PDA

View Full Version : Carbide sizer problem Fixed

GP100man
01-12-2010, 09:48 PM
I thought!!

I`ve never resized a whole lot of nickled 357 brass but when I did I used a spare carbide sizer .

Well I grabbed it instead of the other & started sizing a batch of yellow HHMMMM
why are those marks on there??I soon discovered the mistake i`d made & switched dies BUTTT I wanted to try to "clean " the burrs out !!

I brushed , I polished with choreboy , I steel wooled , then started adding things like flitz , JB bore paste & went thru the whole scrubbin thing again. Did`nt even touch the burr , scratch or what ever it was in the die , I thought the carbide was cracked from the cold weather !!!

Well the die was no good to me so I wrapped some 400 grit around a mop with a little 3in1oil & put it in the bore & let it expand to a good snug fit , i tried to turn it but was too grabby so I took the pliers & turn it a little ,then it was free as a bird to turn???? I thought dang I got it ,I got it alrite a big sliver of nickle stuck to the 400grit !!!!!!!

That peice of nickle went by all that scrubbin & lookin & polishin but did catch on the 400 why????

I looked even with the lee bhn micro scope with good lite ????& never saw it !!

I have a really smooth carbide sizer now , the brass looks as if it`s been polished after sizing!!!

Wayne Smith
01-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Obviously the grit on the 400 was harder than the nickle. The other polishers weren't. The harder grit grabbed and pulled and, viola, you have a clean die.

1hole
01-13-2010, 11:49 PM
I've used 400-600 grit black paper on dies for years to removed galled brass and nickle, works fine. ONLY diamond will cut a carbide sizer ring and case hardened steel is pretty tuff stuff too.

anachronism
01-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Hmmm. I wonder if foaming bore cleaner would be a good idea for cleaning sizing dies. I need to try this.

Willbird
01-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Hoppes #9 will supposedly loosen nickle plating on guns if they are SOAKED in it. Conventional abrasives WILL abrade carbide (but very slowly), for example the green wheels you use on a bench grinder to grind brazed carbide are not a diamond wheel.

Bill

1hole
01-15-2010, 09:12 PM
"...the green wheels you use on a bench grinder to grind brazed carbide are not a diamond wheel."

True, but...that ain't the same stuff we find on black "sandpaper" is it? The suggested fine grit carborundum paper laps won't change a thing in a carbide die and that was the question.