PDA

View Full Version : Beef Brisket

redneckdan
01-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Anybody have any suggestions for beef brisket? I picked a 12lber up on a whim today and didn't relize till I got home that the grill is buried under about 4 foot of snow.... Any good oven recipes out there?

TCLouis
01-10-2010, 07:33 PM
RND

What part of January, MI, Snow all the way up to your . . .

Send me the brisket.

Ok, since you won't do that, try one of these:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/delegate.do?fnSearchString=brisket+of+beef&fnSearchType=site

Gee_Wizz01
01-11-2010, 12:03 AM
My wife has a recipe for an oven roasted brisket that is wonderful, as a matter of fact I am sitting up waiting for it to finish up in the oven, before I can go to bed! "No Honey, I don't mind staying up and taking it out of the oven" and doing a taste test before I go to bed! She found the recipe on the Web and has been using it about a year, its real good, it takes between 6 and 8 hours to cook and it just falls apart when you open the foil covering. If you still need it tomorrow let me know.

G

stocker
01-11-2010, 12:32 AM
I got this method from a rancher friend who lives in Texas and occasionally does one in an oven when the weather isn't right to use his big smoker cooker.

Give the brisket a light coat of common mustard and then apply the spice rub of your choice and place in a large flat roaster pan.

Mix a bottle of Kitchen Bouquet with a cup of beef stock. You can also add a couple of tablespoons of liquid smoke if you want. Pour evenly all over the brisket.

Seal the brisket in the roaster with tin foil, tightly.

Place in oven at 225F. I usually allow about 1 to 1 and 1/4 hours per pound of brisket.

When it's done it should almost feel like you're sticking your testing fork in jelly.

Drain pan and tent tightly in foil and let rest for about an hour. You won't be able to slice it without it falling apart if you don't do this resting.

You can make gravy from the pan stock but it is best to refrigerate it to set the fat on the top for removal from stock. It will be a powerful gravy base that you may wish to dilute a bit to mellow the flavor.

redneckdan
01-11-2010, 12:17 PM
If you still need it tomorrow let me know.

G

if you don't mind typing it up I'd love to see it.

-Dan

Gee_Wizz01
01-12-2010, 12:17 AM
if you don't mind typing it up I'd love to see it.

-Dan

Redneckdan

My wife is working a 12 hr shift this evening and wont be home until I am asleep. She left me one of the recipes, it's very good, but not as good as the "Family Recipe" its also for a 6lb brisket. This one can be done in a crock pot or the oven.

Place 5-6lb brisket on a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil.
Sprinkle generously with
1/2 Bottle of Liquid Smoke
1/2 tsp Celery Salt
1/2 tsp Onion Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
Fold foil around brisket and seal well to prevent juices from leaking out.

Place in large crockpot and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours.
or
Place in 220 degree oven for approx 6 hours more or less, its done when it just falls apart.

I think my wife and I will be working the same schedule tomorrow and I'll try to get the "family recipe" for you.

G

Lee
01-12-2010, 01:59 AM
All the recipes are good. My own favorite is onion soup, beef broth, white wine, onion slices, whole mushrooms, the brisket of course, salt, pepper, garlic. Wrap the whole mess in tin foil and into the oven at 300 degrees for........4 to 6 to 8 to 10 hours. THAT'S the secret. Pick a temperature, add whatever you want to the mix, but ALWAYS do a SLOW temp for a LONG time. Fully cooked the brisket remains "stringy" enough to provide texture, while melting in your mouth.......:drinks:

two dogs
01-12-2010, 10:05 AM
use whatever spices you like outside but make a pocket in it and add stuffing first.slow cook in oven at least 8 hrs.melts in your mouth.

redneckdan
01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
I have Lee's recipe in the crock pot right now, been cooking since 10 this morning. Its done but unfortunately I won't have time to sit down to dinner til 9pm tonight....guess it will just have to simmer a while longer.......:drinks: Oh ya.....its 8F and blizzarding at the moment.....take that all you southerners.....:kidding:

TCLouis
01-27-2010, 08:23 PM
here it is a bitterly cold 46.

