PDA

View Full Version : New Marlin XL 7. Any tips or opinions?

TDC
01-11-2010, 03:40 AM
Well.... I had planned to pick up a Stevens 22-250 and a 30-06 at a local store. They were on a good sale but I got there too late..

They showed me a new Marlin XL 7 and I was impressed, especially when I was shown the price. All they had were .270s and the sale was for in-stock guns only.

I looked it over and found the trigger was actually very good. It seemed much like a Savage "Accu-trigger". The rifle stock seemed a bit better than the Stevens with a roll-over cheek rest and a blacker synthetic stock . It included a scope bridge with the gun which the Stevens didn't. The recoil pad felt much like a Limbsaver and not like the harder rubber of the Stevens.

I had posted a request for info on the 200 and got some great responses and recommendations... I knew nothing about the Marlins... I was ready to buy the Stevens...

When they showed me the price on the XL 7 I was sold. With the stores $30 off on all in-stock rifles the price was $243 .... about $30 less than the Stevens.... I wanted a 22-250 primarily for varmint hunting and an 06 for a "beat around" rifle but I took the .270 because, in my area, it was a price I just couldn't pass up and I have all the re-loading components already...

How did I do? What are your experiences? What do you recommend for modifications or changes? Good.. Bad .... Indifferent....

I understand these rifles are available with a camo stock for about $22 extra. If anyone has a "take-off" I'd be interested in buying it....

BTW... the barrel bolt looks almost identical to the Stevens. Could it be??

Thanks!

TDC

Nrut
01-11-2010, 05:03 AM
You did good!...Feel better now? :mrgreen:

I bought one in 708 in late Nov... Lot'sa rifle for the bucks, and yes you can use Savage barrels and barrel wrench on your new Marlin to make a switch barrel rifle..
Link here:
http://www.usa-shooters.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=346

Check out Cabelas A&B Sav. barrels.......
This rifle may cost you more than you thought..:shock:

Have fun with you new Marlin TDC..

TDC
01-12-2010, 02:00 AM
Well, Nrut...

Looks like it's just you and me on this one...:smile:

I cleaned the rifle today, mounted a scope, detachable swivels, adjusted the trigger (3.5 lbs) and got it ready to shoot tomorrow. Already have some old work-up loads for my 270 No.1 (Norma MRP with Nosler 130 and 150 Partitions) so that should move the process along. I'll be trying cast loads a little later for this one. I'd hoped to get some accuracy opinions but apparently that wasn't to be.

I was so impressed with the rifle for the price I called the store and bought the only short action they had left. It's a 243 and a good caliber I don't already have in my cabinet. Pick it up tomorrow..

I've been a handgun hunter and shooter almost exclusively for three decades and haven't bought a rifle during that time frame. Looking for a inexpensive but functional rifle was really enlightening, and in a positive way.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my choice. I received lots of good input on the Stevens 200s and I expect I'd own them if they hadn't all been sold. I've gotta say though, that this turned out to be the better choice for me in the end.

I guess I'd add if anyone is looking for something similar to what I was looking for, it would definitely be worth their time to look at one of these Marlin XL-7s. Very best "bang for the buck" rifle choice, IMHO....

Thanks again for the reply, Nrut...;-)

Nrut
01-12-2010, 06:36 AM
TDC,
You might check out the Marlin Forum for load data..
There are a few fellows over there that have MXL 7's in .270..
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/board,78.0.html

Blammer
01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
I like the marlin xl7's.

I had one in 30-06, had it rebarreled to 35 whelen. I like it.

great gun for the money.

DKA
01-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Great choice, you made the right decision in my opinion. I have a 243 in XS7 and it was a tack driver out of the box. Probably the best buy in a rifle at this time.

AKsoldier
01-23-2010, 12:52 PM
The Marlin X series rifles have been getting outstanding reviews. A lot of folks think the price is going to jump soon. I'm getting the XS7 in .243 for predators and blacktail deer, and just for shootin'.

I read one review where a fella got sub-moa groups with his XS7 .243 right out of the box.

Nrut
01-23-2010, 05:35 PM
I see were Marlin announced at the SHOT show that they are going to make these rifles in stainless..
Lipsey's has them listed on their site..
http://www.lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx?mfg=Marlin&family=XS7+Series&model=XS7

TDC
01-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks Guys....

I bought one in .243 too. Have a 4X12 scope on order for it so I'm waiting to try their accuracy at the range at the same time.

For everyone's info it's reported Marlin is going to announce the offering of an XS-7 in 22-250 at the SHOT Show this week. That's sure to set the rifle on fire in the varminter world.. If they do I'm going to try to buy one of those next year too. (Don't tell my wife...):-)

If anyone orders one and wants it with a synthetic stock, order it with the camo stock and I'll trade ya - pay all the shipping...