PDA

View Full Version : Handgun alloys ??

2shot
01-12-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm running low on my lead supply and I was going to place an order with one of the companies that alloy's lead. I use lead at this time for handguns only in 357, 44, 45 and was wondering if anybody has any experiance in dealing with Rotometals or any other supplier of lead.

In the past I have made my own Lyman # 2 and brewed up some 30-1 that worked good for me. Have you found that these companies are pretty much right on with their hardness test or would it be better for me to buy pure lead and alloy it myself?

2shot

runfiverun
01-12-2010, 01:39 PM
they know what they are doing.
i have been looking at getting some terracorp mag alloy and cutting it 1-1 with pure.
a 1/3 mix does everything i need.
magnum handgun,rifle,levergun.

mold maker
01-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Ya better make sure you want what ya order, cause it will be on your doorstep lickety split.
Their service is great.

markinalpine
01-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Rotometals had my order shipped, gave me the USPS tracking code, and assured me it would be delivered quickly when the USPS tracking system never acknowledged it had even been picked up. I told my usual carrier what was on the way, and arranged for him to just drop it next to my pickup in the carport around the corner from the front of my house (where the mailbox is.) It was delivered before the USPS system knew about it, it's status went from "Shipper has Notified USPS of Pending Shipment straight to Delivered" with no stautus in between.
It took 4 days from Californicatia to West Texas.
Rotometals reinforced to USPS Flat Rate box with extra cardboard and lots of strapping tape. USPS wasn't able to completely destroy the box, but it look like they tried.
Mark :coffeecom

Quigley284
01-12-2010, 02:22 PM
2shot, Rotometals also usually has free shipping. If you get on their email list, they will let you know when they are having a sale. I think the last sale was for the Christmas holidays. The 20-1 alloy I got is very nice and shipping was very fast. They do have a hardball alloy what will probably work in a handgun. Just call and see. Mike

cbrick
01-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Diddo what has already been said of Rotometals, I've used them a few times and have plugs for them on my web site. They are first rate folks to do business with.

Mention to them that you learned of and contacted them through the Castboolits forum so they know their advertising dollars are well spent.

Rick

Gunslinger1911
01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Rotometals is a great company !! I ordered last Fri morning - delivered in Ohio Monday !! Can't beat that.
Order 60 lbs and get a price break (bigger discounts for higher weights also) Nice to get a price break that fits into a one-rate box !

fredj338
01-12-2010, 08:35 PM
It would pretty much cost you the same to buy metals & blend your own, so I would buy the alloy you want. That is pretty expensive shooting though, once you get above $1/#.

2shot
01-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Roto seems cheaper than Midway as far as the cost per#. My local source for range scrap, the local VFW has stopped us from getting the lead scrape out of there shooting range saying that it's a hazard to our health to take it out and has hired a company to clean it now. I don't know if the local government is forcing them to do this but I'm thinking that OSHA may be involved in the desicion. Oh well

2shot