Water is not even hard enough to walk on, let alone fish through.

waksupi
01-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Geez, Dan a half bottle of liquid smoke, is a lot!

pmeisel
01-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Just got off the phone with a Michigan friend. IMO Mississippi is the best of all the "M" states... better weather, better looking girls, less traffic....

brisket sounds good....

redneckdan
01-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Ric, no liquid smoke, I used the recipe in post #7.

archmaker
01-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Just for my friends :)

1/4 cup of coarse sea salt
1/4 cup of packed Brown Sugar
1/4 cup of Paprika
3 TBS of black pepper
1 TBS of Garlic powder
1/2 TBS Onion Powder
1/2 TBS of Cayenne
1/2 TBS of Chipolte
1/4 TBS of Mustard powder
1/4 TBS of Cumin

Makes a small batch (largest batch required a 5 gallon bucket, used it in one weekend) , typically I use about a1/4 cup per brisket.

Rub the brisket the night before cooking, place in UNSCENTED (vanilla scent bags are a NO-NO!!!) garbage bag and place in refridge.

Place in oven with a drip pan fat side up for about 6 hours at 225, pull out wrap in tinfoil sealing it up real good, and put pack in oven fat side up for another 4 hours. Pull out, let rest for about 30 minutes open up and serve.

I like to take my brisket and ribs when I cook a batch on the smoker, put them into "packages" of about 1/3 brisket, some juice, and maybe some fat and freeze. All I have to do is pop it in the oven warm it up slowly and serve. - Not to bad.

Lunk
01-29-2010, 04:55 AM
I'd go for the recipe in #7 as you did.
When I've braised them in the oven at work I usually just put it in with some beef stock, pepper, garlic and onions. Seal it well and roast nice and low.

We also smoke them here every Saturday we brine in beer for a day first and then hit it with the yellow mustard and house dry rub like Stocker suggested then smoke at about 175F for 5-6 hours. Have a pan below it to catch the juices and use those to make a smokey, beefy sauce for it. And yes we smoke EVERY Saturday, I've been out there throwing snowballs at co-workers while feeding the fire box or pulling the ribs. :D

scrapcan
01-29-2010, 11:09 AM
If your brisket is too large to go int the crock pot, just get out the electric roaster! Slow roast that bad boy with any o fhte above recipes and tehn in a week or two try one of the others. Brisket is one of my favorites.

I have two bison briskets that need to find there way to the cooking spot. Hmmm sound like a good thing to do this weekend.

Also that #6 recipe will work good for ribs also, as will mos tof these other recipes. When the weather is frightful, we in windy or cold places can still have our brisket and ribs.

reloader28
01-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Just bring the brisket over to my house next time.

We get so much wind and weather that I put a big BBQ grill in the tool- room of the Man Cave.

I built a big, vented hood over the grill with some sheet metal, an old box fan and a clamp on lamp.

Works awesome. Sucks out over 90% of any smoke.

I can move the grill and lift a hinged workbench and cast bullets there too.

Fold the bench back down and slide the smoker in place, and presto! Instant smokehouse.

Outside, it was 12 below zero when I smoked a turkey for Christmas this year.

Its terrible. Put a steak on the grill or a pork loin on the smoker and go into the next room and get a drink from the bar and play pool or air hockey or foos ball..... Or,go into the next room and its the reloading room.

This is MY part of the house and luckily the wife likes my grilling and smoking and wants me out there alot.

All I do is sacrifice.:groner:

Lee
01-30-2010, 12:14 AM
Oh yeah! You can do the same recipe with a cheap steak. Tough, freezer burned, whatever, it doesn't matter.
The only difference is time, and potatoes. Cook it 60-90 minutes. Then open the tin foil and throw in a mess of chopped up potatoes chunks. Wrap back up and go another 45 to 60 minutes to cook the potatoes. Don't destroy the juice by making gravy out of it. The above times will vary depending on the size of the cut. Wrapped up it won't dry out, of course, and the wine does a great job of tenderizing even the toughest cut of meat. I've used table wines, drinking wines, cooking wines, whatever.
Good!
(The above freezes well also, for quick meals. I make up small portions of the leftovers to take to work for "lunch")......................Lee:razz: