PDA

View Full Version : Question for coyote hunters

SciFiJim
01-12-2010, 02:51 AM
For you guys that hunt coyotes. Is it mating season or something?

I commute 45 miles each way on country roads and have seen more coyotes in the last month than in several years. This morning I saw a first for me. Three coyotes standing in the middle of the road. Normally, I only see them as they are running to cross the road or as roadkill. These three stood there and only moved as I got close. I figured that the only thing that would make a coyote that stupid is a female coyote in heat. So, is it mating season or something?

rhbrink
01-12-2010, 07:45 AM
It's about time, my area usually does't start until about the end of this month and can run into March your part of the country may be different.

phaessler
01-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Most of it is mating, depending on where you live, but some of it a non-typical winter for most parts of the country has caused the coyote to seek broader ranges for food sources, thus new mating opportunities. They have been vocal here since the first week of Jan.

Pete

Blammer
01-12-2010, 08:24 PM
hmm, time to get out and do some calling.. :)

Longrange
01-12-2010, 08:27 PM
I have shot 6 in the Brownsville area this past weekend.

:bigsmyl2:

SciFiJim
01-12-2010, 10:31 PM
When I saw them I thought "Hey, a hunting opportunity." But, I wasn't going to take a pot shot out the window at 60 MPH and I had to get to work.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-12-2010, 11:04 PM
I wasn't going to take a pot shot out the window at 60 MPH and I had to get to work.

Having to get to work is no excuse... :bigsmyl2:

Potsy
01-12-2010, 11:10 PM
I've noticed the same thing recently.
I went to Arkansas between Christmas and New Years and between I-40 and multiple state roads I bet I saw 15-20 roadkill yotes over the course of about 1100 miles there and back.
Wondered about the mating thing.

cricco
01-13-2010, 01:03 AM
I'm an avid coyote hunter, and it's the time of year that the dogs start pairing up for mating season around here. Last week I shot this 68 lb male. Quite possibly a state record here.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/harley387/IMG00023-20100105-2247.jpg

44mag1
01-13-2010, 07:44 AM
It is the start of their breeding season, good luck calling them when they have that on their brain. They respond slower to food type calls but can respond real well to other vocalizations such as howling and fox coyote fighting sounds. But they still gotta eat. "cricco" Ive shot hundreds of coyotes and have never even seen one close to that size. He must be eating well, good job.

rhbrink
01-13-2010, 08:25 AM
That ain't no sheit! Are you sure that isn't a wolf? Part wolf part dog?

kbstenberg
01-13-2010, 08:49 AM
I shirr wish i knew how to call coyotes. Seems like there is lots locally but i haven't heard of any knowledgeable hunters. The only ones iv heard about run them with dogs.

44mag1
01-13-2010, 10:12 AM
I shirr wish i knew how to call coyotes. Seems like there is lots locally but i haven't heard of any knowledgeable hunters. The only ones iv heard about run them with dogs.

Its real addicting so be careful, any Randy Anderson video is a good place to start learning.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-13-2010, 10:18 AM
That is a big yote! They do grow that big around here, but I can't say that I have shot one that big before. Nice job. I have some buddies that hunt with dogs but I never really got into that. More fun to shoot 'em!

2shot
01-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Hey BB

I saw a couple coyote about that size up in Galena when I was bow hunting for deer this last season. The big ones are around like you say but don't get spotted that offen, probably how they get so big. Once this last firearms deer season get over then I'll try my luck at the yotes.

Talking to the farmers where I hunt in Galena they have 2 confirmed wolf kills on their livestock last year with one wolf being shot around Stockton (also a bear last year in Stockton). Word from the farmers is that the guy that shot the wolf got busted by the DNR when he reported it. I don't know if that is true or not because I haven't been able to confirm the story but if the DNR doesn't want it to get out that there are wolves in IL then we will never hear about it.

Cricco, that's about the biggest yote I've seen in a long time! Nice shooting!

2shot

cricco
01-13-2010, 09:15 PM
That ain't no sheit! Are you sure that isn't a wolf? Part wolf part dog?

Well, since wolves are protected, we only shoot coyotes....and "BIG" coyotes. ;)

Onlymenotu
01-13-2010, 09:55 PM
I haven't been able to confirm the story but if the DNR doesn't want it to get out that there are wolves in IL then we will never hear about it.
2shot

Oh the Dnr knows it 2 were killed over around Pike county last year... Dna test show they had migrated from Wis....... THEY NOW ARE PROTECTED * against the law to shoot*..... there was a write up in the State Journal Register

Here a link to the Illinois Endangered Species Protection Board (http://dnr.state.il.us/espb/)

MAMMALS
5 Endangered, 4 Threatened
Endangered
Corynorhinus rafinesquii Rafinesque's Big-eared Bat
Myotis austroriparius Southeastern Myotis
Myotis grisescens** Gray Bat
Myotis sodalis** Indiana Bat
Neotoma floridana Eastern Wood Rat
Threatened
Canis lupus** Gray/Timber Wolf
Ochrotomys nuttalli Golden Mouse
Oryzomys palustris Rice Rat
Spermophilus franklinii Franklin’s Ground Squirrel

I don't think it will be long and the little bears will be here too.... there are already a few in Mo...

2shot
01-13-2010, 10:39 PM
Oh the Dnr knows it 2 were killed over around Pike county last year... Dna test show they had migrated from Wis....... THEY NOW ARE PROTECTED * against the law to shoot*..... there was a write up in the State Journal Register

Here a link to the Illinois Endangered Species Protection Board (http://dnr.state.il.us/espb/)

I don't think it will be long and the little bears will be here too.... there are already a few in Mo...

Thanks for the link. I had one within 30 yards during bow season thinking it was a big yote coming to me but then I stopped because it would have been a 90+ pound yote and I knew that wasn't right. I had mixed feelings about seeing that wolf but I'm glad I didn't shoot. I bet the farmers wish I would have shot!

There were pictures in the local paper about the bear in Stockton. I'm sure if someone looked on line they could find them. Also a few reports of cougers and bobcats.

It's almost getting dangerous to go in the woods in northern IL. LOL

Charlie Sometimes
01-13-2010, 11:07 PM
Populations are on the way up on all predators, everywhere.
Killing the wolf (anywhere) will only be accepted when they start killing humans.
They need to quit hugging trees, and get back in touch with reality- open seasons year around.
The yotes aren't that big here- yet, but IS open all year.
They will be when they eventually cross with domestic big dogs, I fear.

We have bears, etc., too, but what is more dangerous is wild domestic hogs that go over a 1000 lb and run in packs!
That, and the 48 inch plus rattle snakes!