PDA

View Full Version : Pre 64 Winchester question

waksupi
05-31-2006, 11:18 PM
Today at work, we took apart a real fine old pre 64 Winchester M70. Under the butt plate, was a broken case extractor. Was this common to the rifle, or an aftermarket thing?

Four Fingers of Death
05-31-2006, 11:59 PM
I dunno, but I'm gonna check under my pair. I can't imagine it being standard and us never having heard of it before. I don't know about you, but I have read countless articles on these fine rifles (thats what made me look for them) without it being mentioned.

Frank46
06-01-2006, 03:14 AM
I've had about four over the last twenty years and never did one come with the extractor. Frank

Bucks Owin
06-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Huh? How did it fit in there, a hollowed out compartment?

Anyway, between my Dad and myself I've had a couple dozen P-64 M-70s go through the gun cabinet and have never had any problem with the old "mauser style" extractor. (And I've seen M-70 actions pounded open with a 2X4 after firing an extremely hot handload!)

IMO the old M-70 deserves it's title as "The Rifleman's Rifle" and during their reign there was no other US built bolt rifle in it's class....Dependability, strength, accuracy, style....the P-64 M-70 was the high water mark!

Dennis

BTW, there were no flies on the later version either! I would hope now that the "Winchester" M-70 is history that Browning will see fit to build them....

1941 M-70 .270 WCF

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/BucksOwin/Dads001.jpg

Mk42gunner
06-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Sounds to me like somebody had a case separation and wanted to be prepared the next time it happened. Did it have a trap door in the butt plate? I know I wouldn't want to try taking a buttplate off with a knife blade or cartridge case.

Robert

Four Fingers of Death
06-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Probably not a bad idea if you are hunting dangerous game of hunting in remote locations. A problem like that would see the expensive hunt grind to a halt.

waksupi
06-01-2006, 08:07 PM
It was under the butt plate, which would have to be removed for access. The hole was drilled to fit closely, with a counter sunk hole, deep enough to give a good hold on the extractor. The brand on it is Marbles, by the way.

Char-Gar
06-01-2006, 09:07 PM
Good idea, but not Winchester factory item.

NVcurmudgeon
06-01-2006, 11:19 PM
I have owned four pre-64 M70s and have never seen a broken shell extractor except in ads.

Bucks Owin
06-18-2006, 09:18 PM
I have owned four pre-64 M70s and have never seen a broken shell extractor except in ads.

That would be in ads for "aftermarket extractors" I presume? [smilie=1:

I've never seen one break either and I've been around a LOT of M-70s. I figure if you can't break it by pounding the bolt open with a 2x4.....(oops!!!) ;)

Dennis

Dale53
06-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Just to clear the air - the gentleman is NOT talking about the Mod 70 extractor failing. He is talking about a "broken case extractor" - you only use one when the case head comes off the case. This leaves the case in the chamber with no head on it.

The broken shell extractor is inserted in the chamber and then when the bolt is pulled back, the Mod 70 extractor "extracts" the broken shell extractor with, hopefully, the broken case. Cases many years ago had a MUCH higher failure rate often caused by reloading a case that had been fired with mercuric primers (deadly to brass).

FWIW
Dale53

NVcurmudgeon
06-19-2006, 01:35 AM
Bucks Owin, yes, the ads I saw were for aftermarket broken shell extractors. My guess is that it would have been poor sales psychology for Winchester to offer them.

9.3X62AL
06-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Interesting thread here. I've only had one case head seperation that left a casing-minus-head in the chamber. This was from a lot of brass I received from the seller of the Win 94 in 25-35 WCF. The brass appeared to be unfired, but dated from the late 1950's according to the man. On the second firing of this lot of cases, the extractor removed the rim and a 1/2" cup of brass, leaving the balance of the case in the chamber. NOT GOOD.

Thanks (I think) to the sloping shape of the 25-35 case, a cleaning brush down the bore grabbed the case mouth and pushed out the brass remnant. I skated, in other words. Two more rounds fired from this lot of 40 cases showed either incipient or partial seps, so I downed the lot and discarded it. No other brass, old stuff I had laying around or new brass, has performed this way in this rifle since that time. Just a bad lot, I guess.

Bucks Owin
06-19-2006, 11:18 AM
Just to clear the air - the gentleman is NOT talking about the Mod 70 extractor failing. He is talking about a "broken case extractor" - you only use one when the case head comes off the case. This leaves the case in the chamber with no head on it.

The broken shell extractor is inserted in the chamber and then when the bolt is pulled back, the Mod 70 extractor "extracts" the broken shell extractor with, hopefully, the broken case. Cases many years ago had a MUCH higher failure rate often caused by reloading a case that had been fired with mercuric primers (deadly to brass).

FWIW
Dale53

Thanks Dale.....(DUH! Nothing wrong with my reading comprehension huh?!?) :roll:

Remembering to take my Geritol cocktail today, :-D

Dennis

eldeguello
07-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Today at work, we took apart a real fine old pre 64 Winchester M70. Under the butt plate, was a broken case extractor. Was this common to the rifle, or an aftermarket thing?

Never saw any Win. M70 of any vintage so equipped. Must have been an add-on......

stephen perry
08-23-2010, 06:20 AM
I am putting on a Pachmayer Presentation pad on a .270 featherweight. I am down to the wood as we speak, waiting for the pad. No extractor in the wood.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

JDL
08-24-2010, 01:36 PM
A bronze bore brush usually works fine. The only time it ever happened to me was in my AR-15 when I was single loading during load work up. It ejected the case head and the body was easily removed via the bore brush.
JDL

stephen perry
08-25-2010, 08:47 AM
If this happens in the web section generally you have a head space problem with the chambering or you are sizing way far into the web section. Brass sections overworked create the thinning at the sizing line. If you have a neck seperation problem shoot that brass twice maybe 3 times and chuck it unless you are into annealing brass which most loaders aren't. Lapua and Norma sell annealed new brass, not a bad way to go after you get over the price.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Four Fingers of Death
08-26-2010, 03:44 AM
Reasonably frequent with 303 in SMLEs, only seen one other in a Swede 6.5 and a few in hot loaded Hornets.

I'd rather have an extractor than not have one I suppose.