PDA

View Full Version : golden rod

hiram
01-12-2010, 07:48 AM
I have a golden rod to install in my safe. I have no experience with using this product. The safe is lined with carpet. How hot does the rod get? Should I trim the carpet away to prevent a fire. I plan to drill and tap a hole and attach the rod to the back wall of the safe. Thanks.

winelover
01-12-2010, 08:21 AM
I have a golden rod to install in my safe. I have no experience with using this product. The safe is lined with carpet. How hot does the rod get? Should I trim the carpet away to prevent a fire. I plan to drill and tap a hole and attach the rod to the back wall of the safe. Thanks.

They don't get real hot, only warm. Mine came with a plastic cradle like stand (legs) and it hasn't melted in over 15 years.

Winelover:coffee:

cattleskinner
01-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Mine experience is the same as winelover's. It only gets warm to the touch and doesn't seem to heat the safe, but it does a good job of keeping stuff from rusting. Mine is the black colored goldenrod.

1874Sharps
01-12-2010, 09:27 AM
I have one in my safe and it gets no warmer than can be held in the hand. They work well, too, in keeping rust off of steel. A word of caution if you plan on keeping an old valuable timepiece such as an antique pocket watch: A Golden Rod will dry out the oil in the jewels in about six months, thereby necessitating a fresh servicing.

cajun shooter
01-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Hiram, Before you drill any holes check out your safe real good. A lot of safes come predrilled with a plug that only has to be punched out. My Liberty came that way so that I could install the golden Rod. later David