PDA

View Full Version : White Metal

BLTsandwedge
01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Three weeks ago at the range, an older gent (80?) gave me two 20lb cylinders of what he believed to be pure lead that had a bit of an oxide crust. He had them for decades.

I took them home and melted one down- 20lbs on the nose. Only problem was that is was oatmeal at 600f. Initially I thought it contained zinc. I cranked the temperature- as soon as it hit 650f. the melt turned to quicksilver- very, very low viscosity. Thinking 'oh, this is cool,' I ran a 4-cavity mould with it- I'd been running two Lymans for about an hour while I was melting the cylinder down, so the moulds were in-use and hot. First thing- this quicksilver stuff wasn't setting quickly. The 4-cavity I was pouring was a #401638 @ an average 174g with WW alloy. It was taking this stuff about 20 seconds to solidify- still at the same 650f. That didn't make much sense. When the boolits did come out, they were white-silver- and hard as a wedding night distal fibula. I had an idea what this stuff was. I took one of the #401638s and weighed it- 144g- 30g lighter than lead. Lastly, I tried to snip one in half with a bolt cutter- it shattered. I was fulching thrilled!

When I was a kid and just starting to cast, the old-timers used to rave about 'white metal.' It's babbitt. As in 90% tin, 7% antimony and 3% copper. That's what this stuff is. I've probably got the component percentages wrong, but in short, I've got 40lb of world-class hardener.

Yesterday at the range I into the gent that gave it to me. He confirmed that at some time in the past, he worked at a tire service shop that's long since gone. There they had a power transfer axle that spun tires- it sat on babbitt bearings. He'd picked up the bearing run-out and cast them into the cylinders for boat ballast. He'll check for me- he might have some more layin' about. Life's good.

Tom

44man
01-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Why do you do that to us guys! :mrgreen: You did nothing but make us drag our tongues in the dirt. :Fire:

DLCTEX
01-11-2010, 07:15 PM
OK, I'm jealous!

JIMinPHX
01-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Babbit is 90% tin, 7% antimony and 3% copper & shatters when cut with bolt cutters??? That doesn't sound right to me. I need to go look a few things up.

fatelk
01-12-2010, 01:28 AM
A couple years ago I missed out on about 2,000 pounds of babbit and WW ingots by one day. I knew the old guy that had them, said he had collected WWs for years and got the babbit from an old mill on the property he leased. He said he had a lifetime supply for his .30-06 and wouldn't ever sell me any.

I heard one day he lost his lease and had to move, so the next time I saw him I asked what he was going to do with the lead. He said he had just hauled it to the scrap yard the day before for 15 cents a pound![smilie=b:[smilie=b:

Lee
01-12-2010, 01:51 AM
Never mind the white metal, I'm lookin' up the distal fibula!!!................[smilie=1:

Bloodman14
01-12-2010, 09:27 AM
A distal fibula is an ankle bone; what that has to do with your wedding night is beyond me, unless you have some WEIRD activities planned!