PDA

View Full Version : Gass checks on heavy weight bullets?

Changeling
01-10-2010, 06:17 PM
This is for my information because I am a little confused about something.

While looking at the custom bullet makers I notice that a lot of them when they get into the "Heavy for Caliber" bullets they mostly have a lot of gas check models. Now if this is for rifle shooters I can understand it but why would a revolver shooter need gas checks for loads under 1400 fps?

Yes I saw it, wasn't talking about Gasssss, I'm safe today, I meant Gas checks.

Wayne Smith
01-10-2010, 06:25 PM
You don't, but, do you know a common revolver cartridge that isn't also chambered in a rifle? Don't assume the manufacturers make what is sensible, they make what sells.

stubshaft
01-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Not to mention getting 300fps+ more out of an Encore or Tender because theres no B/C gap and they have more barrel to burn powder.

missionary5155
01-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Good evening
My understanding of gas check NEED is based upon actual boolit base PRESSURE and not so much FPS. A soft mix will need a GC before a hard mix being pushed by the same chamber pressure. So when I fire a heavy for caliber boolit (Example 285+ gr in 41 mag) at 1200 fps a hard mix NO GC fares much better than a Soft mix (1-20) without a gas check. But with a GC that 1-30 will not leave much lead behind (If any) and on target will make a healthy whole due to expansion. The Hard boolit will also not leave any mess behind BUT will not expand much at all and may shatter on a heavy shoulder joint. All this again at the same chamber pressure.
You can compare light boolits. pretty much ends up the same. Light chamber pressure no need. Heavy Magnum chamber pressure and soft boolit bases begin to suffer.

stubshaft
01-10-2010, 07:55 PM
You are correct Missionary;

However you CANNOT increase velocity without increasing pressure. As you well know also that some hard boolits with GC can have severe leading if they do not fit the bore properly, as opposed to a softer alloy that obturates to fit the bore.

Edubya
01-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Takes a lot of oomph to get a 300 grainer moving to a speed that wil sustain flight for a distance.
EW

EOD3
01-10-2010, 11:19 PM
However you CANNOT increase velocity without increasing pressure.

I beg to differ sir.

IMHO, velocity at a given chamber/barrel pressure is determined by the shape of the time/pressure curve.

Harvesting nits is only a hobby, not a profession. :razz:

anachronism
01-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Heavyweight bullets are offered with gas checks because some people demand them that way, for whatever reason they may have. Some people feel a cast bullet is incomplete without a gas check. Some people actually have a need for such things. Some rough bores won't shoot well without one, hell, some really nice looking barrels won't shoot well without one. Not all circumstances are the same.

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2010, 08:48 AM
my thoughts are this. Ive allways had better luck with gas checked bullets. It usually take less load development to get an accurte load. With a big bore like a .512 or simular i dont shoot near the volume as i do say 44s or 45s and even in the 44 and 45 i mostly shoot 250s for plinking so the cost of an added gas check means little to me for the few i shoot. I can get a box of a 1000 gas checks and that willl cover all the 500 linebaugh shooting ill do for a year. For the 30 bucks i spend i get less agrivation developing loads and never have to worry about leading. Now if your talking loading and shooting 500 44s to blast up in a day the added price will make a big differrnce. Another thing gas checks will do was stated in an earlier post. It will allow you to use softer alloys if you want to play with expansion or with hollow pointed bullets.

Changeling
01-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks for all the information, it makes better sense when I look at it from your perspectives and experience.

Bucks Owin
01-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Good post Lloyd. Myself, I mainly shoot straight WW alloy, water dropped. I expect brinnel is around 18? Whatever it is, when sized to fit the throats -.001", I get very, very little leading in the 1100 to 1400 fps range, .357, .44 and .45 LC with most any ol' kinda lube. (I also use LLA on most every bullet I shoot, cast or otherwise. Can't hurt!)...FWIW, Dennis