PDA

View Full Version : BPC Deer Rifle

Boz330
01-13-2010, 09:54 AM
My newest project is the conversion of a 1889 Swede Roller to 40-65. I used an 18 twist barrel off of a CSA Highwall that I had rebarreled. This was a good deal since I had the barrel, action and reamer already. I had considered a 40-50 but that would have required the purchase of another reamer.
I haven't hunted deer with anything but BPC or ML in quite a few years, just adds a little challenge. Need to get a 300gr flat point mould yet, and the wood is on the way from Tree Bone.
After looking at some of the side lever conversions of rollers I was thinking this would be a nice addition. Does anyone offer the levers and pins for this conversion? I haven't tried a search yet, just thought that someone might already know of a supplier. I'll post a picture a little later of where it is at this point.

Bob

NickSS
01-13-2010, 03:40 PM
I know that Lone Star will do this type of action mod maybe they will sell you the parts?

JSnover
01-13-2010, 04:36 PM
lonestarrifle.com does sell parts.

Boz330
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Surprisingly the stock that I didn't expect for several weeks showed up today. So did a bunch of work (which is a good thing). Here are a couple pics of the stock. I am impressed.:bigsmyl2:
Lonestar doesn't list the parts on their site but I sent them an e-mail asking about them. Another company offers the parts but they are quite a bit more than I can afford right now so that will have to wait. I'm sure that I could do it from scratch but it would be very time consuming and right now I have my work cut out for me.

Bob

1874Sharps
01-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Bob,

Great looking wood! You know even if you did not convert to side lever you would have a dandy roller. In fact I think I would prefer the 40-65 over a 40-50. It would certainly be a bit more capable and will do the job on a deer nicely.

Boz330
01-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Bob,

Great looking wood! You know even if you did not convert to side lever you would have a dandy roller. In fact I think I would prefer the 40-65 over a 40-50. It would certainly be a bit more capable and will do the job on a deer nicely.

You are absolutely right. I have taken 2 with the 40-65 and they were plenty dead. The 40-50 is just such a cute round and I'm sure you know the hankering for something new and different. The 40-50 would just lend itself to smokeless a little better because of the case capacity, but anymore I burn much more BP than smokeless.
Just priced some Swiss today and smokeless for a lot of loads might be a plus for the money. Over $500 for a case of Swiss. It was only $375 last year when I stocked up (12/08). When this runs out I might have to see if I can get some of the cheaper powders to fly.

Bob

NickSS
01-15-2010, 05:27 AM
I have thought of a 40-50 SS for some time. I have also thought of the 40-60 Maynard as well both can be made form 303 British or 30-40 Krag.

Southern Son
01-15-2010, 05:37 AM
Boz, you have got to promise to post photos of that rifle when you finish. I would love to convert a roller to either side lever or the other conversion that uses the trigger guard (can't think of the name of the bloke who did it, but I saw a write up of it in Rifle). That timber looks sweet, it will look even better with a coat of oil.

Boz330
01-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Boz, you have got to promise to post photos of that rifle when you finish. I would love to convert a roller to either side lever or the other conversion that uses the trigger guard (can't think of the name of the bloke who did it, but I saw a write up of it in Rifle). That timber looks sweet, it will look even better with a coat of oil.

SS I will do that. The side lever will have to wait till times are a little better. Right now the only investment I have in the rifle is the stock since all of the other parts were lying around and I already owned the reamer. It should be purty when it is done though.

Bob

Boz330
02-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Unfortunately I have way too much time to work on this thing. But I am catching up on projects.

Bob

GOPHER SLAYER
02-06-2010, 09:16 PM
BOZ 330, that is going to be a be a very nice rifle. Would you mind sharing with us what the wood cost and who the supplier was?

Southern Son
02-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Going to be a great looking rifle when you are done.

Boz330
02-07-2010, 12:16 PM
BOZ 330, that is going to be a be a very nice rifle. Would you mind sharing with us what the wood cost and who the supplier was?

Not at all, the wood is fiddle back maple, from Treebone Carving. The cost was $225 and the forearm hanger wedge, ferrel, and screw was another $27. Didn't figure I could make one that cheap.
It has been awhile since I bought any wood and it sure isn't cheap.
The part that I am dreading is installing the Nieder style butt plate. Anybody have any ideas of how to make it easier, I'm all ears.

Bob

GOPHER SLAYER
02-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Boz330, there is no easy way,just Prussian blue, a good scrapper and time. I have done one in my life. I installed a buttplate on a 73 Winchester rifle. I sat in front of the TV while I did it and it took eight hours. I would rather not do another one. You can subtitute lip stick for Prussian blue. One bit of advice, don't take big bites. Remember you can take it off but you can't put it back on.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Boz330, after reading my response to your question I see that I should have said scraper. The last thing you need is a scrapper while you're inletting buttplate.

Boz330
02-26-2010, 09:16 PM
The butt plate is fitted and I'm pretty happy with it if I do say so myself. The one shot isn't too great but you can get the idea.
I used lipstick and went slow
I'm doing the sanding and final profile work now, just about to the steel wool stage.

Bob