look for that article. :coffee:

Keith DVM
01-14-2010, 09:13 PM
What was the volume number and month of this issue of Handloader

Frank
01-14-2010, 11:52 PM
February-March issue.

Yeah, that was a pretty good article. He talked about the uselessness of a chonograph, need for good neck tension for revolvers and semi's, the importance of dies and the right size expander. Bullets, he said, need alot of tension. His recommendation was .006" for most calibers. But as you said, when talking about cast bullets it went the other way. He mentioned "soft" bullets, wadcutters and using less tension .002" in that context. So I guess where he left it, the heavy tension is reserved for condum bullets.