PDA

View Full Version : A Snider reload question

Beekeeper
01-13-2010, 12:37 AM
I am preparing to reload some Snider rounds and have a primer question.
As the firing pin strikes at an angle I had several FtF rounds the first time I shot it.
If you recock the hammer and pull the trigger a second time they all fired.
I am using CCI large rifle primers!
Do you think a softer primer is needed ?
If so what primer do you recommend?

There is no place I have been able to find that has any info on firing pin legnth so in that area I am playing it by ear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

NickSS
01-13-2010, 05:50 AM
How much of a dent does it leave in the primer? Is it hitting the edge of the primer hole in the case head? My experience with the locks on those rifles is that they have stout springs. I would look at either a broken firing pin or perhaps it is hitting so off center that it does not fire. Another thought would be that the primers are not completely seated. This will cause FTF the first time.

Beekeeper
01-13-2010, 11:01 AM
NickSS,
I have checked the primer depth and they seat completely.
The pin strike is in the center of the primer and I think if it were a straight on strike it would be sufficient to fire the round.
I have come to believe the firing pin has just worn down on both top and bottom to the point I am not getting enough strike at an angle to get a good strike( does that make sense)
That is one reason I was looking for data on making a new pin , so I could make one and try it.

Jim

scrapcan
01-13-2010, 11:27 AM
jim,

Send Buckshot a pm. I think he too shoots the snider and may have some comments.

1874Sharps
01-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Beekeeper.

In my Sharps I have gone to shooting nothing but Winchester large rifle primers, as these consistently fire on the first shot. I had similar trouble with CCI primers in that particular rifle. In other more modern rlfles the CCI primers did just fine.

NickSS
01-13-2010, 03:38 PM
How deep is the dent in your primer? If it is very shallow the firing pin may not be long enough. As to length just copy the old one and add .010 to the pin end and then you can trim it if necessary. Lots of old rifles hit the primer at an angle like all the trap doors and my rolling block. Check out the primer hit. You may also be more successful with a more sensitive primer like Federals.