PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal on used mold prices??

captaint
01-14-2010, 02:23 AM
So I stopped by Fleabay earlier to check out the used H&G molds and prices.. MY GAWD!!! Used to be the good ones were 200.00 plus. Now all the good ones (for me, anyway) are $300.00 plus. WOW.
Guess I'll have to continue enjoying my NOE's and MP's. Glad those are working out well. enjoy Mike:coffee::coffee:

SethD
01-14-2010, 02:32 AM
There is a sucker born every minute and ebay has a way of finding the biggest suckers too.

Daddyfixit
01-14-2010, 02:33 AM
I would say there are very few good deals on used moulds, most are selling for almost new prices!

exile
01-14-2010, 02:50 AM
Good to know that actually. Now maybe I won't feel guilty if I buy a new Lyman 358429 mold (2 hole).

exile

jameslovesjammie
01-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Seems to be normal prices for H&G to me.

mooman76
01-14-2010, 08:49 PM
That's nothing new. Been going on for years and only got worse the past year because of the current situations. It is very common for moulds to get more than new prices and if you were savy you could make a good little profit buying and selling.

BD
01-14-2010, 09:18 PM
So are original H&G San Diego molds collector's items these days? $300 for real?
BD

DLCTEX
01-14-2010, 09:25 PM
I haven't bought much in the way of reloading equipment in a couple years due to the increase in prices. Glad I got into casting when I did, I bought a lot of equipment at really good prices then.

Shiloh
01-15-2010, 06:10 AM
There is a sucker born every minute and ebay has a way of finding the biggest suckers too.

+1. This sums it up.

Ebay prices are outrageous. Then there is shipping. I have NEVER won a mold on Ebay.

Molds often go for more to a lot more than a new one, even current production molds.

SHiloh

Tazman1602
01-15-2010, 07:07 AM

I think that kind of sums it up. I've been watching ebay for months on molds and have come to the conclusion there ain't no deals. What is killing me is most of the molds ----- even in current in stock molds are going for more on ebay than you can buy the new ones from Midway for! That's just stupid!

I can't believe people are that dumb.............................but then, look who's running the country..................and I ain't talking Obamarama but the rest of them...........

anachronism
01-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Gunbroker & Auction Arms are no different. I regularly see current production 4 cavity Lymans for $90.00+. There's an old Ideal 358429 HP at $125.00. Even Midway is cheaper. My favorite description on a mould reads like "lathe bored for unparalleled precision & roundness". This is on some new Lyman(!) moulds on Gunbroker.

Moulds are not really moving on the gun auctions.

Andy Griffith
01-15-2010, 02:34 PM
I believe that many of the moulds are getting shipped out of the country.

My theory is, that these moulds are more collectible and desirable in places such as Japan.
This is happening in a small way to handgun boxes and grips- they are more valuable outside the US than here inside. So, the "global economy" may be influencing prices to a small, unverifiable extent- but it doesn't explain it all. Stupidity in spending does explain it.

Why they don't buy moulds direct from Midway and such, I don't know. ????

Also, I guess these people that are domestic and pay big bucks for moulds are the same ones that paid $100+ a brick for primers during the worst of the scare. Why didn't I sell mine for that?!?!?! I was stupid I guess.

I'd sell off my my "antique" moulds for big bucks if I could get some new steel moulds that cast the same bullet and were the same quality and pocket the difference.

The other thing is, there are "mould collectors" which drive up prices on rare moulds. I don't care how rare one is, I buy a mould only if I like the bullet it casts- and if it doesn't shoot well, I'd get rid of it!

quasi
01-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Andy, Midway will not ship out of the US anymore, thanks to the U.S. Government.

bearcove
01-16-2010, 09:34 PM
You guys need to get this into the proper perspective.

Ebay prices are wonderful, they are fantastic!

That is where can sell all the molds that don't work in your gun, don't cast for diddley or you decide you don't want anymore.

And you can get ALL OF YOUR MONEY BACK to try something else.

