PDA

View Full Version : Do bullets need sizing?

terryt
01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Hi All:

Mike Ventino in an article in Handloader magazine says that cast bullets do need to be sized.
Has any buddy run a test of the same load and same firearm using sized and unsized bullets?

Thanks,

Terry

303Guy
01-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Yup. I have a mold that fits one rifle as is and needs to be sized for another. No difference in powder charge. The trick is that the loaded boolit must fit the gun reliably. What happens if the as cast boolit is out of round? I would need to be sized in that instance or it won't seat or chamber properly.

runfiverun
01-12-2010, 09:28 PM
a lot of times i wait till i have cast from the mold before ordering a sizer.
got quite a few that barely scrape the sides enough to seat a g/c and put some lube in the grooves.

watkibe
01-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Running a test yourself is the only way to find out how your boolits from your mold shoot in your firearm.

Some combinations work fine without sizing, some don't. There aren't really any hard and fast rules, just some generalizations: Lee says their tumble lube boolits don't need sizing ( I size mine). Seating gas checks on rifle boolits requires sizing.

You never can tell until you try it yourself.

buck1
01-12-2010, 09:41 PM
I read that article too. I loved it. However In a revilver i order larger than needed sizing dies, and my sizer then just lubes them. My revolvers have proven to me to be great sizers. Every shot custom sized upon fireing. I do size for rifles.
I think the point was that they can be sized and STILL shoot well. Thats How I took It any way, I belive it too............Buck

res45
01-12-2010, 09:53 PM
My 357 and 9mm like the Lee TL design bullets as cast with no sizing at all. I ran a few through a friend sizer and they shot worse with the same load, so I just lube and shoot. As stated your gun will tell you what it likes best.

anachronism
01-12-2010, 10:48 PM
a lot of times i wait till i have cast from the mold before ordering a sizer.
got quite a few that barely scrape the sides enough to seat a g/c and put some lube in the grooves.

I do this with my Star too. Everything fits so nicely.

Recluse
01-12-2010, 11:21 PM
To gain consistent accuracy in reloading, you need to be consistent in technique.

For me, I size all boolits regardless. This eliminates one variable (size, out-of-round, etc) from the list. For ultimate consistency in accuracy, I load the same brass with primers from the same lot number and powder from the same lot number and boolits from the same casting session.

Now, if I could only shoot worth a dang, it might all make sense.

:coffee:

largom
01-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Load or seat an unsized boolit in your case, if it will chamber without any pressure you should be good to go.

As watkibe said, you have to try Your alloy from Your mold in Your gun. I have several guns that shoot as cast without sizing. I lube and seat gas checks in an over-sized die.

Larry

MtGun44
01-13-2010, 12:20 AM
+1 to what watkibe said.

Bill

Bret4207
01-13-2010, 08:13 AM
No. they don't always need to be sized. Every operation you do to the boolit after it drops from the mould is a chance for damage to occur. It may not be intentional or noticed, but it can happen. If sizing isn't required for a particular gun, I don't size. But each gun/load is a law unto itself. Only by experimenting can you tell what the gun needs.

qajaq59
01-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Now, if I could only shoot worth a dang, it might all make sense. Both my cast bullets and my rifles shoot better then I do at times, so you're not alone.

captain-03
01-13-2010, 11:57 AM
In the past I have tried not sizing them .. sometimes it works, other times it is a PITA ... usually size them all now ... have avoided the past problems ..

243winxb
01-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Size them or buy a bullet puller. Would you buy factory bullets without knowing there Diameter?

mpmarty
01-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Most of my 40, 45, 45/70 and 30 cal boolits are shot as cast without sizing at all. I do use a Star with a .460 die to seat and crimp checks on those few I bother using with gas checks. My 30/284 fired in my K31 won't chamber with the as cast boolits so they get sized to .309.