PDA

View Full Version : SBH grip framed .45 Colt

Wireman134
01-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Well my re surging interest in my Blackhawk and the .45 Colt have taken me to the next level. It's about time, I say. Ever since I first received my NM Blackhawk, I've wanted to put a real steel grip frame on this brute. Now with all the Bisely grip frame rage out there, there are take offs galore. I scored this "Liberty" gun one and Hunter grip panels for less than $100 shipped to my door. Fit is almost perfect, good enough for shoot for now. Left side ear needs a little metal removed but the factory blue is to pretty for the files. I will wait for a proper finish job to be in the works before I fit perfect. This is the grip frame I think Ruger should of put on all .45 Colt Blackhawks from the factory with the longer barrels, just like the SBH .44's. Only dilemma, which grips...LOL

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f96/Wireman134/SBHframeWalnut.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f96/Wireman134/SBHframe.jpg

Catshooter
01-11-2010, 08:18 PM
From one wireman to another, I'm dang glad they didn't put only those grip frames on the Blackhawks. Anything more that a little girl load raps my middle finger very painfully.

Welcome to the board, by the way.

Cat

targetshootr
01-11-2010, 10:17 PM
I'm like Cat, they brutalilze my knuckles but some shooters love em. Being 45 cal might help with less snap than a 44, more like a whoosh. I jerk wire also.

Ekalb2000
01-11-2010, 11:08 PM
I am one of the some. But I took a jewlers file to it to take the sharp edge off. I doo have a permanant bruise on my middle finger.
So I think your new grip frame looks awesome. (not biased, non the least)

andy

mroliver77
01-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Mine killed my knuckle too. I just got a set of Pacmeyers for it. Made a big difference! They fill the area behind the trigger guard and radius it out. It does move your hand down the grip some so little finger rides on the bottom edge of grip. Its a trade off that I can live with. I fired a cyl of full power loads and no knuckle busting! If there is a better way please do tell.
Jay

Dale53
01-13-2010, 01:55 AM
mroliver77;
You'll get no argument for me. I am a Pachmayr fan from way-y-y back!

They may not be pretty but they WORK!

Dale53

Piedmont
01-13-2010, 02:27 AM
Pachmayrs tear the skin on my palm when I have used them on a single action. SBHs have always been comfortable with the heaviest loads for me, but they always felt ungainly. They always felt too big for my hand, especially at the bottom. I had my gunsmith remove around 3/16" off the bottom of the backstrap and run a staight line up that ended at about half the distance of the grip. I then recontoured the grips and mated them to the gripframe. This helped the feel immensely. It is sort of like half Bisley. My smaller hand feels like it has a much better grip on the revolver.