PDA

View Full Version : Lube-a-Matic troubles. Dies doesn't fit.

Doc_Stihl
01-11-2010, 06:04 PM
I picked up a used RCBS Lube-A-Matic and I'm baffled. The sizer came with 1 die and it fits fine, but I went to put in a different die and they won't fit. The die that came with it is about a quarter inch shorter than ALL my other dies, I have old Lyman dies, old rcbs dies, new lyman dies and new RCBS dies and they're all the same length.

Anyone heard of old sizers that won't accept "standard" dies?

scrapcan
01-11-2010, 06:10 PM
I have an old LAM, not a LAM 2 and standard dies fit. Is your new to you sizer clean? How does the die that came with it compare to your other dies? I think the H&I die outside dimensions/size have been very consistant (almost 100 years due to old ideal sizers using the same dies).

It is very intersting, maybe a call to RCBS would clear the waters. They did a once over and replaced a few parts on my LAM as I was having issues with the lock ring holding dies on eject stroke, ended up being worn threads on the lock ring.

Doc_Stihl
01-11-2010, 08:03 PM
When I got the sizer home I melted the old lube out and cleaned it up.

I called RCBS and they told me to send them my RCBS dies back and they'd check them, apparantly I didn't get my point across.

Buckshot
01-12-2010, 01:27 AM
.............The RCBS and Lyman dies share the same external dimensions. Their length will average 1.557". The major OD of the die up at the "O" ring area which fit's inside the retaining nut will run about .720" possibly minus a couple thou. The balance of the die body will run .700", also possibly a couple thou under that. With the tolerances in mind both dies will be the same.

..............Buckshot

mack1
01-15-2010, 08:34 PM
I dont know if this will be any help but I my lyman with my new lyman 4500 would not accept a rcbs die. The die would not seat fully after polishing the bottom of the die with emery cloth it die seated fine.

01-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Hmmm...

RCBS dies fit in my 4500.

Frozone
01-15-2010, 09:42 PM
............ my new lyman 4500 would not accept a rcbs die. The die would not seat fully after polishing the bottom of the die with emery cloth it die seated fine.

I have a 4500 that was made during the last year or so.
I can't get the dies to seat properly in it. They are about 1/8" to long.
They do fit my older 4500 however. It would appear that the machining at the bottom of the bore is improperly machined.

I haven't worried about because I can get the dies to fit enough to use it.

Bent Ramrod
01-15-2010, 10:07 PM
There may be some projection or flash on the inside of the casting that interferes with the seating of the die. It might be interacting with the taper angle on the bottom end of the die, because the ones I measured are pretty close to the same length. I have a Lachmiller (predecessor to the Lube-A-Matic) that has the same problem. Some dies fit in fine, others don't quite seat. I was going to boil out the lube and go in there with a file and a flashlight but I got a Lyman 45 and use the dies that don't fit the Lachmiller in that.

mack1
01-16-2010, 12:25 AM
I did not suspect the sizer was the problem because other lyman dies fit fine, only had trouble with the rcbs die but I did not look so dont really know.