PDA

View Full Version : .416 Taylor

caillouetr9981
01-11-2010, 05:53 PM
I have good loads for jacketd bullets for both of my .416 Taylor rifles, but would like to use reduced loads for 350gr. GC cast bullets at 1800 to 2000 fps to use on Whitetails - to see a little better expansion, hopefully (the jacketed bullets tend to zip right on through).

I am casting with a 9-parts WW and 1-part 50/50 solder mix that throws a beautiful bullet. I feel that this might be too hard, though and am considering either hollowpointing the bullets or going to straight WW.

Still, I need safe data for the reduced loads before I can work with the expansion issue. Any offerings?

bearmn56
01-13-2010, 03:45 PM
I have a .416 Taylor. I have a cast bullet mould that is a modified NEI 410410 that I had opened up to .417. The bullet from this mould lubed and GCd weighs 425 gr. I shoot it at about 1900 fps using a standard large rifle primer and 62.0 gr of Accurate 4064. This load will shoot thru a 12" pine tree and thru any animal that I hunt (elk and deer). Expansion is not important and lead boolits that are GCd and hard enough not to lead at 1900fps will act like solids. A hit with any .416 cast boolit will be deadly on deer. Another load that will be a good place to start is 30.0-35.0 gr of Accurate 5744. This will give velocities in the 1400-1600fps range. The 350 gr RCBS mould works great. However, the flat nose design can cause feeding problems in some rifles.
Hope this helps,
Bearmn56
Montana Territory

frank505
01-13-2010, 05:04 PM
our "test" for real loads is a section of huge mine truck tire. The stuff is 7 inches thick with about that many steel belts. It some doing to get my 416 T through, but a Mountain Molds 410 grain flat nose gas check with a case full of WC852(slow) will get the speed to 2100 and the bullet gets through. The action is a long box mauser so I can seat the bullet out and gain some powder capacity. My buddies 458 with 510's at 1960 will do it all day.
In the field I mostly use the 350 Speer at 2650. Shoots flat and holds together well in game. I've also got a bunch of the old 400 gr Hornady that shoot through buffalo well, dont know about the newer ones.

caillouetr9981
01-22-2010, 06:23 PM
I have a .416 Taylor. I have a cast bullet mould that is a modified NEI 410410 that I had opened up to .417. The bullet from this mould lubed and GCd weighs 425 gr. I shoot it at about 1900 fps using a standard large rifle primer and 62.0 gr of Accurate 4064. This load will shoot thru a 12" pine tree and thru any animal that I hunt (elk and deer). Expansion is not important and lead boolits that are GCd and hard enough not to lead at 1900fps will act like solids. A hit with any .416 cast boolit will be deadly on deer. Another load that will be a good place to start is 30.0-35.0 gr of Accurate 5744. This will give velocities in the 1400-1600fps range. The 350 gr RCBS mould works great. However, the flat nose design can cause feeding problems in some rifles.
Hope this helps,
Bearmn56
Montana Territory

Thanks for the reply.

Noted the picture of the Taylor rounds and have a quick question: With the 350 RCBS cast, we are noting that the bullet is engaging the rifling (slightly, but noticeably) - even when seated to the top of the rim above the crimp groove. Did you build your's with some freebore?

Reggie

bearmn56
01-22-2010, 07:02 PM
Reggie,
Actually my .416 Taylor is a modified Taylor. My chamber is exactly the same as the regular Taylor except for the neck length. I make cases out of .300 Win Mag. So the case length on my rifle is 2.600". Yes, the rifle is throated to take this cast bullet seated to the base of the neck. It is also throated to take jacketed bullets intended for the .416 Rigby. Rigby .416 bullets have the cannelure .100" further back towards the rear of the bullet. With Rigby bullets seated to the cannelure in the long neck gives me more useable space in the case. For example, using a 410gr Woodleigh Weldcore, I load 80.0gr of H4350 for a muzzle velocity of 2325fps. This load is compressed. I shoot a 450gr Woodleigh Weldcore with 78.0gr of H4350 for a MV of 2200fps.

The extra lenght of the loaded round at 3.450" required that the Mk 10 Whitworths magazine be filed out slightly on both ends to accomodate the extra length. The rifle was originally a .458 Win.

Putting a little extra throat in your rifle might be beneficial.

Bearmn56
Montana Territory

caillouetr9981
02-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Have been working up loads with Trail Boss powder under the 350gr RCBS casts and am getting amazing accuracy, but the velocity is low - 1200fps, with NO variation. Have been getting groups so small that they are hard to measure! My son says that these loads are a pure joy to shoot (due to the accuracy, sure, but also the negligible recoil).

While I am fairly certain that any Whitetail hit with these loads will be terminally ill, I am still trying to workup loads that will get me to 1800fps. Am now trying AA-2015 to get there.

The weather is getting in the way, but I hope to have some satisfying results soon.

Reggie

palten
10-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Hi I'm new to this forum, I just found it when looking for subsonic loads for my .416 Taylor rifle. If I can get a good load that works well, stable and decent accuracy. I will apply for a silencer permit. Seems like there is experience regarding reduced loads in this forum.

I would like to find a good sub load, based on Trailboss powder if possible. That powder is available where I live, not that common with american powders where I live, due to export restrictions in the US. Norma and Vithavori is the powders that are cheap and easily available in Sweden.

I havent found out what twist I have got in my rifle but i can get that info from my gunsmith who rebareled my rifle.

Looks like "ca5tb00lits" got a load pretty close what I'm looking for, how much trailboss powder do you use for those velocities (1200 fps with 350 grns bullet)?

Are there any good premade bullets availble for this purpose? I would like to buy ready made bullets if possible. Casted bullets are fine, but dont want to cast my self. It is hard to get good lead for this purpose, due to all restrictions of using lead. It would be much easier to just buy premade bullets.

When it comes to diameter I guess its .417 for cast bullets that are the correct size?

Nobade
10-12-2012, 07:56 AM
Hi there all, thought I would chime in here. My Taylor rifle is cut with an off the shelf reamer from Dave Kiff, aka PTG. It has quite a long throat, so I got Tom @ Accurate molds to make me a boolit to fit. Number 41-390-P casts out at .411", gets sized to .410" and patched to .4165 with onionskin paper. This boolit fits to the base of the neck and lightly engages the lands at the same time.

Loaded over a case full of IMR 7383 it does 1850 fps, and a case full of WXR gets 2000 fps. IMR 4350 is good for 2050 fps. All these loads are close to MOA - 1.5 MOA depending on how well I am shooting that day. By paper patching, I can shoot pure lead or a mix of something like 20:1 for extremely good performance on game. Or harden the boolits for deeper penetration, whatever is desired.

Other, faster powders also work well by using BPI shot buffer as a filler to take up the space. Ex. 55gr. Varget shot quite well, as did 50gr. IMR 3031. That is a nice thing about this cartridge, it seems able to use a very wide variety of powders like the 45-70 can depending on how much power you desire, or recoil you care to experience!

I haven't tried it with normal grease groove boolits yet, but do have the RCBS mould on order as well as a sizer and a box of gas checks. I am looking forward to seeing how it shoots with those.