PDA

View Full Version : casting using range Lead and the silver shower

Ford SD
01-12-2010, 03:51 AM
casting using range Lead

well i am a caster of 30/40/44/45cal and lyman 12g slugs:castmine:

well this is my 2nd post but i have been looking and thought i would give my 2cents

in the past have had some small silver showers when melting down range lead

and one of the things i have done is pick out all the jacketed rounds and if in one pc
i have cut them in 2 using bolt cutters (do this when picking out all the other big pcs of stuff that should not be there
as i think as the lead heats up inside and has no where to go and goes pop.
i also think it helps speed up the melt as the pcs are smaller

knock on wood ---- have not had any big showers since doing this

also when looking for copper, can also look for that live round that should not be there

lwknight
01-12-2010, 03:57 AM
I would hazard a guess that you are just heating the melt too fast.
Do you get splatters when you start off everything cold and build up to melt slowly?

Ford SD
01-12-2010, 04:28 AM
i just use one of the old colman propane stoves (outside)of course,
to melt range lead. grab a book and a lawn chair and stay up wind til it some what stops smoking--- mix it up and skim off all junk and copper etc
then pour it into another smaller pot heat and remix, skim then pour into molds using small pot

using the 2 pot method i found it speeded thing up and i was not adding cold lead to hot
when i get to the casting stage 99% of the range junk dirt is gone

Cloudpeak
01-12-2010, 09:43 AM
I've had a few fully encapsulated range bullets "squirt". When heated enough, it ruptures in the weakest area and squirts. So, when I dump some new range scrap into my cast iron pot, the lid goes on immediately. A full face shield would probably be a good idea in addition to regular safety glasses.

runfiverun
01-12-2010, 01:41 PM
when going through the range stuff i just hit the fmj/plated stuff with a hammer, it usually splits the case.

1Shirt
01-12-2010, 02:46 PM
Heavy Lid on cast iron pot-if there are squirts they stay inside!
1Shirt!:coffee:

cbrick
01-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I'll venture a guess that there was water inside some of the jackets, a huge and dangerous no-no.

Start off with an empty pot when adding jacketed boolits and the water will evaporate before the lead melts.

Rick

evan price
01-12-2010, 04:25 PM
I've seen some TMJ (Total Metal Jacket) bullets that do not deform enough to have a hole. Those build up pressure inside until either the jacket fails or you scoop it out. They are like little bombs! I let stuff cool off all the way before I mess with the jackets. Just skim into a metal can and put the lid on it. Also melt with lid on too. Had a few that once cool, I had to beat with hammer to get a rupture. I'm sure they would kersplode if overheated!

geargnasher
01-15-2010, 11:30 PM
+1 on lid, heavy and well-fitting.

Gear

docone31
01-15-2010, 11:35 PM
One of the things I do with range lead, is to have a series of hot spots I stage my metal to be melted.
I have had poppers. No damage, but it did get my attention. Now, I melt only after the staged metal has gone through several hot stages, with the final on the Kitty Litter in the pot. The lead melts through the Litter, leaving the jacket behind.
I do not do much range melt, so on a small scale that is what works for me.

WILCO
01-16-2010, 02:08 AM
My range lead is copper free, as it comes from the indoor range. The above information is good to know though. :smile:

Bob in Revelstoke
01-16-2010, 02:44 AM
When I am melting range scrap I separate any lead bullets with gas checks and make sure they are melted with cold scrap and heated up. I once, without thinking, tossed some into a pot of hot lead. One or more of them had moisture between the check and the bullet base. Instant explosion and subsequent visit from the tinsel fairy. Another very good reason to wear protective clothing and a face shield. I also stay away from FMJ and FMJ hollow points. I recover most of my scrap in the spring when the snow has melted. The bullets are in very good condition and quite clean. I have also been known to re-use .45 ACP FMJ bullets as most that I pick up are from my guns. Recycling at its best.

WHITETAIL
01-16-2010, 09:27 AM
:cbpour:First off, I smelt out side of the gerage.
So I dump all of the lead to be cleaned
on the floor and use a LONG handle
shovel to load my dutch oven pot.
Then I wait till the melt gets to 650-700
deg. and then I scoop all of the floaters out.
Then it's time to stir in a little saw dust.
And also add a chunk of wax.
After the piro show I make ingots.

jforwel
01-16-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm glad this post appeared as I am close to melting down a bunch of range scrap that I know had some FMC bullets in it. I try to pick them out but I know some get in.