PDA

View Full Version : Best pot?

DevilDog83
01-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Ok, now that I've burned up my 4th "Lee" $50.00 pot, time to spend more money, which other brand is best, will be using the pot about 10 hours or so per week

Edubya
01-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I've been very pleased with my RCBSPro.
Isn't there a two year warranty on the Lees?
EW

primersp
01-11-2010, 12:01 PM
i have a lee for many years ,find a rcbs second hand works great
i use once a month 3/4 hours .

DevilDog83
01-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Lee will replace it, I have dealt with Lee for years and they are a great company and I love their products for the money,,,, it just always seems that something breaks right when you need it most. Think it's time for the RCBS

59sharps
01-11-2010, 01:17 PM
buy the lee 40-20 send the other back for repair should only cost you shipping. then you will have a spare. I have both the lee and RCBS. like them both equaly.
had the 10 # pot needed something bigger bought the RCBS. Then wanted another pot bought the Lee 40-20 and sold the 10#.

454PB
01-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Me thinks you're really unlucky.

I own three Lee pots, the oldest was purchased over 35 years ago, has cast probably 50K boolits, and still works fine.

01-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Get the magma 45 lb or 90 lb pot and never look back.

AriM
01-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Get the magma 45 lb or 90 lb pot and never look back.

+1....they even sell a PID controller for it....I imagine that this pot would be the best for the ladle caster....for just a bit more you could get the cast-master though....

Firebricker
01-11-2010, 05:54 PM
I just bought a RCBS and am very happy with it. The Lee pro 20 I bought a few years ago still sits beside the new RCBS to have another batch up to temp. I like the RCBS much better but for the money the Lee has been good to me. FB

rob45
01-11-2010, 05:54 PM
All of the commercial pots have their pros and cons.

Your choice will most likely depend upon budget. If you can afford it, additional capacity is always nice due to (usually improved) temperature stability.

I have an RCBS. It holds temp steadier than my Lees, but the RCBS still leaks; amazingly, one of my 4-20s does not leak like they are known to do. Maybe it's all in how I maintain it??

The Lees that I have (two 4-20s) are used in a piggyback fashion- one is premelting and pouring into the other below that is used for casting. This is an effort to keep the temps consistent due to the fact that the Lee likes to get really hot once it's down to about half empty, and I don't like waiting to turn it down and restabilize. Many people here use the piggyback method or even modify the temperature control (PID, etc.) to overcome that problem; others stick with the method of adding ingots as they use the lead.
For me, the RCBS has always done a good job of maintaining consistent temp, and it is well built, but it will cost you.

As mentioned by 686, you will definitely be happy with a Magma, but your piggybank might have to go on a diet.

It all comes down to what you need and what you can afford. Some are more convenient to use than others, and some are more economical. Some of us are more "flexible" in our ability to adapt to the various needs of our equipment, but in the end all of the stuff out there will get the job done.

I am definitely a believer of having backup equipment, so I would take what you have and get it repaired, plus have an extra to keep casting while the other is down.
For that matter, a feasible option (actually a requirement for some of my larger bullets) is to have a hotplate/burner with a pot and ladle.

Good Luck.

OutHuntn84
01-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Best pot?

Well I knew this guy named Reiko, down on the south side of town.......sorry couldn't resist :kidding:

Lee is usually really good about taking care of their customers. Shouldn't be to much trouble in getting it fixed. Heck if ya have to, buy two so you can still cast while the other is getting fixed. lol Sure beats spending a big chunk of cash on another brand of pot. Thats just my lil opinion.

mike in co
01-11-2010, 06:10 PM
actually the stuff up in northern kalifirnica, in the mountais/coastland has a decent rep.....

tahoe area is only a summer grown product.....

not not ask/do not tell

montana_charlie
01-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Ok, now that I've burned up my 4th "Lee" $50.00 pot,
Are you like some who post here, and you run the pot wide open at all times?

Just trying to figure out how you go through so many...
CM

anachronism
01-11-2010, 08:58 PM
You can buy heating elements & rheostats for LEE pots & repair them yourself.

DevilDog83
01-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Yes I do run wide open, my fault I guess, not "Lee's". I have always used and will continue to use the Lee products, maybe just go a little easier on them, thanks for all the input and advice

David2011
01-12-2010, 01:16 AM
Go slower and run two Lee pots at the same time? My RCBS is roughly 30 years old with no problems so over the long haul maybe it's not so expensive.

David

ebg3
01-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Yes I do run wide open, my fault I guess, not "Lee's". I have always used and will continue to use the Lee products, maybe just go a little easier on them, thanks for all the input and advice
Hey, I know you! How are you killing all those Lee pots? Are they just burning out? Should be able to fix them and have backups. I just bought a Lee 20lber to replace a very well used 10lber and I've really been pleased. See you at Pitt Co. on the 4th Saturday.
Eddie

MT Gianni
01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Unplug them when you are done.

sheepdog
01-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Not sure its possible to burn up a Lee pot unless one is doing something like running it in a confined space. Even so Lee will replace it, even if its ancient. I sent in a 1st gen 20 punder and got it back a nice new one in the box.

montana_charlie
01-12-2010, 01:41 PM
If you (or anybody else) is thinking about changing to a different brand of pot, look at the 'reconditioned' page on the Lyman site. Three pots at substantialy discounted prices.
If I didn't have the Waage K-4757, I would seriously consider their 20-pound Mag Dipper.
CM

Texasflyboy
01-12-2010, 03:23 PM
Ok, now that I've burned up my 4th "Lee" $50.00 pot, time to spend more money, which other brand is best, will be using the pot about 10 hours or so per week

I am partial to the "build your own" brand.....:-D

Cast Boolits Model 1 Casting Pot (http://hgmould.gunloads.com/newpot/instructions.htm)