PDA

View Full Version : Order placed for my casting setup

Ken TN
01-14-2010, 04:40 AM
I placed a Birthday order with Midway this week for a Lee 4-20 pot, skimmer, ingot mold, flux, Lee hardness tester, and a RCBS Thermometer.

Looks like I'm now truly committed to casting or maybe I should just be committed!

It has been a long wait as I have 4 of the Ranch Dog molds waiting to be heated up. I have 2 of the 45-70's, a 444 and a 357. Wish I could have gotten all of his designs but just caught him to late. I sure would have loved one of the 432/350 test molds... Oh well NOE to the rescue! I'll be joining in group buys soon I'm sure.

I still need a 460 sizer from Buckshot to finish out the molds I have now.

I have a friend that shoots 45-70 that said he has a ton of lead the we can cast.
Now I'm not sure if it is actually a ton but it will be a start. I understand it is a collection of wheel weights and some pure lead.
I'm also going to hit a local indoor range to see about some range lead.

I'm sure I'll be asking many questions in the next few weeks as we start up the process. I have the Welders jacket and gloves to help keep me warm in this cold weather. I'm thanking Mr Gore for Global Warming as I would hate to think how cold this record low could have been with out it:-P
Ken TN

Leadforbrains
01-14-2010, 05:58 AM
:drinks:
Congratulations!
You will be happy with your new hobby.

XWrench3
01-14-2010, 08:57 AM
this can be frustrating at first, but after a bit of tinkering and experimentation, you will find it a nice fulfilling hooby. plus you will save a ton of cash, which you can put to good use buying primers and powder! LOL! anyway, welcome to the club. when you get your stuff, and start haveing trouble (and you will), just be sure to post your questions, and they will be answered. these guys have helped me a ton, and all of us here will do our best to get you on the right track.

Shiloh
01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Great more pressure on a dwindling supply of Wheel Weights :kidding:

I always take advantage of Midway's birthday sale. You get one order at special birthday prices. A great deal.

Welcome to the hobby.

Shiloh

Slow Elk 45/70
01-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Good for you, welcome to the disease of casting.....it only gets worse, but it sure is fun and gives one some sense of accomplishment , along with frustration at times , but there is a ton of knowledge here on this site and lots of helpful folks . Good Luck

PBKing
01-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Happy Birthday and Congrats on your new set up.

Ken TN
01-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Thanks for all the support.

Speaking of Wheel Weights did I mention the fact that I have worked in and around auto shops for over 30 years and never collected a supply of wheel weights. Oh if I could just back up about 15-20 years.... No never mind I 'm happy where I'm at.

cajun shooter
01-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Welcome to the crazy hobby of the silver stream. It will bring you hours of enjoyment when you are not shooting. You will not save money but you will have more money for supplies and equipment. Take Care David