PDA

View Full Version : What mold?

DeadWood
01-11-2010, 02:39 PM
While waiting for equipment to show up, trying to educate myself on this hobby, I got to thinking.......

What does one look for when buying/looking for a mold? (besides caliber)

RobS
01-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Will it fit my gun would be my first thought and then what is my intended purpose for the bullet i.e. target shooting, hunting, or both with the consideration of short range or long range accuracy.

Will it fit my gun:
meaning is this bullet going to work with the throat of let say my rifle (too long/short or too wide/narrow) or will these bullets cast the right diameter for my barrel groove diameter. One might also ask themselves will this bullet design be of the right weight for the twist rate of my gun (more so with rifles but can be a consideration with heavy bullets in revolvers). Shooting revolvers it is always good to have a bullet that is fitted to the cylinder throats. And yet another consideration is to have a gas check or not which is another indept discussion.

There is probably more but that covers many considerations to explore prior to purchasing a mold. There is always the fact that some guns just prefer different designs and alloy hardnesses etc (they are all different and yet all the same).

Rob

01-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Depends on cartridge and use. Specifically- what cartrdge, gun, intended use, objective velocity? Gun- what are the bore specs- bore diameter, groove diameter? Lever guns need bullet crimp groove or enough neck tension so bullets in magazine won't get set back into cartridge. Bullets for tube mags need to be flat point. And many lever guns can be limiting on cartridge OAL and picky about nose shape. If stack magazine gun- how long is the magazine? If the throat in the gun is really long or worn then cartridge OAL less than magazine length will be the limiting length factor not the chamber/throat. Needs of revolvers will be different from needs of semi-autos. These type questions could go on and on when trying to judge which mold or bullet for a particular application. Details are everything.

JSnover
01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
After the caliber would be the weight and the profile, based on what you want to do with it. Hollow point, or hollow base? Gas check? Each is more complex than a plain base or a solid. At low-medium velocity you won't need a gas check. Keep things simple until you get some casting experience. In my opinion the sides of the lube grooves should be angled for an easier release from the mold. Heavier boolits will be longer, so you may have to seat them further out in order to make room for the powder. On the other hand you may have to seat them deeper in order to feed/chamber, leaving less room for the powder. Confused yet? :)

DeadWood
01-12-2010, 02:05 AM
Weapon = Win. 94AE .30-.30 Trapper(1in12twist have to double check)

Purpose of boolit = target shooting(steel plates, milk jugs etc.) AND Deer Hunting with the possiblity of taking a coyote(not worried about pelt). Just general learning how to cast and handload for

Range = 50-150yards

Weight= 150-170gr

Gas check until i learn and understand enough to form a better opinion.

Do you buy a mold with specific size (.309 for example) or do you size the boolit after its cast for your needs?

Were should i start looking for good deals for first mold? once i decide what i want? or just buy new?

Do the still make the Lyman 311440? seems Iv'e read alot of good things on this mold. hoping to get some already cast to try.

01-12-2010, 10:42 AM
That's useful info. Since it's a newer Win, I imagine the groove diameter would be close to .308. When you get a mold just hope it casts as advertised. In 30-30s I've shot both the Lyman 311041 and RCBS 30-150-FN GC with good results. I cast and shoot the Lym 311041 in 30-30s. Others like the Lee C309-150-F. All these are designed with the tube magazine, 30-30 in mind. You'll need to size and seat the gas check with something. The best, simple sizer to do that job would be the Lee push through bullet sizer (.309).
Most basic steps. Cast, press on gas check, lightly lube, push through a .309 sizer, pan lube, load, shoot. Of course there's a bit more to it, but that's the basics. For loading, I also like the Lyman M die or RCBS equivalent for neck expanding... may have to be added to the dies you have.

Oh almost forgot. Don't expect accuracy and performance to equal or exceed good jbullet loads in that gun. That would include velocities of 2200 fps and accuracy equal to jbullets out to 150 yards. Expect good accruacy and good target results up to 100 yards at quite a bit lower velocities. Can those be achieved with cast- yes. Is it hard to do- yes. Some frustration to follow if expectations are set too high in the beginning.

runfiverun
01-12-2010, 12:44 PM
405 i was right with you till that last paragraph.
in the 30-30 i expect my cast boolits to equal or better jacketed performance.
the rcbs 150 fngc will shoot just as good as jacketed up in the 2000-2200 fps zone.
it glides through a 94 and manipulation of the alloy will allow you to duplicate j word performance for hunting.
there are a couple of calibers that just are capable of a toss up between cast and j-words.and the 30-30 is one of them.

01-12-2010, 05:30 PM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Never said it couldn't be done... just said it is hard to do... or I haven't been so lucky. Report back on results :)

01-12-2010, 05:37 PM
DeadWood,

Recently bought an old Ideal 308291 -- Lyman's new number is 311291 -- that drops a 174 grain boolit cast of straight wheel weights. Only been able to shoot about 20 rounds, so I'm still in the experimental stage, but it appears to be a keeper.

Going to try it in the K-31 sisters and an '03-A3, also.

Firebricker
01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Deadwood, Lyman 311041 shoots very good out of my Win 94 and out of my friends Marlin 336 and the 336 has a micro-groove barrel. I think it would be a good mould to start with.
FB

Tazman1602
01-12-2010, 05:59 PM
You can't go wrong with this one:

CLICK HERE (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=128710)

Lyman 311041 shoots great out of my Win 94 30-30. Couldn't tell you about hunting performance but all the good attributes are there, these' guys just got me going on hunting with cast.

Watch out for your wallet, it's an addiction...................