Use it for what it is good for, turning you junk into money instead of fill for the landfill.

dragonfirerich
01-17-2010, 12:59 PM
I've never noticed this phenomenon. The molds I've gotten from ebay leave me about 20-30 dollars richer than if I had bought them on Midway, and they're in good shape. I guess it just depends on what your trying to get, exactly.

Tazman1602
01-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Hey Dragon and WELCOME To the forum!!!

Try this for me: find a mold on ebay (any mold) then go to that category and sort by "most recently listed" and just tick off any mold you might be interested in to "watch in my ebay" then see what they sell for, you'll be amazed at the prices people will pay.

For instance, there's a guy selling brand new Lee molds on ebay at buy it now for two to five dollars over the price Midway charges.

We've all noticed it and if a mold is within five bucks of what I can buy it for new? I'm buying new unless it's an old manufacture mold I REALLY want.

Art

I've never noticed this phenomenon. The molds I've gotten from ebay leave me about 20-30 dollars richer than if I had bought them on Midway, and they're in good shape. I guess it just depends on what your trying to get, exactly.

dragonfirerich
01-17-2010, 05:03 PM
I see what you mean on the 4 and 6 bangers. One and two cavity molds (which is what I tend to buy), though, are a completely different story if you want something other than Lee molds. Like I said, it just depends on what you're trying to get.

Dschuttig
01-20-2010, 12:48 AM
Is it possible that people are willing to pay more for a older mold of current manufacture because almost every new lyman mold casts undersized? I just bought a 266459 new, if it casts .265 with wheel weights it's a good day. According to my older lyman manuals the "as cast" diameter used to be 268-269. That would be just the ticket for my older 6.5 Military rifles, so I would be willing to take a chance on a used one.

Artful
01-20-2010, 01:47 AM
The other thing is that older molds may no longer be available - limited selection from Lyman compared to what it once was.

I haven't bought much in the way of reloading equipment in a couple years due to the increase in prices. Glad I got into casting when I did, I bought a lot of equipment at really good prices then.

Yep, but since I bought all my stuff my interests have changed from volume pistol calibers to more rifle calibers. So I'm looking for stuff that will work in my newer / old guns the 303 brit, 7.62x54 Nagants, 7.62x39, only ammo still cheap enough to shoot surplus is 7.62x25 and that is creeping up as well. Ah the days of seven to ten cents a shot instead of fifty to a buck a round - though it has lit a fire under me to start up casting again which hasn't been since the 80's. Glad I don't sell off or throw much away.

wistlepig1
01-20-2010, 02:03 AM
A fool and his money are soon parted= Flea Bay

Tazman1602
01-20-2010, 03:05 AM
I'd pay a *reasonable* price for an older, well kept, used mold but I wouldn't pay the prices I see idiots on ebay paying for some of these molds. C'mon, $300 for a dang mold???? I can have any number of mold makers here make me a custom mold that will throw whatever size I want and have it chromed for that much cash.

Any Lee mold on ebay I've seen goes for almost full pop from Midway......WHY?? First off with Lee if I want to dink around with sizing and lapping I"m only out around $20 for a BRAND NEW one!!!!

I watch at least 30 molds a week on ebay and the only "deals" I've seen are molds we all know enough to stay away from.

I just bought an older Lyman 358156 4-cav here WITH handles for $80 and the guy only charged me $5 to ship and it cost him $10 + change. THAT'S reasonable.

Dang thing throws almost perfect bullets too.....

jdgabbard
01-20-2010, 03:12 AM
Personally I find good deals on Ebay pretty often when it comes to molds. But there are things to know when bidding.

The best deals are going to be on molds that there are a plethora of. I.e. 358495, 358156, 358242, ect...

Second, go in knowing exactly what you want to pay for THAT mold. Find you're absolute top price and stick with it.

Third, bid when there is very little time left. Before the last 30 minutes or so just "watch" the item. This is where having a "smart phone" such as the iphone comes in handy. Believe it or not, there actually is an app for that...

And last, if it looks like you're not going to win the item unless you start bidding over the max you set then just don't win the item. There will be another mold just like it up before long. A lot of people buy just to resell... It works to you're advantage sometimes...