PDA

View Full Version : ruger frame size questions

TREERAT
01-12-2010, 08:29 PM
thinking about a current new model .41 mag blackhawk, is this frame size the large size ruger has used for years? is this also the same size frame as the SUPER?

what frame is the .30 carbine?

paul s
01-12-2010, 08:48 PM
Since 1973 Ruger used two frame sizes for the SA revolvers, 22/32H&R and the other for EVERYTHING else, now they have reintroduced the med size frame for the Vaquero/357 Anniversary/44 Special flat top. Confusing it is!

TREERAT
01-12-2010, 09:05 PM
I have the 50th .357 med frame, and hope to get a .44 special exactly like it. untill one comes avalable I thought about getting a .41 mag.

so you are saying that the .41 mag will be the same frame size as the .357/9mm convertable and .44 super blackhawks I have owned about 5 years ago?

does the .41 mag tend to like cast bullets at hunting velocity? what weight mold would you recomend?

shooting on a shoestring
01-12-2010, 11:10 PM
I can answer the frame size question...Yes. The Blackhawk frame is the same as was your covertable .357/9mm and 44 Mag Super Blackhawk. The old Vaquero was also the same frame size. The Single Six is the little frame for .17, .22, .22 Mag, .32 H&R. The Bearcat was the tiny one for .22.

As for being cast friendly, I can't speak from experience, haven't owned a .41 Magnum. However, there's really no difference between that and any straight walled revolver cartridge. Its a matter of having good throat dimensions (bigger than the bore diameter), fitting boolits to the throats, do some load work, and have a blast.

I do agree with what 44man once said, paraphrasing here - the .44 is practically the same size and has lots more choice in moulds, brass etc...and comes in the same size pistol...so why not go .44?

However, if .41 floats your boat, have a ball. There's no wrong answer in how you have your fun. Personally, I get my kicks from .357 and .38.