PDA

View Full Version : Help please with fishing sinker moulds.

ihmsakiwi
01-11-2010, 12:04 AM
I am having problems using a set of multi ball fishing sinkers.
There are six ball sinkers in the mould with a rod slot that goes through the middle so that when set you can break the mould in half lengthwise and withdraw the rod it leaves the hole for the line.
I have tried chromed bicycle spokes as the rod but it is not easy (impossible) to withdraw it.
Is there a preffered material that the lead will release easier from?

Peter

Mumblypeg
01-11-2010, 12:13 AM
The one I have has a copper or copper plated rod. Works OK but I do wax or wipe it with an oily rag from time to time. Maybe yours needs sanding or polishing to make it smoother.

357maximum
01-11-2010, 12:37 AM
I have the Do-It egg sinker moulds that are set up the same way.
This is what I did when they tried my patience:

Polish the brass rod with 0000 steel wool.
Spray the rods with silicone spray
Remove that rod as soon as the last lead puddle shows solid....faaast as you can.

If you still have issues...I did......get a spare set of rods and alternate them in sequence as the cool rod causes a whole lot less stress.

KYCaster
01-11-2010, 02:17 AM
In a ho-made mold, I used stainless steel welding rod. It's been a long time ago but I don't remember having any problems.

Jerry

10 ga
01-11-2010, 12:05 PM
I cast a bunch of different types of sinkers including egg type and net sinkers. I have a commercial permit and fish/crab/clam/oyster in Chesapeake Bay. Make sure the rod is smooth and give it a good coating of STP each pour. The sinkers will not stick and slide off easy. I just wipe it with a small rag soaked in STP for each pour. Learned that trick years ago. OH yeah, wear gloves as the rod will be HOT. Best, 10 ga

Johnch
01-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Bull shop lube works great on the rod

As said before polish the rod

I heat the rod with a propane torch

As I found I had no problems when the rod was hot

After heating the first time
I wipe on some Bull plate lube and start casting

John

Tom W.
01-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Aluminum....