PDA

View Full Version : CB and Suppressors

OutHuntn84
01-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Had a thought yesterday, and yes it hurt a little. I was thinking about buying a new barrel for my glock. Well heck if I'm buying a new barrel might as well make it a threaded barrel. Well now if I get a threaded barrel I would be "required" to buy that suppressor I've been wanting.
So now to the meat of my question.
Can you shoot cast boolits through a suppressor. Anyone have experience with this? Any thoughts? Please include whether or not you have first hand knowledge of the subject.:Fire:

303Guy
01-11-2010, 06:12 PM
I have and do it with rifles. I even do it with cotton wool case filler and paper patched boolits. BUT, these are suppressors of my own design and making and they were specifically made for that sort of thing. They work so well that if a cleaning ball of cotton gets into one of the chambers, the next shot will suck it right out! (That's a full power load of course - a light load doesn't have the pressure). I cannot speak for commercial designs and besides, mine are overbarrel designs.

jbc
01-11-2010, 07:01 PM
From what I have seen in the past it is not a problem so long as you carefully choose the style of supressor that is easiest to dis-assemble and clean of lube residue. When you are shopping around at the class 3 dealers for your tube just let them know that you want to shoot cast from it and they should be able to steer you towards the best design for the purpose as there are many different baffle designs and some are easier to clean than others.

yondering
01-11-2010, 08:51 PM
What jbc said.

Also do some searching around on the silencertalk.com forums. You have to sign up, but it's free, just like here. Some folks on those forums will argue against it, but if you can take the suppressor apart to clean it, there's no good reason not too.

Also, many 22 rimfire cans cannot be dis-assembled by the user, but of course see nothing but soft lead bullets. Mine has a fair amount of buildup now (4-5K rounds) but is still quiet.

JeffinNZ
01-12-2010, 04:39 AM
Do it all the time in my suppressed .32-20 Martini.

Bloodman14
01-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Similar question; what about muzzle brakes on pistols/rifles? I put a compensator on my 1911, and am having problems with lead/lube/powder residue build-up.
My apologies for hi-jacking this thread.

truckmsl
01-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Hey Yondering,

When did they legalize suppressors in Washington? I must've missed the memo!

machinisttx
01-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Hey Yondering,

When did they legalize suppressors in Washington? I must've missed the memo!

IIRC, it is legal to possess a suppressor in WA, but not legal to use it.

303Guy
01-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Similar question; what about muzzle brakes on pistols/rifles?I built an enclosed brake that happened to reduce muzzle blast quite a bit. That might be legal in your parts. Mine was no bigger than a regular brake (which I call a 'muzzle blast intensifyer'!:mrgreen: And I won't allow anyone to go shooting with me with one.:Fire:

yondering
01-12-2010, 02:39 PM
IIRC, it is legal to possess a suppressor in WA, but not legal to use it.

Correct. You can take it to Oregon to shoot though. :Fire:

The "can't shoot it in Washington" is a state law, not a federal (ATF) law. They are legal to own here.